Racial spells can now be done in PCGen

  • merton_monk
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 28, 2002
      I've got most of it done...
      SPELL:name|times|book|name|times|book|etc...[PRExxx|PRExxx|etc] where
      the [PRExxx] is optional

      SPELL:Magic Missile|2|Innate|Cure Light Wounds|1|Innate
      [PREALIGN:0|PRELEVEL:2]

      would add Magic Missile twice to the Innate spellbook and Cure Lights
      Wounds once for a LG character who was at least 2nd level.

      I haven't yet added it to the character sheet tokens - I'm not sure
      if I should create new tokens just for race or if I should treat race
      as a class. I'll try to puzzle that one out tomorrow. Anyway, if
      some kind souls would like to test it out from the alpha build, I'd
      appreciate it! I had to move a lot of the spell code from PCClass to
      PObject, so I'd appreciate it if people could help me test
      spellcasters in general to make sure nothing broke (it should be
      fine, but it never hurts to test!). This means that it should be
      fairly easy to add spells to just about anything... though displaying
      them on the charactersheet would be the tricky bit.

      -Bryan
    • drakowulf
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 28, 2002
        > I've got most of it done...
        > SPELL:name|times|book|name|times|book|etc...[PRExxx|PRExxx|etc]
        where
        > the [PRExxx] is optional
        >
        > SPELL:Magic Missile|2|Innate|Cure Light Wounds|1|Innate
        > [PREALIGN:0|PRELEVEL:2]
        >
        > would add Magic Missile twice to the Innate spellbook and Cure
        Lights
        > Wounds once for a LG character who was at least 2nd level.
        >
        > I haven't yet added it to the character sheet tokens - I'm not
        sure
        > if I should create new tokens just for race or if I should treat
        race
        > as a class. I'll try to puzzle that one out tomorrow. Anyway,
        if
        > some kind souls would like to test it out from the alpha build,
        I'd
        > appreciate it! I had to move a lot of the spell code from PCClass
        > PObject, so I'd appreciate it if people could help me test
        > spellcasters in general to make sure nothing broke (it should be
        > fine, but it never hurts to test!). This means that it should be
        > fairly easy to add spells to just about anything... though
        displaying
        > them on the charactersheet would be the tricky bit.
        >
        > -Bryan

        Certain races, like Gnomes, have a minimum Intelligence score as a
        prerequisite for Innate spell abilities. Having an ability as a
        prereq falls outside the alignment and level prereqs you stated
        above.
      • Thomas Clegg
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 29, 2002
          > Certain races, like Gnomes, have a minimum Intelligence score as a
          > prerequisite for Innate spell abilities. Having an ability as a
          > prereq falls outside the alignment and level prereqs you stated
          > above.

          My understanding is that it'd jsut be:

          SPELL:Magic Missile|2|Innate|Faerie Fire|3|Innate|[PRESTAT:INT=13]

          or something like that for the Gnomes

          Tom
        • gsbingl
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 29, 2002
            It would be:

            SPELL:Dancing Lights|1|Innate|Ghost
            Sound|1|Innate|Prestidigitation|1|Innate[PRESTAT:INT=10]

            Byngl

            --- In pcgen@y..., Thomas Clegg <arknight@s...> wrote:
            > > Certain races, like Gnomes, have a minimum Intelligence score as
            > > prerequisite for Innate spell abilities. Having an ability as a
            > > prereq falls outside the alignment and level prereqs you stated
            > > above.
            >
            > My understanding is that it'd just be:
            >
            > SPELL:Magic Missile|2|Innate|Faerie Fire|3|Innate|[PRESTAT:INT=13]
            >
            > or something like that for the Gnomes
            >
            > Tom
          • merton_monk
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 29, 2002
              I don't have my book handy, but I think Greg is right. I think I
              know how to get it to display on charactersheets, so I'll try to get
              that done tonight. This should be a nice improvement for all those
              races which can cast spells. :)

