Re: [pcgen] Re: Bugs and Feature requests

  • Bryan McRoberts
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 29, 2000
      When I first started writing PCGen I wondered about supporting multiple
      stat generation methods. I thought about letting users define their own
      methods (purchase methods, random methods, combination of the two).
      I decided that since my campaigns always use the 4d6 drop the lowest
      and since it's presented as the main way to generate stats, that I would
      only have that method. I added the unlimited pool checkbox so I could
      make a character's stats to be whatever I wanted - and I thought that
      would work for people who wanted to use the purchase method. Figure
      out your character's stats on paper, then use the unlimited pool checkbox
      to get it into PCGen. If there's a big outcry for this to be added to PCGen
      I can certainly add it, but it seems like a good bit of effort to do
      something
      that you can already do - albeit indirectly.

      I don't have Living Greyhawk, so if someone wants to add it, I'll be more
      than glad to add it to my deity.lst file!
      I just realized something - with my previous email about a campaign
      option - you could have multiple races by the same name with different
      campaign tags. Say Humans in GreyHawk don't get the extra skill
      point per level (just hypothetically), you could have a Human entry
      in the race.lst file with the FR tag where they get the bonus skill point,
      and another one with the GH tag where they don't. PCGen doesn't
      care about uniqueness (at least I don't think it should, for some things
      it certainly does, but not races). Just thought I'd mention that.

      -Bryan

      Arcady wrote:

      > Two more I would request:
      >
      > Add an option for different stat rolling methods. Particularly the
      > DMG's point-buy method.
      >
      > Add all of the Greyhawk dieties from Living Greyhawk.

    • Richard Pace
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 30, 2000
        Hi,

        Howzabout a way to get spiked chain into the Weapon Finesse Feat list
        . . .
      • Bryan McRoberts
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 30, 2000
          You're right - the spiked chain appears as an exotic weapon proficiency,
          and for medium sized characters it should be a choice for Weapon Finesse
          (rapier and spiked chain break the light weapon rules for Weapon
          Finesse). I'll add that to my bug list. Thanks for finding that!

          -Bryan

          Richard Pace wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Howzabout a way to get spiked chain into the Weapon Finesse Feat list
          > .. . .

        • Arcady
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 30, 2000
            > > Question for FR fans - since I've got the FR domains mixed in with the
            > > ones in the PHB, and assuming
            > > I get the FR deities added to my deity.lst file, should I add
            something
            > > so you can pick a pantheon,

            I'm with Pick your pantheon. And make it so there can be more than
            just the two pantheons you provide. So I as a DM could add my own
            third pantheon and then send the file off to my players to use.

            Also lets get the full Greyhawk Pantheon from Living Greyhawk in
            there. I could do it myself once I know how to add it in.

            I only downloaded this app last night. :)

            I'm considering sending it off to all my players.
          • Arcady
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 30, 2000
              --- In pcgen@egroups.com, Bryan McRoberts <mocha@m...> wrote:
              > When I first started writing PCGen I wondered about supporting multiple
              > stat generation methods. I thought about letting users define their own
              > methods (purchase methods, random methods, combination of the two).

              > to get it into PCGen. If there's a big outcry for this to be added
              to PCGen
              > I can certainly add it, but it seems like a good bit of effort to do
              > something
              > that you can already do - albeit indirectly.

              Point Buy would be nice. The two most common methods of doing stats
              are the 4d6 or the point buy. And it makes sense to have point buy
              rather than just an open modify so you have that as a judgement scale.

              A lot of people who use random will also still want to use physical
              dice and then enter in the numbers rather than rely on a computer for
              the generation.

              > I don't have Living Greyhawk, so if someone wants to add it, I'll be
              more
              > than glad to add it to my deity.lst file!

              Is this hard to do? I might tackle it if not.
              Living Greyhawk has a vastly larger list of dieties than the PHB has.
            • Arcady
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 30, 2000
                With a diety.lst that is not modified by me and one that is.

                I open the program. Leave my alignment alone as LG. Add cleric. Go to
                domain and select any non LG diety and get this:

                java.lang.NullPointerException
                at PCGen.deityComboBox_selectedIndexChanged
                at com/ms/wfc/core/EventHandler.invoke
                at com/ms/wfc/core/Component.fireEvent
                at com/ms/wfc/ui/ComboBox.onSelectedIndexChanged
                at com/ms/wfc/ui/ComboBox.wmReflectCommand
                at com/ms/wfc/ui/ComboBox.wndProc
                at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control$ControlWindow.wndProc
                at com/ms/wfc/app/Window.callback
                at com/ms/wfc/win32/Windows.SendMessage
                at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control.sendMessage
                at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control.reflectMessage
                at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control.wmCommand
                at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control.wndProc
                at com/ms/wfc/ui/Form.wndProc
                at com/ms/wfc/app/Application$ParkingForm.wndProc
                at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control$ControlWindow.wndProc
                at com/ms/wfc/app/Window.callback
                at com/ms/wfc/win32/Windows.CallWindowProc
                at com/ms/wfc/app/Window.defWndProc
                at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control$ControlWindow.defWndProc
                at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control.defWndProc
                at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control.wmCommand
                at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control.wndProc
                at com/ms/wfc/ui/ComboBox.wndProc
                at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control$ControlWindow.wndProc
                at com/ms/wfc/app/Window.callback
                at com/ms/wfc/win32/Windows.DispatchMessage
                at com/ms/wfc/app/Application$ThreadContext.runMessageLoop
                at com/ms/wfc/app/Application.run
                at PCGen.main

                In this specific case I had selected Pelor.

                If I change my alignment to a valid one before choosing a domain I get
                no problem.

                If after I've done it validly once I go back and change my alignment
                or not but then select a diety of an invalid alignment there are no
                errors in the program it just tells me that diety is not available to
                my alignment.
              • Bryan McRoberts
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 31, 2000
                  You're right! If you first select a deity that you can select (one that
                  allows your
                  alignment), then you have no trouble, and then from there on you can select
                  any deity without crashing. If you pick a deity right off that does not
                  accept
                  your alignment, then you will crash. I'll add this to my bug list later
                  today so
                  it will be fixed with my next release. Thanks for finding that!

                  -Bryan