The New Spells Tab [was re: plamberts...]

  • Emily Smirle
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 1, 2002
      merton_monk wrote:

      > Ah - the new SpellsTab is causing the trouble. You can remove
      > src/java/pcgen/gui/SpellsTab.java before building. It's the new very
      > incomplete revamp of the SpellsTab that will replace InfoSpells.java
      > when finished.

      I can't get a look at it, unfortunately. I followed the instructions
      posted to the developers bord, and had my build fail (results posted to
      same location). any clue, merton? or could we get a screen cap or
      something from someone who got it to work?
      --
      "Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total
      oblivion. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 2, 2002
        > I can't get a look at it, unfortunately. I followed the instructions
        > posted to the developers bord, and had my build fail (results posted

        Ok, do a new cvs update and then copy the src/java/pcgen/gui/SpellsTab.temp to InfoSpells.java and recompile.

        I just did this and it actualy worked :-)

        Please let me know what you think, as now is the time for changes!

        --Jayme
      • Emily Smirle
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 2, 2002
          jaymecox wrote:

          > Ok, do a new cvs update and then copy the src/java/pcgen/gui/SpellsTab.temp to InfoSpells.java and recompile.
          >
          > I just did this and it actualy worked :-)

          Woot! success!

          > Please let me know what you think, as now is the time for changes!

          Love the look of it. Fantastic.

          Suggestions/comments/ponderables:
          1) Alternate view options for existing books:
          Class/Spellbook/Level (if I am a Cleric/Sorcerer, I'll
          have two different Known spells lists, that must be kept separate)

          2) for Available spells, you might want to display Domain information
          somewhere on the table, instead of lurking down at the bottom of the
          screen. As a Divine spellcaster, my Cleric is much more concerned about
          her bonus domains than she is the school of any particular spell. I
          would personally suggest having both collumns, but either (or both) able
          to be hidden as the user desires.

          3) when the metamagic feats are finally fully implemented, how will you
          apply a given feat to an available spell?

          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 2, 2002
            More thoughts:

            use the sortable tree tables for both known and available spells.

            sort the tables by name as a default; currently they don't seem to be
            sorted at all.

            As far as I can tell, domain informaiton is not displayed at all. this
            is bad. please show it at *least* in the spell information window at the
            bottom.
          • arknath1
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 2, 2002
              Since we are making suggestions *ahem*...

              I know divine spellcasters are beefy and know every single divine
              spell in god's creation (pun intended), but I, as a person who uses a
              laptop at the gaming table, would like to have a "Prepared" list so
              that I can see what spells I've actually prepared for the day. As a
              DM, it wouldn't be bad for you to have the same sort of thing (even
              if only in list format) for PC's so that you can say "Ok, if you
              don't tell me you memorize X spell, then you don't have it prepared
              that day" and we can mark it in the appropriate column. :)

              Arknath

              --- In pcgen@y..., Emily Smirle <smirle4498@r...> wrote:
              > jaymecox wrote:
              >
              > > Ok, do a new cvs update and then copy the
              src/java/pcgen/gui/SpellsTab.temp to InfoSpells.java and recompile.

              > > I just did this and it actualy worked :-)
              >

              > Woot! success!
              >

              > > Please let me know what you think, as now is the time for changes!
              >

              > Love the look of it. Fantastic.
              >
              > Suggestions/comments/ponderables:
              > 1) Alternate view options for existing books:
              > Class/Spellbook/Level (if I am a Cleric/Sorcerer,
              I'll
              > have two different Known spells lists, that must be kept separate)
              >
              > 2) for Available spells, you might want to display Domain
              information
              > somewhere on the table, instead of lurking down at the bottom of
              the
              > screen. As a Divine spellcaster, my Cleric is much more concerned
              about
              > her bonus domains than she is the school of any particular spell. I
              > would personally suggest having both collumns, but either (or both)
              able
              > to be hidden as the user desires.
              >
              > 3) when the metamagic feats are finally fully implemented, how will
              you
              > apply a given feat to an available spell?
              >

              > --
              > "Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total
              > oblivion. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me
              and
              > through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to
              > see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing.
              > Only I will remain." - www.goats.com
            • bd_92
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 2, 2002
                --- In pcgen@y..., "jaymecox" <jayme@r...> wrote:
                > > I can't get a look at it, unfortunately. I followed the
                instructions
                > > posted to the developers bord, and had my build fail (results
                posted

                > Ok, do a new cvs update and then copy the
                src/java/pcgen/gui/SpellsTab.temp to InfoSpells.java and recompile.

                > I just did this and it actualy worked :-)
                >
                > Please let me know what you think, as now is the time for changes!
                >
                > --Jayme

                get this in the plambert autobuilds ASAP..i want to see this. Or if
                someone can email me the .jar file to bd_92@... I want to check
                this out..
              • Emily Smirle
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 2, 2002
                  arknath1 wrote:

                  > Since we are making suggestions *ahem*...
                  >
                  > I know divine spellcasters are beefy and know every single divine
                  > spell in god's creation (pun intended), but I, as a person who uses a
                  > laptop at the gaming table, would like to have a "Prepared" list so
                  > that I can see what spells I've actually prepared for the day.

