FAQ addition

  • gsbingl
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 21, 2002
      Q1: Clicking on the "Preview in browser" button causes an MS-DOS
      prompt window to pop up, and then a system error message box saying
      "The program encoutered an invalid page exception."

      Q2: Clicking on the "Preview in browser" button causes an MS-DOS
      prompt window to pop up and quickly close, but nothing else happens.

      A: Set the Browser Path. File-->Preferences-->Browser Path..

      Byngl
    • gsbingl
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 21, 2002
        I've made a code addition that will pop up the default browser
        selection tool for Windows users who attempt to preview without one
        selected.

        Byngl

        --- In pcgen@y..., "gsbingl" <byngl@h...> wrote:
        > Q1: Clicking on the "Preview in browser" button causes an MS-DOS
        > prompt window to pop up, and then a system error message box saying
        > "The program encoutered an invalid page exception."
        >
        > Q2: Clicking on the "Preview in browser" button causes an MS-DOS
        > prompt window to pop up and quickly close, but nothing else happens.
        >
        > A: Set the Browser Path. File-->Preferences-->Browser Path..
        >
        > Byngl
      • STILES, BRAD
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1 11:06 AM
          Would the maintainer of the FAQ please consider the inclusion of something
          along the lines of the following?

          Before reporting a bug, verify that you are using the current version of the
          program. If you aren't, download and install the most current version, and
          see if you can duplicate the problem. If you can, proceed to report the
          bug, otherwise your problem is solved.

          PCGen sometimes has a problem importing characters from previous versions,
          especially if that "previous version" is several releases old. If the
          problem you are experiencing is with a PCG file that was created in a
          previous version of PCGen, try recreating that character from scratch using
          the current version of the program. If the problem still occurs, report the
          bug.

          Thanks,
          Brad
        • Stuart Updegrave
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1 11:39 AM
            This latter stipulation is rather onerous. Why so many
            backward-compatibility problems?

          • merton_monk
            Message 5 of 7 , May 1 11:48 AM
              There aren't many, but they do happen. There are many bug fixes from
              one version to the next, so it's quite possible that the issue was
              resolved in one version, but in such a way that only newly created
              characters won't have the problem - it may have even been that an
              older version had a bug that let it save itself in a state where the
              problem was non-correctable. None of these situations happen often -
              but it's worth it to mention it. The more analysis we can get a user
              to do before they report a bug, the less we have to do which means
              the bug turn-around period is that much faster.

              -Bryan

              --- In pcgen@y..., "Stuart Updegrave" <stuart@m...> wrote:

              > This latter stipulation is rather onerous. Why so many
              > backward-compatibility problems?

            • Tom Albrecht
              Message 6 of 7 , May 1 11:59 AM
                If there was a bug in character creation in an order version, it might
                create a bad PCG file, which wouldn't be correctly read in newer version.
                It's not necessarily a matter of data incompatiblity between versions.

                Tom Albrecht III

                On Wed, 1 May 2002, Stuart Updegrave wrote:

                > This latter stipulation is rather onerous. Why so many
                > backward-compatibility problems?

                /// <autogenerated>
                /// This email was generated by a tool.
                /// </autogenerated>
              • STILES, BRAD
                Message 7 of 7 , May 1 12:10 PM

                  The problems between close versions are rare, though they do occur. It's
                  the ones where folks are trying to read in characters from very old
                  versions, more than 5 revisions, where the problems are most likely to
                  occur.

                  Brad