              -Bryan

              --- In pcgen@y..., "gsbingl" <byngl@h...> wrote:
              > It would be:
              >
              > SPELL:Dancing Lights|1|Innate|Ghost
              > Sound|1|Innate|Prestidigitation|1|Innate[PRESTAT:INT=10]
              >
              > Byngl
              >
              > --- In pcgen@y..., Thomas Clegg <arknight@s...> wrote:
              > > > Certain races, like Gnomes, have a minimum Intelligence score
              as
              > > > prerequisite for Innate spell abilities. Having an ability as
              > > > prereq falls outside the alignment and level prereqs you stated
              > > > above.
              > >
              > > My understanding is that it'd just be:
              > >
              > > SPELL:Magic Missile|2|Innate|Faerie Fire|3|Innate|[PRESTAT:INT=13]
              > >
              > > or something like that for the Gnomes
              > >
              > > Tom
            • gsbingl
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 29, 2002
                If you get the time, you might want to look at adding/removing the
                Innate spells if the prerequisites change

                Byngl

                > I don't have my book handy, but I think Greg is right. I think I
                > know how to get it to display on charactersheets, so I'll try to
                get
                > that done tonight. This should be a nice improvement for all those
                > races which can cast spells. :)
                >
                > -Bryan
                >
                > --- In pcgen@y..., "gsbingl" <byngl@h...> wrote:
                > > It would be:
                > >
                > > SPELL:Dancing Lights|1|Innate|Ghost
                > > Sound|1|Innate|Prestidigitation|1|Innate[PRESTAT:INT=10]
                > >
                > > Byngl

                > as
                > > >
                > > > My understanding is that it'd just be:
                > > >
                > > > SPELL:Magic Missile|2|Innate|Faerie Fire|3|Innate|
                [PRESTAT:INT=13]

                > > > or something like that for the Gnomes
                > > >
                > > > Tom
              • merton_monk
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 29, 2002
                  The pre-reqs are re-evaluated every time you change levels. Hm -
                  I'll have to look into if you no longer qualify for something you
                  previously qualified for - but qualifying for something new
                  definitely should work.

                  -Bryan

                  --- In pcgen@y..., "gsbingl" <byngl@h...> wrote:
                  > If you get the time, you might want to look at adding/removing the
                  > Innate spells if the prerequisites change
                  >
                  > Byngl
                  >
                  > --- In pcgen@y..., "merton_monk" <merton_monk@y...> wrote:
                  > > I don't have my book handy, but I think Greg is right. I think I
                  > > know how to get it to display on charactersheets, so I'll try to
                  > get
                  > > that done tonight. This should be a nice improvement for all
                  those
                  > > races which can cast spells. :)
                  > >
                  > > -Bryan
                  > >
                  > > --- In pcgen@y..., "gsbingl" <byngl@h...> wrote:
                  > > > It would be:
                  > > >
                  > > > SPELL:Dancing Lights|1|Innate|Ghost
                  > > > Sound|1|Innate|Prestidigitation|1|Innate[PRESTAT:INT=10]
                  > > >
                  > > > Byngl

                  > > as
                  > as
                  > stated

                  > [PRESTAT:INT=13]

                • jojo_starfinder
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 1, 2002
                    Will there be a desciption tag/token with this? So if a race for
                    example casts an innate spell as if a 6th level sorcerer, that can
                    be shown on the char sheet and/or in pcgen?

