Re: [pcgen] Bugs and Feature requests

  • Bryan McRoberts
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 29, 2000
      Martin Brabander wrote:

      > Bryan McRoberts wrote:
      >
      >> Neither of these lists is in any particular order (i.e. #1 is not more
      >> important than #5)
      >>
      >> First the Bugs:
      >>

      > Lots of great new features snipped. Bryan, have all these done for version 1.2,
      > and before the end of the millennium :)

      Ha! PCGen has had its last release of this milennium. I'll put one out
      early in the next
      millenium, and I'll call it PCGen in the 21st Century! Or PCGen 1.2 for
      short... ;)

      >> 15. A GUI to help edit the lst files
      >>

      > Yes. Key feature for me!

      Seems like a frequent request, so I'll get there, but since it's one of
      those lots-of-effort-
      for-little-reward (from my perspective) this will probably sit on my
      to-do list
      until I've conquered most of the other mass-appeal type features and any
      bugs.
      I will get to it...

      >> Heh - hopefully PCGen will then be a very useful tool for a lot of
      >> people. I plan on using it for all of
      >> our d&d sessions! Let me know if I missed anything you mentioned or if
      >> you want to add anything to
      >> the list.
      >>
      >> Question for FR fans - since I've got the FR domains mixed in with the
      >> ones in the PHB, and assuming
      >> I get the FR deities added to my deity.lst file, should I add something
      >> so you can pick a pantheon,
      >> and see either the Greyhaw deities/domains OR the FR deities/domains? Or
      >> would be noting in the
      >> description of the deities which pantheon they come from be enough? (FR
      >> or GH), Should I support
      >> more than these 2 pantheons and let users choose one or more pantheons
      >> to be displayed (both in
      >> terms of deity and domain lists). Let me know what you all think!
      >>

      > Hmmm. My first impression was 'select a pantheon option'. However, my thoughts
      > went back to a discussion that was held on the Mastertools list. Would it be
      > possible to have a World selection option at the first screen, which then
      > defines issues such as which races are available for a particular character,
      > which deities, which domains, possibly weapons ie firearms, spells, etc. If
      > this then gives me an option to include my own world, I can then edit characters
      > for each world that they might be played in. Or am I asking too much for a
      > freeware program.

      This makes me think that a Campaign type tag might be useful - one that
      could be
      associated with all of the lst files, and some objects (race, class,
      equipment,
      deity, domain, whatever) might be compatible with multiple campaigns. Maybe
      when you have the Main tab selected you can select which campaign you wish
      PCGen to be operating in. This way all the deities could be in one lst
      file, and you'd
      only see the ones compatible with the selected campaign. This would
      probably be
      a better place to put the Star Wars Mode checkbox as well since it
      doesn't truly fit
      in the Stats tab. Does this sound like a good idea?

      > Someone in another message mentioned Greg Morrow's Monster Editor in Java.
      > People might also like to look at http://www.openrpg.com/ for some interesting
      > developments in gaming programs.

      Thanks - I'll have to check that out.

      -Bryan
    • Bryan McRoberts
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 29, 2000
        When I first started writing PCGen I wondered about supporting multiple
        stat generation methods. I thought about letting users define their own
        methods (purchase methods, random methods, combination of the two).
        I decided that since my campaigns always use the 4d6 drop the lowest
        and since it's presented as the main way to generate stats, that I would
        only have that method. I added the unlimited pool checkbox so I could
        make a character's stats to be whatever I wanted - and I thought that
        would work for people who wanted to use the purchase method. Figure
        out your character's stats on paper, then use the unlimited pool checkbox
        to get it into PCGen. If there's a big outcry for this to be added to PCGen
        I can certainly add it, but it seems like a good bit of effort to do
        something
        that you can already do - albeit indirectly.

        I don't have Living Greyhawk, so if someone wants to add it, I'll be more
        than glad to add it to my deity.lst file!
        I just realized something - with my previous email about a campaign
        option - you could have multiple races by the same name with different
        campaign tags. Say Humans in GreyHawk don't get the extra skill
        point per level (just hypothetically), you could have a Human entry
        in the race.lst file with the FR tag where they get the bonus skill point,
        and another one with the GH tag where they don't. PCGen doesn't
        care about uniqueness (at least I don't think it should, for some things
        it certainly does, but not races). Just thought I'd mention that.

        -Bryan

        Arcady wrote:

        > Two more I would request:
        >
        > Add an option for different stat rolling methods. Particularly the
        > DMG's point-buy method.
        >
        > Add all of the Greyhawk dieties from Living Greyhawk.

