Re: [pcgen] Re: Java help needed

  • Scott Ellsworth
    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 1, 2002
      On Monday, April 1, 2002, at 04:20 PM, j_d_ray wrote:

      > --- In pcgen@y..., Scott Ellsworth <scott@a...> wrote:
      >> One would, but then one would realize that XP is Microsoft land,
      > and MS does not want it to be easy to run Java applications. Sun often
      > shoots itself in the foot, but at least they want you to have a running
      > JVM at the end of the day. MS most definitely does not.

      > Well, okay, thanks. Now another question: Is there anything I can
      > do to speed up PCGen on my PC? Frankly, it runs like a pig.

      The first, major, question is: how much RAM do you have? Many people
      have reported adding more RAM made life go a lot better. For me, I
      found 256 to be cheap to buy, and a real life saver pretty much across
      the board for all Windows applications. (512 is nice if you can get it,
      but I doubt that you will need it.)

      What kind of machine is it? I was getting acceptable speed on a P2/400,
      but what I considered good enough might not be what others want.

      Also, only load those sources that you need - for example, loading the
      PHB, DMG, and basic FR campaign settings made things go much, much
      faster than loading everything.

      Scott
    • Dustin Cook
      Message 34 of 34 , Apr 2, 2002