                    > The pre-reqs are re-evaluated every time you change levels. Hm -
                    > I'll have to look into if you no longer qualify for something you
                    > previously qualified for - but qualifying for something new
                    > definitely should work.
                    >
                    > -Bryan
                    >
                    > --- In pcgen@y..., "gsbingl" <byngl@h...> wrote:
                    > > If you get the time, you might want to look at adding/removing
                    the
                    > > Innate spells if the prerequisites change
                    > >
                    > > Byngl
                    > >
                    > > --- In pcgen@y..., "merton_monk" <merton_monk@y...> wrote:
                    > > > I don't have my book handy, but I think Greg is right. I
                    think I
                    > > > know how to get it to display on charactersheets, so I'll try
                    > > get
                    > > > that done tonight. This should be a nice improvement for all
                    > those
                    > > > races which can cast spells. :)
                    > > >
                    > > > -Bryan

                    > score
                    > > > as
                    > > as
                    > > stated

                    > > [PRESTAT:INT=13]

                  • merton_monk
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 1, 2002
                      The charactersheets shouldn't need any changing. The Race is added
                      to the list of spellcasting classes and the spells all show up as
                      level 0 spells for the race. There's no way to associate a caster-
                      level yet - this could be done more easily in an SA: tag. Since
                      most charactersheets display all the spells in the "Known Spells"
                      list, in my own testing I had the racial spells all go to the Known
                      Spells list... e.g. I modified Halflings to have
                      SPELL:Magic Missile|2|Known Spells
                      so it would show up in the "Halfling" level 0 list of spells as Magic
                      Missile(x2) on my charactersheet.

                      -Bryan

                    • SR_Shayd
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 1, 2002
                        One more time as I screw up basic Yahoo Groups instructions.

                        I am trying to figure out a way to display the proper "per day, Save
                        DC" for innate spells. I suggested to Merton (in an unfortunate
                        private email, sorry) that this be done via modifying the Races so
                        that one can define a spell stat (CHA, etc) and adding some token
                        variable for per-day usage, but that's an imperfect solution. I also
                        tried to muck about with DEFINE in the race file and that didn't work.

                        Suggestions?
                      • jojo_starfinder
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 1, 2002
                          Thats kinda where I was going with my question. I called it a
                          description tag/token but SA or anything like that would work, which
                          is what I was after. Will the innate spell entry for races have its
                          own SA tag. I guess you could also just put that info in the races
                          normal SA tag section though. How many times per day, what type of
                          spellcaster and level the innate spell mimics and such.

                          --- In pcgen@y..., "SR_Shayd" <shayd@c...> wrote:
                          > One more time as I screw up basic Yahoo Groups instructions.
                          >
                          > I am trying to figure out a way to display the proper "per day,
                          Save
                          > DC" for innate spells. I suggested to Merton (in an unfortunate
                          > private email, sorry) that this be done via modifying the Races so
                          > that one can define a spell stat (CHA, etc) and adding some token
                          > variable for per-day usage, but that's an imperfect solution. I
                          also
                          > tried to muck about with DEFINE in the race file and that didn't
                          work.

                          > Suggestions?
                        • Tir Gwaith
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 1, 2002
                            How about when I upgrade the MM I add an SA like
                            "Innate spells as X level Y,Innate Spell DC %+spelllevel|Formula"

                            Where formula is usually 10+X+SpellStat, and I leave off the "+ spelllevel"
                            portion for those that have a set DC for their different spellevel
                            spells....

                            Would that make people happy for now? I don't think this should become our
                            focus right now, and that little bit will make it passable for now: it will
                            be on the csheet.

                            Anyone object to 99 times for 'At Will' racial spells?

                            This is for Innate spells/spell-like abilities.. For those that actually
                            cast spells as a certain level, I have different plans, with their own
                            Monster class, ADD:SPELLCASTER, and BONUS:PCLEVEL, like the dragons. I
                            learned a lot from them. :)

                            Tir Gwaith
                            LST Chimp
                            MM Race Dragon

