BONUS:VAR| ... |CLASSLEVEL problem

  • Eric Beaudoin
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2002
      Hi everyone,

      I'm trying to fix the Monte Cook's Bard so that it gets the Bardic knowledge skill based on its level and inteligence just like the PHB Bard. I've add the following to the first level of the MC Bard:

      SA:Bardic knowledge (+%)|Bardic knowledge
      DEFINE:Bardic knowledge|0
      BONUS:VAR|Bardic knowledge|CLASSLEVEL=Bard (Monte Cook's)
      BONUS:VAR|Bardic knowledge|INT

      (all on the same line naturally, see eldritch2classes.lst for the real deal).

      My problem is that the level is never counted. I tryed to put "CLASSLEVEL=Bard" instead but it still doesn't work.

      Is this a bug or is there something I can do to make the CLASSLEVEL work? I've uploaded the modified eldritch2classes.lst to SourceForge if anyone wants to have a look.

      TIA

      Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
      >> In space, no one can hear you sleep...
      <mailto:beaudoer@...>
    • tirgwaith
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2002
        We're talking about class levels of a particular class inside the
        definition lines of that class? Why not just use CL, as in
        BONUS:VAR|Bardic knowledge|CL ?

        CL is the number of levels of the class defined. TL is total number
        of levels (not including monster levels), and TL-CL is the number of
        levels not from that particular class.

        I'm not sure what CLASSLEVEL=<something> is supposed to do. Never
        seen it before. Seen PRECLASS:<something>=<level> where if it has
        <level> or more levels of class <something> it applies.

        Tir Gwaith
        LST Chimp

        --- In pcgen@y..., Eric Beaudoin <beaudoer@v...> wrote:
        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I'm trying to fix the Monte Cook's Bard so that it gets the Bardic
        knowledge skill based on its level and inteligence just like the PHB
        Bard. I've add the following to the first level of the MC Bard:

        > SA:Bardic knowledge (+%)|Bardic knowledge
        > DEFINE:Bardic knowledge|0
        > BONUS:VAR|Bardic knowledge|CLASSLEVEL=Bard (Monte Cook's)
        > BONUS:VAR|Bardic knowledge|INT
        >
        > (all on the same line naturally, see eldritch2classes.lst for the
        real deal).

        > My problem is that the level is never counted. I tryed to
        put "CLASSLEVEL=Bard" instead but it still doesn't work.

        > Is this a bug or is there something I can do to make the CLASSLEVEL
        work? I've uploaded the modified eldritch2classes.lst to SourceForge
        if anyone wants to have a look.

        > TIA

        > Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
        > >> In space, no one can hear you sleep...
        > <mailto:beaudoer@v...>
      • gsbingl
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2002
          It's the parenthesis messing you up. It is looking for levels of
          Bard. Do you want me to look at fixing the code or do you want to
          handle it?

          Byngl

          --- In pcgen@y..., Eric Beaudoin <beaudoer@v...> wrote:
          > Hi everyone,
          >
          > I'm trying to fix the Monte Cook's Bard so that it gets the Bardic
          knowledge skill based on its level and inteligence just like the PHB
          Bard. I've add the following to the first level of the MC Bard:

          > SA:Bardic knowledge (+%)|Bardic knowledge
          > DEFINE:Bardic knowledge|0
          > BONUS:VAR|Bardic knowledge|CLASSLEVEL=Bard (Monte Cook's)
          > BONUS:VAR|Bardic knowledge|INT
          >
          > (all on the same line naturally, see eldritch2classes.lst for the
          real deal).

          > My problem is that the level is never counted. I tryed to put
          "CLASSLEVEL=Bard" instead but it still doesn't work.

          > Is this a bug or is there something I can do to make the CLASSLEVEL
          work? I've uploaded the modified eldritch2classes.lst to SourceForge
          if anyone wants to have a look.

          > TIA

          > Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
          > >> In space, no one can hear you sleep...
          > <mailto:beaudoer@v...>
        • Eric Beaudoin
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2002
            I tryed replacing "BONUS:VAR|Bardic knowledge|CLASSLEVEL=Bard (Monte Cook's)" by "BONUS:VAR|Bardic knowledge|CL" but it doesn't work eigther. I still only get the bonus for INT.

            "BONUS:VAR|Bardic Knowledge|CLASSLEVEL=Bard" is what is used with the PHB Bard, and it works.

            Any other clue?

