RE: [pcgen] Re: Madness domain

  • STILES, BRAD
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1, 2002

      That makes it a little easier.

      > Incidently, you're missing the part where it says:
      > "You gain an 'Insanity score' equal to __half__ your class level
      > (add cleric and prestige domain.. yadda.. yadda..."

      No I'm not. It may not have been in the message you replied to, but it's in
      one of 'em.

      > > Now, the other kicker is when we start calculating bonus spells,
      > > spell DCs, skills and saves. For bonus spells and DCs, we have
      > > to pretend that the Wisdom score, not the modifier, is the current
      > > Wisdom score plus this MadnessScore. The modifier of this new wisdom
      > > is used for those items. For skills and saves that use Wisdom as
      > > their attribute, we have to pretend that the Wisdom score is the
      > > current Wisdom *minus* the MadnessScore.
      > >

      > Covered that in another posting... easiest to subtract the insanity
      > modifier from Wisdom, and then add it twice for calculating DC and
      > spells per day.

      Hmmm, not being as familiar with the BONUS tag as I should be, how is even
      *that* going to be possible given the current structure? It's not a
      straight bonus, but rather one based on the character's modified wisdom
      score. The general process as I understand it is:

      Calculate "Insanity" score := (cleric levels + levels of prestige domain
      which chose madness domain) / 2

      Calculate Bonus Wisdom := Current Wisdom + Insanity score
      Calculate Penalty Wisdom := Current Wisdom - Insanity score

      For spell DCs and bonus spells use the wisdom bonus implied by the Bonus
      Wisdom

      For Skills and Will saves, along with everything else that uses the wisdom
      modifier, use the wisdom bonus implied by the Penalty Wisdom.

      Now whether the program actually follows these specific steps isn't
      relevant, but the last two need to be the end result of whatever it does do.

      As an example, a character with a 13 wisdom, 5 levels of cleric, and 5
      levels of a prestige class, and the madness domain. This character normally
      has a +1 ability bonus.

      The insanity score is 5 ( (5+5)/2 ).
      For bonus spells and spell DC, the Wisdom score is 18 (13 + 5), for modifier
      of +4.
      For skills, saves and all other checks, the Wisdom score is 8, for a
      modifier of -1

      That means that the BONUS tags need to do something like this:

      For DCs and bonus spells:
      (((CurrentWisdomScore + InsanityScore) / 2 ) - 5) -
      CurrentWisdomBonus

      For skills, and saves that use Wisdom:
      (((CurrentWisdomScore - InsanityScore) / 2 ) - 5) -
      CurrentWisdomBonus

      Brad