                            > Thats kinda where I was going with my question. I called it a
                            > description tag/token but SA or anything like that would work, which
                            > is what I was after. Will the innate spell entry for races have its
                            > own SA tag. I guess you could also just put that info in the races
                            > normal SA tag section though. How many times per day, what type of
                            > spellcaster and level the innate spell mimics and such.
                            >
                            > --- In pcgen@y..., "SR_Shayd" <shayd@c...> wrote:
                            > > One more time as I screw up basic Yahoo Groups instructions.
                            > >
                            > > I am trying to figure out a way to display the proper "per day,
                            > Save
                            > > DC" for innate spells. I suggested to Merton (in an unfortunate
                            > > private email, sorry) that this be done via modifying the Races so
                            > > that one can define a spell stat (CHA, etc) and adding some token
                            > > variable for per-day usage, but that's an imperfect solution. I
                            > also
                            > > tried to muck about with DEFINE in the race file and that didn't
                            > work.
                            > >
                            > > Suggestions?
                          • merton_monk
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 1, 2002
                              The "times" section of the tag can already indicate times per day.
                              SPELL:name|times|book[restrictions]
                              Caster level and what to base DC on are the things which cannot be
                              addressed in this... as you suggest, assuming CHA might not be a bad
                              idea but we're trying not to hardcode things. Most of this can be
                              indicated in an SA: tag for now. I'll have lots of brainstorming
                              time this next week so I'll put this on my agenda. :)

                              -Bryan

                              --- In pcgen@y..., "jojo_starfinder" <jojo_starfinder@h...> wrote:
                              > Thats kinda where I was going with my question. I called it a
                              > description tag/token but SA or anything like that would work,
                              which
                              > is what I was after. Will the innate spell entry for races have its
                              > own SA tag. I guess you could also just put that info in the races
                              > normal SA tag section though. How many times per day, what type of
                              > spellcaster and level the innate spell mimics and such.
                              >
                              > --- In pcgen@y..., "SR_Shayd" <shayd@c...> wrote:
                              > > One more time as I screw up basic Yahoo Groups instructions.
                              > >
                              > > I am trying to figure out a way to display the proper "per day,
                              > Save
                              > > DC" for innate spells. I suggested to Merton (in an unfortunate
                              > > private email, sorry) that this be done via modifying the Races so
                              > > that one can define a spell stat (CHA, etc) and adding some token
                              > > variable for per-day usage, but that's an imperfect solution. I
                              > also
                              > > tried to muck about with DEFINE in the race file and that didn't
                              > work.
                              > >
                              > > Suggestions?
                            • merton_monk
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 1, 2002
                                How about calling the spellbook "At Will"... that should make it
                                clear that the "times" field could be ignored.... in any event, 99
                                seems a bit forced. Hm... maybe we could make "-1" times be
                                displayed as "At Will" or "Unlimited"? I guess 99 would work for
                                now - we can always use a script to change them all to -1 if we
                                decide to go that route.

                                -Bryan

                              • Tir Gwaith
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 1, 2002
                                  I'll play with it this weekend. Yeah, the 99 times is forced:.that was the
                                  point. Like the price on unpriced mounts in monmanmounts, just trying to
                                  make it glaringly obvious.

                                  -1 times would be great to be "At Will"
                                  Tir Gwaith
                                  LST Chimp
                                  MM Race Dragon

                                  > How about calling the spellbook "At Will"... that should make it
                                  > clear that the "times" field could be ignored.... in any event, 99
                                  > seems a bit forced. Hm... maybe we could make "-1" times be
                                  > displayed as "At Will" or "Unlimited"? I guess 99 would work for
                                  > now - we can always use a script to change them all to -1 if we
                                  > decide to go that route.
                                  >
                                  > -Bryan
                                  >
                                  > --- In pcgen@y..., "Tir Gwaith" <tir_gwaith@h...> wrote:
                                  > > How about when I upgrade the MM I add an SA like
                                  > > "Innate spells as X level Y,Innate Spell DC %+spelllevel|Formula"
                                  > >
                                  > > Where formula is usually 10+X+SpellStat, and I leave off the "+
                                  > spelllevel"
                                  > > portion for those that have a set DC for their different spellevel
                                  > > spells....
                                  > >
                                  > > Would that make people happy for now? I don't think this should
                                  > become our
                                  > > focus right now, and that little bit will make it passable for now:
                                  > it will
                                  > > be on the csheet.
                                  > >
                                  > > Anyone object to 99 times for 'At Will' racial spells?
                                  > >
                                  > > This is for Innate spells/spell-like abilities.. For those that
                                  > actually
                                  > > cast spells as a certain level, I have different plans, with their
                                  > own
                                  > > Monster class, ADD:SPELLCASTER, and BONUS:PCLEVEL, like the
                                  > dragons. I
                                  > > learned a lot from them. :)
                                  > >
                                  > > Tir Gwaith
                                  > > LST Chimp
                                  > > MM Race Dragon