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 1, 2002
              You might want to put a .IF.CLASSLEVEL=xxx.GT.0
              conditional in here too

              Byngl

              --- In pcgen@y..., Eric Beaudoin <beaudoer@v...> wrote:
              > Hi everyone,
              >
              > I'm trying to fix the Monte Cook's Bard so that it gets the Bardic
              knowledge skill based on its level and inteligence just like the PHB
              Bard. I've add the following to the first level of the MC Bard:

              > SA:Bardic knowledge (+%)|Bardic knowledge
              > DEFINE:Bardic knowledge|0
              > BONUS:VAR|Bardic knowledge|CLASSLEVEL=Bard (Monte Cook's)
              > BONUS:VAR|Bardic knowledge|INT
              >
              > (all on the same line naturally, see eldritch2classes.lst for the
              real deal).

              > My problem is that the level is never counted. I tryed to put
              "CLASSLEVEL=Bard" instead but it still doesn't work.

              > Is this a bug or is there something I can do to make the CLASSLEVEL
              work? I've uploaded the modified eldritch2classes.lst to SourceForge
              if anyone wants to have a look.

              > TIA

              > Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
              > >> In space, no one can hear you sleep...
              > <mailto:beaudoer@v...>
            • Eric Beaudoin
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 1, 2002
                At 22:51 2002.04.01, gsbingl wrote:
                >It's the parenthesis messing you up. It is looking for levels of
                >Bard. Do you want me to look at fixing the code or do you want to
                >handle it?
                >
                >Byngl

                My hability to code Java is pretty at the same level as my hability to fly. I've been trying to miss the Earth for years without success :-).

                If you can fix this, I would appreciate it.

                Thanks

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 1, 2002
                  I've made a change so that if you use {} instead of () it will work.

                  Unless the INT bonus stacks for Bard and Monte's bard this entry
                  would probably be better (you'll need to change PHB bard as well)

                  SA:Bardic knowledge (+%)|Bardic knowledge
                  DEFINE:Bardic knowledge|.IF.INT.GT.0.THEN.INT.ELSE.0
                  BONUS:VAR|Bardic knowledge|CLASSLEVEL=Bard {Monte Cook's}

                  > You might want to put a .IF.CLASSLEVEL=xxx.GT.0
                  > conditional in here too

                  oops, I meant .IF.INT.

                  Byngl

                  > --- In pcgen@y..., Eric Beaudoin <beaudoer@v...> wrote:
                  > > Hi everyone,
                  > >
                  > > I'm trying to fix the Monte Cook's Bard so that it gets the
                  Bardic
                  > knowledge skill based on its level and inteligence just like the
                  PHB
                  > Bard. I've add the following to the first level of the MC Bard:
                  > >
                  > > SA:Bardic knowledge (+%)|Bardic knowledge
                  > > DEFINE:Bardic knowledge|0
                  > > BONUS:VAR|Bardic knowledge|CLASSLEVEL=Bard (Monte Cook's)
                  > > BONUS:VAR|Bardic knowledge|INT
                  > >
                  > > (all on the same line naturally, see eldritch2classes.lst for the
                  > real deal).
                  > >
                  > > My problem is that the level is never counted. I tryed to put
                  > "CLASSLEVEL=Bard" instead but it still doesn't work.
                  > >
                  > > Is this a bug or is there something I can do to make the
                  CLASSLEVEL
                  > work? I've uploaded the modified eldritch2classes.lst to
                  SourceForge
                  > if anyone wants to have a look.
                  > >
                  > > TIA

                  > > Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
                  > > <mailto:beaudoer@v...>
                • Eric Beaudoin
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 2, 2002
                    At 23:39 2002.04.01, gsbingl wrote:
                    I've made a change so that if you use {} instead of () it will work.

                    Unless the INT bonus stacks for Bard and Monte's bard this entry
                    would probably be better (you'll need to change PHB bard as well)

                    SA:Bardic knowledge (+%)|Bardic knowledge
                    DEFINE:Bardic knowledge|.IF.INT.GT.0.THEN.INT.ELSE.0
                    BONUS:VAR|Bardic knowledge|CLASSLEVEL=Bard {Monte Cook's}

                    > You might want to put a .IF.CLASSLEVEL=xxx.GT.0
                    > conditional in here too

                    oops, I meant .IF.INT.

                    Byngl

                    Thanks for the quick fix.

                    The INT thing raise a good question. The BOEM2 says "A bard may make a special bardic knowledge check with a bonus equal to her level plus her Intelligence modifier [...]". My take on this is that it states "modifier" and not "bonus" so negative modifier apply. What do you guys think?

                    Best

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 2, 2002
                      Maybe:

                      BONUS:VAR|Bardic
                      knowledge|.IF.INT+CLASSLEVEL=xxx.GT.0.THEN.INT+CLASSLEVEL=xxx.ELSE.0

                      since "with a bonus equal to..." is stated

                      Byngl

                    • john.sussenberger@libertymutual.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 3, 2002
                        Message
                        Yes,  modifier can be a negative number and should be a penalty to the roll if the attribute is below 10.

                        John Sussenberger