Madness domain

  • STILES, BRAD
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 29, 2002
      The Madness domain, from Defenders of the Faith, has the following
      description in the deffaithdomains.lst file:

      "Gain Insanity Score equal to half your class level (cleric + prestige). For
      spellcasting (bonus spells and DC), add this score to your wisdom score and
      use the result in place of Wisdom alone. For all other purposes, such as
      skill checks and saving throws, subtract this score from your Wisdom score
      and use the result in place of Wisdom alone."

      Since there are no bonuses or anything defined there, are there still code
      changes that need to be made, or is it just because no one has had the time?

      If the latter, I have some questions.

      Is there a way to find the total number of levels for a group of classes.
      From the customize document, I see that I can do something like this:

      DEFINE:MadnessScore|(CL=Cleric)/2

      But is there any way to do something like:

      DEFINE:MadnessScore|(CL=Cleric+CL=TYPE.Madness)/2

      Will DEFINE and CL work in the domains.lst file?

      Thanks,
      Brad
    • STILES, BRAD
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 29, 2002

        Actually, it looks like what's needed is a way to get the number of levels
        of cleric plus the number of levels of the prestige class that chose the
        Madness domain. Any way of doing that? I guess there would have to be a
        way to record that information, and IIRC, that information currently isn't
        saved, is it?

        Brad
      • merton_monk
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 29, 2002
          Actually, that information is recoreded as BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|1 but
          that's only used in spell information right now. We'd need a new
          defined variable which would return these 'bonus' levels, that way
          you could use something like CL=Cleric+CL=Cleric.Bonus or something
          like that... does that sound like a good idea? That would take
          about 4 lines of code. That's assuming that the madness prestige
          class adds levels to the Cleric... after re-reading your comments,
          it's not clear that's what's happening. If you create a character
          like this and save it, do you see any BONUS:PCLEVEL tags in the pcg
          file near the bottom?

          -Bryan

          --- In pcgen@y..., "STILES, BRAD" <BRAD.STILES@s...> wrote:
> [...]
        • STILES, BRAD
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 29, 2002

            Madness isn't a class, it's a domain. What I'm not clear on is what
            restrictions apply, such as classes or spellcaster types. The character in
            my group that has it took the Contemplative class, which confers an extra
            domain, for which he chose the Madness domain. I'm not sure if it can only
            be taken by prestige classes, or if a "straight" cleric can take it as well.
            And do all divine spellcasting classes stack with regards to the Madness
            score, or is it only the straight cleric levels along with the levels of the
            class that actually took the domain? In any case, I don't think there's any
            way around having to record the class that actually chose the domain, and
            then being able to use that name in a CL=x part of a formula.

            > If you create a character like this and save it, do you see any
            BONUS:PCLEVEL
            > tags in the pcg file near the bottom?

            I'll check that out. Thanks.

            Brad
          • merton_monk
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 29, 2002
              Okay, it's a different ball of wax if a different class can choose a
              domain. The Domain does know what class it's tied to, so maybe on
              the Domain we could add BONUS:VAR|MADNESSLEVEL|DOMAINCLASSLEVEL
              we'd need to add 'DOMAINCLASSLEVEL' as a Domain file only variable
              that returns the level of the class to which the domain is tied.
              That way you could have CL=Cleric+MADNESSLEVEL as a usable formula in
              any file. Does that seem workable?

              -Bryan

            • STILES, BRAD
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 29, 2002

                To make that truly generic, wouldn't it be better to make a DOMAINCLASS
                variable, or pseudofunction, that simply returned the name of the class that
                selected the domain? That way, you could use it for *any* domain, and plug
                that variable into the "CL=" section of a formula, or does the CL thing not
                accept variables? This would provide a broader usefulness, I think, than
                providing just the level. An analogous DOMAINCLASSLEVEL(<domainname>) type
                of pseudofunction might make some things more readable.

                > That way you could have CL=Cleric+MADNESSLEVEL as a usable formula in
                > any file. Does that seem workable?

                As long as a straight cleric can't take the madness domain, yes. However,
                if a cleric *can* take the madness domain, then that would yield erroneous
                results. To solve that (using what I describe above), we'd need to do
                something like:

                DEFINE:MadnessScore|CL=DOMAINCLASS(MADNESS)+(IF.DOMAINCLASS(MADNESS).EQ.Cler
                ic.THEN.0.ELSE.CL=Cleric)

                (I don't know whether or not the above syntax is correct, particularly the
                "parameters" and parentheses, but it expresses what I want to do.)