                                • Spekkio
                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 2, 2002
                                    Tir Gwaith wrote:

                                    > How about when I upgrade the MM I add an SA like
                                    > "Innate spells as X level Y,Innate Spell DC %+spelllevel|Formula"
                                    > Anyone object to 99 times for 'At Will' racial spells?

                                    Assuming we are talking about uses per day, then 0 = At Will would be
                                    preferred here. Of course, both "solutions'" will surely cause a
                                    problem some day.

                                    > Tir Gwaith
                                    > LST Chimp
                                    > MM Race Dragon
                                  • emperorfranz
                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 3, 2002
                                      Don't forget that Gnomes also get the innate spell-like ability
                                      to "Speak with Animals" for small burrowing animals as a 1st level
                                      sorcerer and no minimum stat is required for this one.
                                      Later,
                                      Hugo

                                      --- In pcgen@y..., "gsbingl" <byngl@h...> wrote:
                                      > It would be:
                                      >
                                      > SPELL:Dancing Lights|1|Innate|Ghost
                                      > Sound|1|Innate|Prestidigitation|1|Innate[PRESTAT:INT=10]
                                      >
                                      > Byngl
                                      >
                                      > --- In pcgen@y..., Thomas Clegg <arknight@s...> wrote:
                                      > > > Certain races, like Gnomes, have a minimum Intelligence score
                                      as
                                      > > > prerequisite for Innate spell abilities. Having an ability as
                                      > > > prereq falls outside the alignment and level prereqs you stated
                                      > > > above.
                                      > >
                                      > > My understanding is that it'd just be:
                                      > >
                                      > > SPELL:Magic Missile|2|Innate|Faerie Fire|3|Innate|[PRESTAT:INT=13]
                                      > >
                                      > > or something like that for the Gnomes
                                      > >
                                      > > Tom
                                    • Tir Gwaith
                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 3, 2002
                                        How would people like that done, as a "Speak with Animals" spell, or create
                                        a "Speak with Small Burrowing Animals" ? Although I won't be doing the PHb
                                        stuff unless Mynex asks me to, it will effect how I go about doing the
                                        specialized monster spells from the MM.

                                        Tir Gwaith
                                        LST Chimp
                                        MM Race Dragon

                                        > Don't forget that Gnomes also get the innate spell-like ability
                                        > to "Speak with Animals" for small burrowing animals as a 1st level
                                        > sorcerer and no minimum stat is required for this one.
                                        > Later,
                                        > Hugo
                                        >
                                        > --- In pcgen@y..., "gsbingl" <byngl@h...> wrote:
                                        > > It would be:
                                        > >
                                        > > SPELL:Dancing Lights|1|Innate|Ghost
                                        > > Sound|1|Innate|Prestidigitation|1|Innate[PRESTAT:INT=10]
                                        > >
                                        > > Byngl

                                        > as
                                        > > >
                                        > > > My understanding is that it'd just be:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > SPELL:Magic Missile|2|Innate|Faerie Fire|3|Innate|[PRESTAT:INT=13]
                                        > > >
                                        > > > or something like that for the Gnomes
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Tom

                                      • Tir Gwaith
                                        Message 19 of 19 , May 3, 2002
                                          Ok, I'll try both 0 and -1 this weekend, and see if either of them break
                                          things.

                                          Tir Gwaith
                                          LST Chimp
                                          MM Race Dragon