Conversion

  • Darwin Bell
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 25 10:19 PM
      This is my first time posting long time, but I've been reading for a few weeks.   Love the program.

      This is about conversion process so probably can only be answered by Bryan.

      1.  The converstion process from J++ to Java?  When this is done will you still distrubt a an exe file?  Most of the java applications I have seen are distrubted without instructions as a .JAR or several .CLASS files and thus are absolutly useless.

      2.  I saw mention of the lst.  Being converted to XML.  Is this something being worked on? Being considered?  Or just an idea that was mentioned?

      Darwin Bell
      "Wasn't lurking - I was standing about.
      It's a whole different vibe."

    • mocha@mcs.net
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 26 4:43 AM
        --- In pcgen@y..., "Darwin Bell" <darwin@c...> wrote:
        > This is my first time posting long time, but I've been reading for
        a few weeks. Love the program.
        Great - thanks!

        > This is about conversion process so probably can only be answered
        by Bryan.

        > 1. The converstion process from J++ to Java? When this is done
        will you still distrubt a an exe file? Most of the java applications
        I have seen are distrubted without instructions as a .JAR or several
        .CLASS files and thus are absolutly useless.

        I plan on distributing as a jar file, which is effectively an exe
        since most OSes should recognize it as a java file. Hopefully there
        won't be much to explain - just double click on the jar file like you
        do on the exe file and you're good to go. I will address any problems
        that popup in the readme.html - that's where I'll put in any required
        instructions.

        > 2. I saw mention of the lst. Being converted to XML. Is this
        something being worked on? Being considered? Or just an idea that
        was mentioned?

        I've been thinking of converting the pcg files to xml - converting
        the lst files to xml would be an extremely large undertaking at this
        point and wouldn't serve any real purpose, since they are files meant
        only for PCGen's consumption. The pcg files could conceivably be used
        by other apps since the pcg file contains all the info about a
        character, so xml is an obvious choice for that.

        I hope this answers you questions! :)

        -Bryan

        > Darwin Bell
        > "Wasn't lurking - I was standing about.
        > It's a whole different vibe."
      • Darwin
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 26 6:13 AM
          --- In pcgen@y..., mocha@m... wrote:

          > I plan on distributing as a jar file, which is effectively an exe
          > since most OSes should recognize it as a java file. Hopefully
          there
          > won't be much to explain - just double click on the jar file like
          you
          > do on the exe file and you're good to go. I will address any
          problems
          > that popup in the readme.html - that's where I'll put in any
          required
          > instructions.

          I havn't had the opertunity to try on my current windows 2000
          system. But I know that standard distrubtion of Windows98 does not
          regard a .JAR as an .EXE. In fact everything I tryed to do, there is
          no way to use a .JAR for anything on a Window98 platform. And no
          help anywhere online.

          I will trust in your judgement, just would hate to get left behind.

          > I've been thinking of converting the pcg files to xml - converting
          > the lst files to xml would be an extremely large undertaking at
          this
          > point and wouldn't serve any real purpose, since they are files
          meant
          > only for PCGen's consumption. The pcg files could conceivably be
          used
          > by other apps since the pcg file contains all the info about a
          > character, so xml is an obvious choice for that.
          >
          > I hope this answers you questions! :)
          >
          > -Bryan

          K, just wondering on that one, becuase tab-deliniated files are a
          pain in the --- to work with do to the fact they are hard to read.
        • STILES, BRAD
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 26 6:27 AM
            RE: [pcgen] Re: Conversion

            > I havn't had the opertunity to try on my current windows 2000
            > system.  But I know that standard distrubtion of Windows98 does not
            > regard a .JAR as an .EXE.  In fact everything I tryed to do, there is
            > no way to use a .JAR for anything on a Window98 platform.  And no
            > help anywhere online.

            You might try using a file association, associating the JAR extension to the java runtime.

          • Moulton, Ernie Mr USAREC
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 26 6:32 AM
              Did you try opening it with IE?

              Ernie Moulton
              E-Mail Administrator **
              ACS / HQ USAREC
              502 626-1664 FAX 502 626-0994
              mailto:moulton@...

