Monkey Grip now supported!

  • gsbingl
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 29, 2002
      Just CVS'd the mods for this.

      If you've already got a character with Monkey Grip, you will need to
      go to the Feats tab and select the appropriate weapon.

      Should also apply the -2 attack modifier for wielding a 2-handed
      weapon 1-handed. (This was the nasty, evil part to code)

      Try to break it. Enjoy!

      Byngl
    • elves_are_mortal
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 29, 2002
        Hi.

        Is Gigantic Weapon now supported? It's from the Netbook of Feats,
        and three of the members of our group have it. It's the natural
        extention of Monkey Grip: the character can wield a weapon two sizes
        larger than himself with two hands, at a negative 2 penalty.

        Thanks,
        Mortal_Elf
      • Dan Young
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 30, 2002
          So, how do you get ahold of the changes to test it? I can't seem to spot it
          in the CVS area on Sourceforge... (Admittedly, I don't know what I'm doing,
          but that's why I'm asking. Heh.)

          Dan

          > If you've already got a character with Monkey Grip, you will need to
          > go to the Feats tab and select the appropriate weapon.
          >
          > Should also apply the -2 attack modifier for wielding a 2-handed
          > weapon 1-handed. (This was the nasty, evil part to code)
          >
          > Try to break it. Enjoy!
          >
          > Byngl

        • merton_monk
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 30, 2002
            To get the alpha version of PCGen you have 2 options:
            1. use CVS (only for those who want to build PCGen, so really only
            developer-types would want to use this option)
            2. visit rpg.plamber.net/pcgen and grab pcgen from there. It's
            rebuilt every few hours
            Somtimes things are broken in the alpha build, but generally it's in
            pretty good shape.

            -Bryan

            --- In pcgen@y..., "Dan Young" <unknown@t...> wrote:
            > So, how do you get ahold of the changes to test it? I can't seem
            to spot it
            > in the CVS area on Sourceforge... (Admittedly, I don't know what
            I'm doing,
            > but that's why I'm asking. Heh.)
            >
            > Dan

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Dan Young
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 30, 2002
              Thanks. Alpha tester superpowers, engage!

              Dan

              > To get the alpha version of PCGen you have 2 options:
              > 1. use CVS (only for those who want to build PCGen, so really only
              > developer-types would want to use this option)
              > 2. visit rpg.plamber.net/pcgen and grab pcgen from there. It's
              > rebuilt every few hours
              > Somtimes things are broken in the alpha build, but generally it's in
              > pretty good shape.
              >
              > -Bryan
            • gsbingl
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 30, 2002
                Do you need to have Weapon Focus with the weapon in question, or does
                it apply to all weapons?

                Byngl

                --- In pcgen@y..., "elves_are_mortal" <elves_are_mortal@y...> wrote:
                > Hi.
                >
                > Is Gigantic Weapon now supported? It's from the Netbook of Feats,
                > and three of the members of our group have it. It's the natural
                > extention of Monkey Grip: the character can wield a weapon two
                sizes
                > larger than himself with two hands, at a negative 2 penalty.
                >

                > Thanks,
                > Mortal_Elf
              • elves_are_mortal
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 30, 2002
                  --- In pcgen@y..., "gsbingl" <byngl@h...> wrote:
                  > Do you need to have Weapon Focus with the weapon in question, or
                  does
                  > it apply to all weapons?
                  >
                  > Byngl

                  Nope, it's all weapons. Here's the prerequisites:

                  "Str 15+, base attack bonus +3 or higher"

                  Great little feat, ne?

                  Mortal_Elf
                • Tir Gwaith
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 30, 2002
                    Waay tooo powerful a feat for those Reqs.. Not in MY game.

