.lst VS .xsd ?

  • doyniakneecleaver
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 30, 2002
      I was wondering if you were planning on changing the format of
      your .lst (and for that matter) .pcc files over to a dtd or schema
      base at some point in the future?

      The reason being is that I've gotten a wild hair the past couple of
      days (actually I got tired of modding the .lst files with notepad)
      and am working on an app (in Delphi 5 using MSXML) to create/modify
      the .lst files with. I'm not even going to try to parse in the
      existing ones, but I plan on using schema (xsd - msxml 4.0) to define
      the structure of the individual .lst files and then save local .xml
      copies of the files created off of those schema for future editing,
      and (of course) to be able to export to the required format for PCGen.

      I didn't know if this was already in the works by the team and if so
      is there a particular format for the .lst definition (DTD, XDR, XSD)
      that you plan to follow, or something else entirely?
    • merton_monk
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 30, 2002
        We do plan on moving to xml, in fact there's a pcgen-xml (
        groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen-xml ) yahoo group focused on this very
        topic that would probably interest you. There's no dtd file and I'm
        not entirely certain if we'll go that route. I've been focused on
        the GUI revamp and plan on getting more involved on the xml side when
        my plate's a bit clearer.

        -Bryan

        --- In pcgen@y..., "doyniakneecleaver" <Doynia@k...> wrote:
        > I was wondering if you were planning on changing the format of
        > your .lst (and for that matter) .pcc files over to a dtd or schema
        > base at some point in the future?
        >
        > The reason being is that I've gotten a wild hair the past couple of
        > days (actually I got tired of modding the .lst files with notepad)
        > and am working on an app (in Delphi 5 using MSXML) to create/modify
        > the .lst files with. I'm not even going to try to parse in the
        > existing ones, but I plan on using schema (xsd - msxml 4.0) to
        define
        > the structure of the individual .lst files and then save local .xml
        > copies of the files created off of those schema for future editing,
        > and (of course) to be able to export to the required format for
        PCGen.

        > I didn't know if this was already in the works by the team and if
        so
        > is there a particular format for the .lst definition (DTD, XDR,
        XSD)
        > that you plan to follow, or something else entirely?
      • Keith Davies
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1 9:28 PM
          On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 02:21:16AM -0000, doyniakneecleaver wrote:
          > I was wondering if you were planning on changing the format of
          > your .lst (and for that matter) .pcc files over to a dtd or schema
          > base at some point in the future?
          >
          > The reason being is that I've gotten a wild hair the past couple of
          > days (actually I got tired of modding the .lst files with notepad)
          > and am working on an app (in Delphi 5 using MSXML) to create/modify
          > the .lst files with. I'm not even going to try to parse in the
          > existing ones, but I plan on using schema (xsd - msxml 4.0) to define
          > the structure of the individual .lst files and then save local .xml
          > copies of the files created off of those schema for future editing,
          > and (of course) to be able to export to the required format for PCGen.
          >
          > I didn't know if this was already in the works by the team and if so
          > is there a particular format for the .lst definition (DTD, XDR, XSD)
          > that you plan to follow, or something else entirely?

          to manage this project, and have posted some sample XML I've done up. I
          haven't had much time to work on it in the last few weeks -- I just
          bought a house and have been working on improving the house and yard
          recently (planted half a dozen fruit trees this weekend, for instance).
          I would like to think I'll be able to get back to it this week, though.

          Keith
          --
          Keith Davies
          kjdavies@...

          Evil High Priest: "Leave now, if you value your skins."
          Garrick: "I'm all for it."
        • doyniakneecleaver
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2 5:35 AM
            xml)
            > to manage this project, and have posted some sample XML I've done
            up. I
            > haven't had much time to work on it in the last few weeks -- I just
            > bought a house and have been working on improving the house and yard
            > recently (planted half a dozen fruit trees this weekend, for
            instance).
            > I would like to think I'll be able to get back to it this week,
            though.

            > Keith
            > --
            > Keith Davies
            > kjdavies@t...

            Fruit trees, mmmmmmmmmmm! I've got a killer plum tree in my back
            yard, though I can't take the credit for it as I just bought my house
            recently too ;) heh! I've been watching the boards there, just
            haven't posted yet as I don't have anything extremely constructive to
            post yet. Worked some this weekend on looking at different possible
            XSD layouts to define the various .lst files... Anyhoo I'll pe
            posting over there soon.
          • Keith Davies
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 2 8:39 AM
              On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 01:35:44PM -0000, doyniakneecleaver wrote:

              > > xml)
              > > to manage this project, and have posted some sample XML I've done
              > > up. I
              > > haven't had much time to work on it in the last few weeks -- I just
              > > bought a house and have been working on improving the house and yard
              > > recently (planted half a dozen fruit trees this weekend, for
              > > instance).
              > > I would like to think I'll be able to get back to it this week,
              > > though.
              >

              > Fruit trees, mmmmmmmmmmm! I've got a killer plum tree in my back
              > yard, though I can't take the credit for it as I just bought my house
              > recently too ;) heh! I've been watching the boards there, just
              > haven't posted yet as I don't have anything extremely constructive to
              > post yet. Worked some this weekend on looking at different possible
              > XSD layouts to define the various .lst files... Anyhoo I'll pe
              > posting over there soon.

              Already had two apple trees and two cherry, and I just put in two more
              apple, two asian plums, and two pear. I wasn't able to find the pears
              my wife wanted (20th century -- asian pears) but I'll get Bernie to
              hold on to a couple of them next year. I considered a couple of cherry
              instead of the apple, but the two that are there produced some 8-10
              pounds last year... which is more than 7-9 pounds more than I need to
              eat <g>

              It'll look really good as the trees mature. They run down about five
              feet away from the creek/runoff that runs near the fenceline. I've got
              room for some more -- lots more, if I want to carpet the whole area with
              trees... kind of tempting, actually, having my own orchard -- but I'll
              leave it at this for this year. It's *expensive* bloody fruit, though,
              between the cost of the trees (trivial) and the deer fences I had to put
              up around them (more expensive, about 1.5 times as expensive as the
              trees).

              Keith