            • rasyr@bellsouth.net
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 26 6:51 AM
                --- In pcgen@y..., "STILES, BRAD" <BRAD.STILES@s...> wrote:

                >> I havn't had the opertunity to try on my current windows 2000
                >> system. But I know that standard distrubtion of Windows98 does
                >> not regard a .JAR as an .EXE. In fact everything I tryed to do,
                >> there is no way to use a .JAR for anything on a Window98
                >> platform. And no help anywhere online.
                >
                > You might try using a file association, associating the JAR
                >extension to the java runtime.

                Actually, executable jar files are usually associated with javaw.

                Also, in order for a jar to executable, the manifest.mf file needs to
                contain a special entry indicating what the main class of the jar is,
                so that upon double-clicking on it calls that main class upon
                execution.

                And, no I haven't found any real documentation on this either. This
                has been discovered through trial and error and checking out various
                jar files and their manifests.......

                :)
              • mocha@mcs.net
                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 26 12:41 PM
                  --- In pcgen@y..., "Darwin" <darwin@c...> wrote:
                  > --- In pcgen@y..., mocha@m... wrote:
                  >
                  > > I plan on distributing as a jar file, which is effectively an exe
                  > > since most OSes should recognize it as a java file. Hopefully
                  > there
                  > > won't be much to explain - just double click on the jar file like
                  > you
                  > > do on the exe file and you're good to go. I will address any
                  > problems
                  > > that popup in the readme.html - that's where I'll put in any
                  > required
                  > > instructions.
                  >
                  > I havn't had the opertunity to try on my current windows 2000
                  > system. But I know that standard distrubtion of Windows98 does not
                  > regard a .JAR as an .EXE. In fact everything I tryed to do, there
                  is
                  > no way to use a .JAR for anything on a Window98 platform. And no
                  > help anywhere online.
                  >
                  > I will trust in your judgement, just would hate to get left behind.

                  Really? I suppose if worse came to worst I could include a batch
                  file that would launch the jar file (I believe it's java -jar
                  PCGen.jar, just to use an example). My machine at home is Windows98
                  and I've had no trouble launching JAR files - I haven't done anything
                  to it, though I have java development tools installed on it which
                  might take care of that issue for me. If the JAR file is problematic
                  I'll include a batch script which should take care of it - or include
                  a FAQ to address common problems on launching.

                  > > I've been thinking of converting the pcg files to xml -
                  converting
                  > > the lst files to xml would be an extremely large undertaking at
                  > this
                  > > point and wouldn't serve any real purpose, since they are files
                  > meant
                  > > only for PCGen's consumption. The pcg files could conceivably be
                  > used
                  > > by other apps since the pcg file contains all the info about a
                  > > character, so xml is an obvious choice for that.
                  > >
                  > > I hope this answers you questions! :)
                  > >
                  > > -Bryan
                  >
                  > K, just wondering on that one, becuase tab-deliniated files are a
                  > pain in the --- to work with do to the fact they are hard to read.

                  To each their own - I suppose this is why some users like to use
                  Excel as their editor of choice - it separates all the fields into
                  cells. I guess I'm so used to the layout that it doesn't bother me,
                  though I can see how the odd spacing could annoy others. I'm not
                  sure what alternative would produce better results - any other
                  character would make everything run together.

                  -Bryan
                • Strangg1@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 29 , Dec 4, 2001
                         I don't suppose anyone knows the 3e equivalent to the 2e spell Airy Water? It basically made all the water in a 10ft sphere breathable, and the sphere moved with the target of the spell.  i didn't even know the spell existed until i double checked in my 2e DMG, odd some of the things you miss for 15 years isn't it?

                    ~Shanne
                    "What do you mean i got a -20 penalty on my spot check?"
                  • Strangg1@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 29 , Dec 4, 2001
                      Ok i completed the .lst file for Dragon Mag issue #174, only problem is i'm getting an error (surprised?).  Error is:  ~   Illegal equipment info dragon174item.lst:27 " "    ~
                      I check line 27 for a space, instead of a tab. It started out as line 29. I cut the line and pasted it to the bottom of the list deleted the blank line and it went from error 29 to 28.  So i cut 28 and pasted it at the bottom deleting the blank line and it moved to 27.. repeat...then 26, makes no sense.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

                      On a side note every item in the .lst loads correctly and prints out as it should..that's a plus.  I should just ignore the silly errors and get on to converting more Dragon Magazines over.