                  Even the old spell tab handles this. Create a new "spellbook" (suggested
                  name: Prepared Spells ;) and voila, you can add spells to it to indicate
                  these are the ones you have available today.
                  --
                  "Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total
                  oblivion. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and
                  through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to
                  see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing.
                  Only I will remain." - www.goats.com
                • Scott Ellsworth
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 2, 2002
                    On Tuesday, April 2, 2002, at 06:03 PM, Emily Smirle wrote:

                    > Even the old spell tab handles this. Create a new "spellbook"
                    > (suggested name: Prepared Spells ;) and voila, you can add spells to it
                    > to indicate these are the ones you have available today.

                    That would be a lot more useful, though, if CSheetROG.fo printed out the
                    spells in books other than "known spells". Given that the known spells
                    are printed in gory detail, it would probably be enough to just have a
                    list of names sorted by level in alternate books.

                    Scott
                  • Rogue the Bronze Firelizard
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 2, 2002
                      On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Emily Smirle wrote:

                      > arknath1 wrote:
                      >
                      > > Since we are making suggestions *ahem*...
                      > >
                      > > I know divine spellcasters are beefy and know every single divine
                      > > spell in god's creation (pun intended), but I, as a person who uses a
                      > > laptop at the gaming table, would like to have a "Prepared" list so
                      > > that I can see what spells I've actually prepared for the day.
                      >

                      > Even the old spell tab handles this. Create a new "spellbook" (suggested
                      > name: Prepared Spells ;) and voila, you can add spells to it to indicate
                      > these are the ones you have available today.

                      yes bact non of the current csheets access these memoerized spells
                      which I assumed that due to the fact it no set sname (like Known Spells)
                      its can't (or at least relighbly) be used

                      --
                      Rogue the Bronze Firelizard |http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/rogue/
                      aka Gerald F Grenier, Jr |ICQ:12687301
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 2, 2002
                        --- In pcgen@y..., Rogue the Bronze Firelizard <rogue@p...> wrote:
                        > yes bact non of the current csheets access these memoerized spells
                        > which I assumed that due to the fact it no set sname (like Known
                        Spells)
                        > its can't (or at least relighbly) be used

                        True - however, I have a "new" CSheet I designed that modifies this
                        problem, because I noticed the same thing you did. I will be glad to
                        upload it.

                        (Actually, I just took the last part of csheetspell, and tacked it
                        onto csheet-ROG_combined.htm :-) )

                        Henry
                      • henrythelesser
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 2, 2002

                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 2, 2002
                            --- In pcgen@y..., Emily Smirle <smirle4498@r...> wrote:
                            > More thoughts:
                            >
                            > use the sortable tree tables for both known and available spells.

                            I'll be adding the TableHeader sorter back on very soon.

                            > sort the tables by name as a default; currently they don't seem to be
                            > sorted at all.

                            Hmmm, I'll double check that.

                            > As far as I can tell, domain informaiton is not displayed at all. this
                            > is bad. please show it at *least* in the spell information window at
                            the
                            > bottom.

                            Yeah, I'm still having some problems getting the domain spells to
                            display (and the associated domain info).

                            I was also thinking of ditching the Metamagic Feat table and just a a
                            right click menu to add metamagic when adding a spell...
                          • Rogue the Bronze Firelizard
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 3, 2002
                              On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, henrythelesser wrote:

                              > --- In pcgen@y..., Rogue the Bronze Firelizard <rogue@p...> wrote:
                              > > yes bact non of the current csheets access these memoerized spells
                              > > which I assumed that due to the fact it no set sname (like Known
                              > Spells)
                              > > its can't (or at least relighbly) be used
                              >
                              > True - however, I have a "new" CSheet I designed that modifies this
                              > problem, because I noticed the same thing you did. I will be glad to
                              > upload it.
                              >
                              > (Actually, I just took the last part of csheetspell, and tacked it
                              > onto csheet-ROG_combined.htm :-) )

                              yes I would be intrested in it (esples as csheetROG_combined.htm is my
                              default sheet 8)

                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 3, 2002
                                am i missing something? I have the latest autobuilds and I don't see
                                anything new about the spell tabs. Is it going to be released tonite
                                in the 2.5.2 release?
                              • merton_monk
                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 3, 2002
                                  --- In pcgen@y..., "bd_92" <bd_92@y...> wrote:
                                  > am i missing something? I have the latest autobuilds and I don't
                                  see
                                  > anything new about the spell tabs. Is it going to be released
                                  tonite
                                  > in the 2.5.2 release?

                                  You won't see it in the autobuild and it won't be in tonight's
                                  release. There's a lot more to adding a new tab than just getting
                                  the gui components (the buttons, right-click menus, etc) in place.
                                  We have a very good chance of getting it in for next week's release...

                                  In order to see it you need to get the source and build it yourself
                                  after copying SpellsTab.temp over InfoSpells.java. Maybe someone
                                  could make a screen shot of the tab and upload it here? I haven't
                                  had time to look at it myself yet and I'm looking forward to seeing
                                  it. :)

                                  -Bryan
                                • arknath1
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 3, 2002
                                    OK...so I'm retarded. *Sigh* so much to learn and so many orcs to
                                    kill...

