Armor as DR

  • phoenix_knightwind
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1 9:36 AM
      The AC rules have always bothered me because they combine too many
      factors. What I have read on the Internet leads me to believe that
      I'm not alone in this. In fact I have the impression that d20
      modern along with other non-WoTC products is going to begin
      addressing this. I had a brainstorm this weekend on a temporary fix
      that I hope is close to what the publishers are thinking.

      I did three things.

      1) I worked out defense bonuses by class and level for the core
      classes using other d20 publications as guidelines.

      2) I worked out critical threat range changes to allow for using the
      vitality/health system rather than Hit Points.

      3) I worked up a system for converting armor AC bonus to damage
      resistance by multiplying the bonus by 1.5 and rounding down. I
      came up with this formula by matching a few standard armors with
      their equivalents from other products that provide DR. Then I backed
      into the numbers. I also devised a system to assign fortification
      against critical hits for the heavier armors to allow for more
      flexibility and to provide greater importance to armor type when
      using the vitality/health system. Natural armor would add DR at a 1
      for 1 ratio. Deflection bonuses and magical bonuses would still go
      to defense rather than DR.

      This system provides some additional realism and a new level of
      detail to combat. It could require the creation of additional feats
      for defense bonus adjustments based on fighting style and require
      adjustments to some current feats. It may also call for armor
      damage rules to be worked into combat automatically rather than as a
      separate system for targeting armor.

      This is still very much in the infant stages of development, but I
      would love your feedback. My group will be play-testing it, but I
      welcome anyone else who wants to try it.

      I've uploaded the tables I worked up into the misc. folder for your
      review.

      Thanks for your help.
    • Bill Olander
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1 9:52 AM
        Seems like an aweful lot of work for figuring out something you could pick
        up by dropping $6 on a Dungeon magazine..

        Well, except for the base defense bonus, with which I'd use Wheel of Time as
        a guideline..including a few good fighter mods.
        -Bill

        > The AC rules have always bothered me because they combine too many
        > factors. What I have read on the Internet leads me to believe that
        > I'm not alone in this. In fact I have the impression that d20
        > modern along with other non-WoTC products is going to begin
        > addressing this. I had a brainstorm this weekend on a temporary fix
        > that I hope is close to what the publishers are thinking.
        >

        > I did three things.
        >
        > 1) I worked out defense bonuses by class and level for the core
        > classes using other d20 publications as guidelines.
        >
        > 2) I worked out critical threat range changes to allow for using the
        > vitality/health system rather than Hit Points.
        >
        > 3) I worked up a system for converting armor AC bonus to damage
        > resistance by multiplying the bonus by 1.5 and rounding down. I
        > came up with this formula by matching a few standard armors with
        > their equivalents from other products that provide DR. Then I backed
        > into the numbers. I also devised a system to assign fortification
        > against critical hits for the heavier armors to allow for more
        > flexibility and to provide greater importance to armor type when
        > using the vitality/health system. Natural armor would add DR at a 1
        > for 1 ratio. Deflection bonuses and magical bonuses would still go
        > to defense rather than DR.
        >

        > This system provides some additional realism and a new level of
        > detail to combat. It could require the creation of additional feats
        > for defense bonus adjustments based on fighting style and require
        > adjustments to some current feats. It may also call for armor
        > damage rules to be worked into combat automatically rather than as a
        > separate system for targeting armor.
        >

        > This is still very much in the infant stages of development, but I
        > would love your feedback. My group will be play-testing it, but I
        > welcome anyone else who wants to try it.
        >

        > I've uploaded the tables I worked up into the misc. folder for your
        > review.
        >

        > Thanks for your help.

      • phoenix_knightwind
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1 12:23 PM
          Which Dungeon?

          --- In pcgen@y..., "Bill Olander" <groups@d...> wrote:
          > Seems like an aweful lot of work for figuring out something you
          could pick
          > up by dropping $6 on a Dungeon magazine..
          >
          > Well, except for the base defense bonus, with which I'd use Wheel
          of Time as
          > a guideline..including a few good fighter mods.
          > -Bill

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • George Galang
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1 12:38 PM
            > > Seems like an aweful lot of work for figuring out something you
            > could pick
            > > up by dropping $6 on a Dungeon magazine..
            > >
            > > Well, except for the base defense bonus, with which I'd use Wheel
            > of Time as
            > > a guideline..including a few good fighter mods.
            > > -Bill

            My question would be has someone modified the D&D section of stuff to
            use Armor as DR and the Wheel of Time Defensive Bonus already? I have
            tried to override the classes, with no luck, to include the Defensive
            Bonus for the Core D&D rules. Has someone else done this and have
            examples or the .lst files that they can share?

            --
            George Galang
            LJ (http://www.livejournal.com/users/galangg)
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1 1:08 PM
              Well, technically it was the Polyhedron on the back.. but it was the
              Polyhedron that had the preview game for D20 modern.. the Shadow Chasers
              game (Aka. Buffy with the serial number filed off) It had the wound/Vitality
              system and Armor provided DR to wound points only equal to 1/2 of its
              standard AC bonus. There were 6 core classes, each devoted to a different
              attribute ("Strong Hero", "Fast Hero", "Smart Hero") and the fancy stuff was
              handled through prestige classes.

              If you were just talking about PCGen write ups then I'm sorry if I spoke
              before thinking.. it's been a long day.
              -Bill

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1 1:32 PM
                On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Bill Olander wrote:

                > Well, technically it was the Polyhedron on the back.. but it was the
                > Polyhedron that had the preview game for D20 modern.. the Shadow Chasers
                > game (Aka. Buffy with the serial number filed off) It had the wound/Vitality
                > system and Armor provided DR to wound points only equal to 1/2 of its
                > standard AC bonus. There were 6 core classes, each devoted to a different
                > attribute ("Strong Hero", "Fast Hero", "Smart Hero") and the fancy stuff was
                > handled through prestige classes.
                >
                > If you were just talking about PCGen write ups then I'm sorry if I spoke
                > before thinking.. it's been a long day.

                Yeah, PCGen writeups. :) It's okay. Does anyone else have PCGen
                writeups that would do the DR / Defensive Bonus concept?

                If I could do the overriding of classes, I would give it a whirl, but I
                can't get classes to override properly. If someone could give me an
                example of overriding, say, the fighter class with something, that would
                be of *GREAT* help.