                      ~Shanne
                      "Run for your lives! It's the hidden " " ......"
                    • Strangg1@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 29 , Dec 4, 2001
                        Correction, the error reads

                        Illegal equipment info dragon174item.lst:26 " "

                        not .lst27, not that i think it will matter much.

                        ~Shanne
                        Tired..heading to bed...*snore*
                      • mynex2k1@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 29 , Dec 4, 2001
                          Do me a favor and upload the file here in the inworks folder so I can
                          take a look at it for you. I'll take a look at it after I get off
                          work and try to find the issue for you.

                          Mynex

                        • Strangg1@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 29 , Dec 4, 2001
                                 I once saw rules for converting races/classes from 2e-3e somewhere on WotC website (i think), however i can't seem to find it anywhere.  It may have been somewhere else that i saw it i'm not 100% sure on it.  Anyone have any clues?

                            ~Strangg
                            Hunter of the ever elusive " "

                            Death sends a radiogram every day: When I want you I’ll drop in—and then one day he comes with a master-key and lets himself in and says: We’ll go now.
                            -Carl Sandburg

                            War can only be abolished through war, and in order to get rid of the gun it is necessary to take up the gun.
                            -Mao Zedong
                          • mynex2k1
                            Message 13 of 29 , Dec 4, 2001
                              Just prior to 3E being released, WotC started releasing these little
                              conversion rules... Might have to check a WotC store for em... should
                              be online somewhere though...

                              Mynex

                              --- In pcgen@y..., Strangg1@a... wrote:
                              > I once saw rules for converting races/classes from 2e-3e
                              somewhere on
                              > WotC website (i think), however i can't seem to find it anywhere.
                              It may
                              > have been somewhere else that i saw it i'm not 100% sure on it.
                              Anyone have
                              > any clues?
                              >
                              > ~Strangg
                              > Hunter of the ever elusive " "
                              >
                              > Death sends a radiogram every day: When I want you I’ll drop
                              inâ€"and then one
                              > day he comes with a master-key and lets himself in and says:
                              We’ll go now.
                              > -Carl Sandburg
                              >
                              > War can only be abolished through war, and in order to get rid of
                              the gun it
                              > is necessary to take up the gun.
                              > -Mao Zedong
                            • zodar6
                              Message 14 of 29 , Dec 4, 2001
                                Try here: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/DnD_CYC_intro.asp

                                --- In pcgen@y..., "mynex2k1" <mynex2k1@y...> wrote:

                                > Just prior to 3E being released, WotC started releasing these
                                little
                                > conversion rules... Might have to check a WotC store for em...
                                should
                                > be online somewhere though...
                                >
                                > Mynex
                                >
                                > --- In pcgen@y..., Strangg1@a... wrote:
                                > > I once saw rules for converting races/classes from 2e-3e
                                > somewhere on
                                > > WotC website (i think), however i can't seem to find it
                                anywhere.
                                > It may
                                > > have been somewhere else that i saw it i'm not 100% sure on it.
                                > Anyone have
                                > > any clues?
                                > >
                                > > ~Strangg
                                > > Hunter of the ever elusive " "
                                > >
                                > > Death sends a radiogram every day: When I want you I’ll drop
                                > inâ€"and then one
                                > > day he comes with a master-key and lets himself in and says:
                                > We’ll go now.
                                > > -Carl Sandburg
                                > >
                                > > War can only be abolished through war, and in order to get rid of
                                > the gun it
                                > > is necessary to take up the gun.
                                > > -Mao Zedong
                              • Rob Hines Jr.
                                Message 15 of 29 , Dec 5, 2001
                                  I still have my booklet from the 3e release at Gencon 2 years ago. I could
                                  photocopy it and mail it.