                                    Ark

                                    Thanks Em!

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 3, 2002
                                      Here's a question for future implementation:

                                      What about a SECSCHOOL: tag that allows spells to be categorized in a
                                      second school or two? (a la the old 2E spells and magic) I've come
                                      up with a system that allows for 24 different schools of magic (the
                                      original 9 from the PHB, plus 15 of my own creation) and would like
                                      to be able to use PCGen with them. Just a thought.

                                      Ark

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 3, 2002
                                        How about using them as additional DESCRIPTORS: instead of as
                                        schools? There's a file (system\schools.lst) which lists what
                                        schools are available. You could add your schools, but I think it
                                        would be safer to do it via the DESCRIPTOR: tag. You can have any
                                        number of descriptors associated with a spell and the code already
                                        checks those tags to see if your specialist can consider that spell
                                        as one of their specialty spells.

                                        -Bryan

                                        --- In pcgen@y..., "arknath1" <gemguard@h...> wrote:
                                        > Here's a question for future implementation:
                                        >
                                        > What about a SECSCHOOL: tag that allows spells to be categorized in
                                        > second school or two? (a la the old 2E spells and magic) I've come
                                        > up with a system that allows for 24 different schools of magic (the
                                        > original 9 from the PHB, plus 15 of my own creation) and would like
                                        > to be able to use PCGen with them. Just a thought.
                                        >
                                        > Ark
                                        >
                                        > --- In pcgen@y..., "jaymecox" <jayme@r...> wrote:
                                        > > --- In pcgen@y..., Emily Smirle <smirle4498@r...> wrote:
                                        > > > More thoughts:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > use the sortable tree tables for both known and available
                                        spells.

                                        > > I'll be adding the TableHeader sorter back on very soon.
                                        > >
                                        > > > sort the tables by name as a default; currently they don't seem
                                        > to be
                                        > > > sorted at all.
                                        > >
                                        > > Hmmm, I'll double check that.
                                        > >
                                        > > > As far as I can tell, domain informaiton is not displayed at
                                        all.
                                        > this
                                        > > > is bad. please show it at *least* in the spell information
                                        window
                                        > at
                                        > > the
                                        > > > bottom.
                                        > >
                                        > > Yeah, I'm still having some problems getting the domain spells to
                                        > > display (and the associated domain info).
                                        > >
                                        > > I was also thinking of ditching the Metamagic Feat table and just
                                        > > right click menu to add metamagic when adding a spell...
                                      • Benjamin Pew
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Apr 3, 2002
                                          Really? You can set up a specialist that gets extra spells with a certain
                                          descriptor? How? This would solve a problem I've had.

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Apr 3, 2002
                                            Wow...you guys think of everything.. :)

                                            I didn't know there was one....just shows you how much of a novice to
                                            all this wah wah i really am. Thanks for the help so far...I know
                                            I'll be needing more of it soon...

                                            Ark

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Apr 3, 2002
                                              Remember the Elementalist I used to include with the releases? That
                                              was quite a while ago, but maybe you remember it... anyway, if you
                                              have a Specialist whose specialty is in a Descriptor, they can get a
                                              bonus spell from spells that meet that specialty requirement just as
                                              if it were a school. That way if your specialist specialised
                                              in "Fire" they could choose their bonus spell from any with
                                              the "Fire" descriptor. This would cause a problem if a Descriptor,
                                              School or Subschool ever had the same name. The logic to see if a
                                              spell is in your specialty checks all 3. I'm working on splitting
                                              domains out from specialty, so soon it will have to check 4 places
                                              (include domains!).

                                              -Bryan

                                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                            • Benjamin Pew
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Apr 3, 2002
                                                I vaguely remember the elementalist, although I never made one, so I never
                                                knew how it worked...

                                                That makes me think. It was just about a year ago that I first started using
                                                PCGen.

                                                So, I just put the appropriate descriptor in the specialists.lst file?

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Apr 3, 2002
                                                  Yup - whether its a school or descriptor that you're actually
                                                  selecting, PCGen just copies it into the same field on your character
                                                  class for comparison to the school/descriptor/subschool later as
                                                  required.

                                                • Keith Davies
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Apr 3, 2002
                                                    On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 03:49:27PM -0000, merton_monk wrote:
                                                    > How about using them as additional DESCRIPTORS: instead of as
                                                    > schools? There's a file (system\schools.lst) which lists what
                                                    > schools are available. You could add your schools, but I think it
                                                    > would be safer to do it via the DESCRIPTOR: tag. You can have any
                                                    > number of descriptors associated with a spell and the code already
                                                    > checks those tags to see if your specialist can consider that spell
                                                    > as one of their specialty spells.

                                                    The XML schema will support this.

                                                    Keith
                                                    --
                                                    Keith Davies
                                                    kjdavies@...

                                                    Evil High Priest: "Leave now, if you value your skins."
                                                    Garrick: "I'm all for it."