                    Tir Gwaith
                    LST Chimp

                    > > Do you need to have Weapon Focus with the weapon in question, or
                    > does
                    > > it apply to all weapons?
                    > >
                    > > Byngl
                    >

                    > Nope, it's all weapons. Here's the prerequisites:
                    >
                    > "Str 15+, base attack bonus +3 or higher"
                    >
                    > Great little feat, ne?
                    >

                    > Mortal_Elf

                  • Bill Olander
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 30, 2002
                      Has this been Errata'd?

                      My Sword and Fist says: Base Attack +1, Str 13+, Weapon Focus with the
                      weapon.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 30, 2002
                        They were discussing a feat from a 3rd party source. You quoted the correct
                        prerequisites for Monkey Grip.

                        Dan

                        > My Sword and Fist says: Base Attack +1, Str 13+, Weapon Focus with the
                        > weapon.

                      • gsbingl
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 30, 2002
                          Tack on Weapon Focus (appropriate weapon)--like Monkey Grip--and I'd
                          allow it in mine.

                          Byngl

                          --- In pcgen@y..., "Tir Gwaith" <tir_gwaith@h...> wrote:
                          > Waay tooo powerful a feat for those Reqs.. Not in MY game.
                          >
                          > Tir Gwaith
                          > LST Chimp

                        • jojo_starfinder
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 1 12:10 AM
                            You've gotten confused there Bill. Their talking about another feat
                            from the netbook of feats. Gigantic Weapons or some such. And I
                            agree, tack on a weapon focus prereq and I might allow it in my
                            campaigns too. Even with the weapon focus tacked on this is more
                            like an Epic Level feat for chars over 20th level. Speaking of
                            which; I wish they would hurry up and publish the Epic Level
                            Handbook :) They got about 150+ new feats from what the main author
                            says in his little review at the WotC website.

                            --- In pcgen@y..., "Bill Olander" <groups@d...> wrote:
                            > Has this been Errata'd?
                            >
                            > My Sword and Fist says: Base Attack +1, Str 13+, Weapon Focus with
                            the
                            > weapon.

                          • Emily Smirle
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 1 5:41 AM
                              jojo_starfinder wrote:

                              > You've gotten confused there Bill. Their talking about another feat
                              > from the netbook of feats. Gigantic Weapons or some such. And I
                              > agree, tack on a weapon focus prereq and I might allow it in my
                              > campaigns too. Even with the weapon focus tacked on this is more
                              > like an Epic Level feat for chars over 20th level. Speaking of
                              > which; I wish they would hurry up and publish the Epic Level
                              > Handbook :) They got about 150+ new feats from what the main author
                              > says in his little review at the WotC website.

                              Heh. I've allowed it in my campeign, but the character had to have
                              Weapon Focus and he had to take it for each weapon he wielded. It worked
                              more or less like Monkey Grip except for the size range. The player
                              wanted the "Braver Sword" from Final Fantasy. o.O

                              He's a low level character, and he very rarely hits with it. The party's
                              put him in the front ranks, however, so he can pose with it and frighten
                              off Goblins and whatnot.
                              --
                              "Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total
                              oblivion. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 1 7:40 AM
                                > You've gotten confused there Bill. Their talking about another feat
                                > from the netbook of feats. Gigantic Weapons or some such. And I
                                > agree, tack on a weapon focus prereq and I might allow it in my
                                > campaigns too. Even with the weapon focus tacked on this is more
                                > like an Epic Level feat for chars over 20th level. Speaking of
                                > which; I wish they would hurry up and publish the Epic Level
                                > Handbook :) They got about 150+ new feats from what the main author
                                > says in his little review at the WotC website.

                                I don't think it is that powerful that it needs to be epic level.
                                All it does it let you weild a weapon that is one size bigger than
                                you normally could. In fact in one campaign I ran I let someone use
                                monkey grip to do this because I thought monkey grip just effectively
                                reduced the size of the weapon by one with a -2 penalty. So he was
                                going around with a huge greatsword. It wasn't very overpowered,
                                especially since he couldn't find any magical ones.