                                  Rob

                                  --- In pcgen@y..., Strangg1@a... wrote:
                                  > I once saw rules for converting races/classes from 2e-3e
                                  somewhere on
                                  > WotC website (i think), however i can't seem to find it anywhere.
                                  It may
                                  > have been somewhere else that i saw it i'm not 100% sure on it.
                                  Anyone have
                                  > any clues?
                                  >
                                  > ~Strangg
                                  > Hunter of the ever elusive " "
                                  >
                                  > Death sends a radiogram every day: When I want you I’ll drop
                                  inâ€"and then one
                                  > day he comes with a master-key and lets himself in and says:
                                  We’ll go now.
                                  > -Carl Sandburg
                                  >
                                  > War can only be abolished through war, and in order to get rid of
                                  the gun it
                                  > is necessary to take up the gun.
                                  > -Mao Zedong

                                  Rob

                                  ----
                                  Rob Hines Jr.
                                  Systems Administrator

                                  (http://www.geekcode.com)
                                • samspectre
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Dec 5, 2001
                                    I might be able to dredge up the .PDF of that the Conversion Rules at
                                    home tonight. Who needs 'em?

                                    Dennis
                                    dennis@...
                                  • Mark Hulsman
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Dec 5, 2001
                                      > I still have my booklet from the 3e release at Gencon 2 years ago. I could
                                      > photocopy it and mail it.

                                      Theres a pdf of that book on the cd that came with the PHB.
                                    • Phantom of Krankor
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Dec 5, 2001
                                        The pdf is available at
                                        http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/Conversion%20Book.pdf

                                        Enjoy!

                                        -Greg G

                                        --- samspectre <dennis@...> wrote:
                                        > I might be able to dredge up the .PDF of that the Conversion Rules at
                                        >
                                        > home tonight. Who needs 'em?
                                        >
                                        > Dennis
                                        > dennis@...

                                        http://shopping.yahoo.com
                                      • samspectre
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Dec 5, 2001
                                          Actually, you can get a copy here...

                                          --- In pcgen@y..., "Mark Hulsman" <hulsmanm@p...> wrote:
                                          > > I still have my booklet from the 3e release at Gencon 2 years
                                          ago. I could
                                          > > photocopy it and mail it.
                                          >
                                          > Theres a pdf of that book on the cd that came with the PHB.
                                        • lonejedi70
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Dec 5, 2001
                                            If anyone's still looking for a copy I have the PDF from the WotC
                                            site on a backup CD at home. I can upload it here tonight...

                                            -Lone Jedi
                                            (Jason)

                                            --- In pcgen@y..., "Rob Hines Jr." <rook@i...> wrote:
                                            > I still have my booklet from the 3e release at Gencon 2 years ago.
                                            I could
                                            > photocopy it and mail it.
                                            >
                                            > Rob
                                            >
                                            > On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, mynex2k1 wrote:
                                            >

                                            > Just prior to 3E being released, WotC started releasing these little
                                            > conversion rules... Might have to check a WotC store for em...
                                            should
                                            > be online somewhere though...
                                            >
                                            > Mynex
                                          • lonejedi70
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Dec 5, 2001
                                              Oops, now I see all the messages with the direct links to it... so
                                              nevermind :D

                                              -Lone Jedi
                                              (Jason)

                                              --- In pcgen@y..., "lonejedi70" <lonejedi70@h...> wrote:
                                              > If anyone's still looking for a copy I have the PDF from the WotC
                                              > site on a backup CD at home. I can upload it here tonight...
                                              >
                                              > -Lone Jedi
                                              > (Jason)
                                            • gsbingl
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Dec 5, 2001
                                                isn't it also on the CD that's in the back of the PHB?

                                              • Strangg1@aol.com
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Dec 5, 2001
                                                  In a message dated 12/5/01 9:48:41 AM Central Standard Time, dennis@... writes:

                                                  I might be able to dredge up the .PDF of that the Conversion Rules at
                                                  home tonight.  Who needs 'em?

                                                  Dennis
                                                  dennis@...