      • Richard Pace
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 30, 2000

          Howzabout a way to get spiked chain into the Weapon Finesse Feat list
          . . .
        • Bryan McRoberts
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 30, 2000
            You're right - the spiked chain appears as an exotic weapon proficiency,
            and for medium sized characters it should be a choice for Weapon Finesse
            (rapier and spiked chain break the light weapon rules for Weapon
            Finesse). I'll add that to my bug list. Thanks for finding that!

            -Bryan

            Richard Pace wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Howzabout a way to get spiked chain into the Weapon Finesse Feat list
            > .. . .

          • Arcady
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 30, 2000
              > > Question for FR fans - since I've got the FR domains mixed in with the
              > > ones in the PHB, and assuming
              > > I get the FR deities added to my deity.lst file, should I add
              something
              > > so you can pick a pantheon,

              I'm with Pick your pantheon. And make it so there can be more than
              just the two pantheons you provide. So I as a DM could add my own
              third pantheon and then send the file off to my players to use.

              Also lets get the full Greyhawk Pantheon from Living Greyhawk in
              there. I could do it myself once I know how to add it in.

              I only downloaded this app last night. :)

              I'm considering sending it off to all my players.
            • Arcady
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 30, 2000
                --- In pcgen@egroups.com, Bryan McRoberts <mocha@m...> wrote:
                > When I first started writing PCGen I wondered about supporting multiple
                > stat generation methods. I thought about letting users define their own
                > methods (purchase methods, random methods, combination of the two).

                > to get it into PCGen. If there's a big outcry for this to be added
                to PCGen
                > I can certainly add it, but it seems like a good bit of effort to do
                > something
                > that you can already do - albeit indirectly.

                Point Buy would be nice. The two most common methods of doing stats
                are the 4d6 or the point buy. And it makes sense to have point buy
                rather than just an open modify so you have that as a judgement scale.

                A lot of people who use random will also still want to use physical
                dice and then enter in the numbers rather than rely on a computer for
                the generation.

                > I don't have Living Greyhawk, so if someone wants to add it, I'll be
                more
                > than glad to add it to my deity.lst file!

                Is this hard to do? I might tackle it if not.
                Living Greyhawk has a vastly larger list of dieties than the PHB has.
              • Arcady
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 30, 2000
                  With a diety.lst that is not modified by me and one that is.

                  I open the program. Leave my alignment alone as LG. Add cleric. Go to
                  domain and select any non LG diety and get this:

                  java.lang.NullPointerException
                  at PCGen.deityComboBox_selectedIndexChanged
                  at com/ms/wfc/core/EventHandler.invoke
                  at com/ms/wfc/core/Component.fireEvent
                  at com/ms/wfc/ui/ComboBox.onSelectedIndexChanged
                  at com/ms/wfc/ui/ComboBox.wmReflectCommand
                  at com/ms/wfc/ui/ComboBox.wndProc
                  at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control$ControlWindow.wndProc
                  at com/ms/wfc/app/Window.callback
                  at com/ms/wfc/win32/Windows.SendMessage
                  at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control.sendMessage
                  at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control.reflectMessage
                  at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control.wmCommand
                  at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control.wndProc
                  at com/ms/wfc/ui/Form.wndProc
                  at com/ms/wfc/app/Application$ParkingForm.wndProc
                  at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control$ControlWindow.wndProc
                  at com/ms/wfc/app/Window.callback
                  at com/ms/wfc/win32/Windows.CallWindowProc
                  at com/ms/wfc/app/Window.defWndProc
                  at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control$ControlWindow.defWndProc
                  at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control.defWndProc
                  at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control.wmCommand
                  at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control.wndProc
                  at com/ms/wfc/ui/ComboBox.wndProc
                  at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control$ControlWindow.wndProc
                  at com/ms/wfc/app/Window.callback
                  at com/ms/wfc/win32/Windows.DispatchMessage
                  at com/ms/wfc/app/Application$ThreadContext.runMessageLoop
                  at com/ms/wfc/app/Application.run
                  at PCGen.main

                  In this specific case I had selected Pelor.

                  If I change my alignment to a valid one before choosing a domain I get
                  no problem.

                  If after I've done it validly once I go back and change my alignment
                  or not but then select a diety of an invalid alignment there are no
                  errors in the program it just tells me that diety is not available to
                  my alignment.
                • Bryan McRoberts
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 31, 2000
                    You're right! If you first select a deity that you can select (one that
                    allows your
                    alignment), then you have no trouble, and then from there on you can select
                    any deity without crashing. If you pick a deity right off that does not
                    accept
                    your alignment, then you will crash. I'll add this to my bug list later
                    today so
                    it will be fixed with my next release. Thanks for finding that!

                    -Bryan