                                                  I could use it,  the dang thing on wizards is in PDF but won't let you download it, it just auto-opens in your browser and it always loads with some type of screw ball error and if i save it it won't open  because of the error.

                                                  Thanks in advance

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Dec 5, 2001
                                                    That's your browser doing that. Just right-mouse-click and select
                                                    "Save Target As...." and that'll download it for you.

                                                    -Greg G

                                                    http://shopping.yahoo.com
                                                  • Strangg1@aol.com
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Dec 5, 2001
                                                      In a message dated 12/5/01 9:52:26 AM Central Standard Time, hulsmanm@... writes:

                                                      Theres a pdf of that book on the cd that came with the PHB.

                                                      Well i'll be, that sure makes all kinds of sense dunno why i never explored the thing.  Probably had somehting to do with nothing on the CD caching my interest so i put it back in the book and forgot about it until you mentioned it..... Always finding things in the most obvious of places.  Thanks once again.

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Dec 5, 2001
                                                        Right click on the link, and choose save as. :)

                                                        Mynex

                                                        --- In pcgen@y..., Strangg1@a... wrote:
                                                        > In a message dated 12/5/01 9:48:41 AM Central Standard Time,
                                                        > dennis@h... writes:
                                                        >

                                                        > > I might be able to dredge up the .PDF of that the Conversion
                                                        Rules at
                                                        > > home tonight. Who needs 'em?
                                                        > >
                                                        > > Dennis
                                                        > > dennis@h...
                                                        > >

                                                        > I could use it, the dang thing on wizards is in PDF but won't let
                                                        you
                                                        > download it, it just auto-opens in your browser and it always
                                                        loads with some
                                                        > type of screw ball error and if i save it it won't open because
                                                        of the error.

                                                        > Thanks in advance
                                                        > ~Strangg
                                                        > Hunter of the ever elusive " "
                                                        >
                                                        > Death sends a radiogram every day: When I want you I’ll drop
                                                        inâ€"and then one
                                                        > day he comes with a master-key and lets himself in and says:
                                                        We’ll go now.
                                                        > -Carl Sandburg
                                                        >
                                                        > War can only be abolished through war, and in order to get rid of
                                                        the gun it
                                                        > is necessary to take up the gun.
                                                        > -Mao Zedong
                                                      • John
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Feb 19, 2013

                                                          I saw some messages about data file conversion but it sounds like it is not working perfectly. I was wondering if there was an expert out there who could help me. I own just about all of the CMP data files. I last had working them working under 5.14.1. Is there someone who could help me get them upgraded. Feel free to contact me directly at john (dot) j (dot) stanton (at) gmail (dot) com.

                                                          Thanks,
                                                          John
                                                          john.j.stanton@...
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Feb 19, 2013

                                                            The converter only gets fixed when people bring up issues. So don't let the few issues that have
                                                            been fixed scare you from using the converter.

                                                            5.16 converter is working fine. The current problems are with 6.0's converter, and like I said those
                                                            are being addressed.

                                                            I'd invite you to join the listfilehelp group and we can help you through your conversion. I'm
                                                            usually around to lend an expert hand.

                                                            Cheers,

                                                            On 2/19/2013 7:02 PM, John wrote:
                                                            > Hi,
                                                            >
                                                            > I saw some messages about data file conversion but it sounds like it is not working perfectly. I was wondering if there was an expert out there who could help me. I own just about all of the CMP data files. I last had working them working under 5.14.1. Is there someone who could help me get them upgraded. Feel free to contact me directly at john (dot) j (dot) stanton (at) gmail (dot) com.
                                                            >
                                                            > Thanks,
                                                            > John
                                                            > john.j.stanton@...

                                                          • rogerwllco
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Feb 20, 2013
                                                              Hi John,

                                                              I'm almost done converting my CMP files to 6.00 from 5.14.1, I also have nearly all the files.
                                                              I think we might be able to work out something so you don't have to do the same work I've done. For example I could send you a list of the changes I made to files we both own.
                                                              I'll contact you at the e-mail address you mention.

                                                              Cheers,

                                                              Adriaan Renting/RogerWilco