                Now, the other kicker is when we start calculating bonus spells, spell DCs,
                skills and saves. For bonus spells and DCs, we have to pretend that the
                Wisdom score, not the modifier, is the current Wisdom score plus this
                MadnessScore. The modifier of this new wisdom is used for those items. For
                skills and saves that use Wisdom as their attribute, we have to pretend that
                the Wisdom score is the current Wisdom *minus* the MadnessScore.

                Make sense, or have I muddled things up even more?

                Brad
              • merton_monk
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 29, 2002
                  Right now there's no way to do a textual comparison. We could add
                  this is a special case... something like .IF.DOMAINCLASSNAME
                  (Madness=Cleric).EQ.1.THEN.CL=Cleric.ELSE.CL=Cleric+DOMAINCLASSLEVEL
                  (Madness)

                • koralis_arkhadian
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 29, 2002
                    Madness doesn't add phantom levels... it adds phantom Wisdom bonus
                    of (Clericlevel+domainlevel)/2 for purposes of calculating spells
                    per day and save DC. It also subtracts that phantom Wisdom bonus
                    for skill and stat checks, and basically all other uses of Wisdom.

                    Effectively you could do it like this...

                    insanity = (clericlevel+domainlevel)/2
                    Wisdom = Wisdom - insanity
                    DC = DC + 2*insanity
                    Spellsperday = TablelookupSpellsperday(Wisdom+2*insanity)

                    That way all wisdom skills, saves, etc are already taken care of and
                    you only have 2 special cases (spells per day and dc) to worry about.

                  • koralis_arkhadian
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 29, 2002
                      --- In pcgen@y..., "STILES, BRAD" <BRAD.STILES@s...> wrote:

                      Madness is a Prestige Domain. It can only be taken by a prestige
                      class (unless a GM is fudging the rules.)

                      Incidently, you're missing the part where it says:
                      "You gain an 'Insanity score' equal to __half__ your class level
                      (add cleric and prestige domain.. yadda.. yadda..."

                      > Now, the other kicker is when we start calculating bonus spells,
                      spell DCs,
                      > skills and saves. For bonus spells and DCs, we have to pretend
                      that the
                      > Wisdom score, not the modifier, is the current Wisdom score plus
                      this
                      > MadnessScore. The modifier of this new wisdom is used for those
                      items. For
                      > skills and saves that use Wisdom as their attribute, we have to
                      pretend that
                      > the Wisdom score is the current Wisdom *minus* the MadnessScore.
                      >
                      > Make sense, or have I muddled things up even more?
                      >
                      > Brad

                      Covered that in another posting... easiest to subtract the insanity
                      modifier from Wisdom, and then add it twice for calculating DC and
                      spells per day.
                    • koralis_arkhadian
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 29, 2002
                        --- In pcgen@y..., "koralis_arkhadian" <brentab@e...> wrote:
                        > Madness doesn't add phantom levels... it adds phantom Wisdom bonus
                        > of (Clericlevel+domainlevel)/2 for purposes of calculating spells
                        > per day and save DC. It also subtracts that phantom Wisdom bonus
                        > for skill and stat checks, and basically all other uses of Wisdom.
                        >

                        > Effectively you could do it like this...
                        >
                        > insanity = (clericlevel+domainlevel)/2
                        > Wisdom = Wisdom - insanity
                        > DC = DC + 2*insanity
                        > Spellsperday = TablelookupSpellsperday(Wisdom+2*insanity)

                        Oops... not quite. I added the whole wisdom ajustment to DC, not
                        just the wisdom BONUS to DC. :)

                        insanity_bonus = insanity/2
                        DC = DC + 2*insanity_bonus
                        DC = DC + 2*insanity/2
                        DC = DC + insanity (?)

                        Whatever... that's the basic gist anyway. ;)
                      • merton_monk
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 30, 2002
                          Could you submit a feature request at sourceforge for this? Your
                          synopsis is very good, so I'd like it to get put in our list. Thanks!

                          -Bryan

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 31, 2002
                            Done

                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 1 4:39 AM

                              That makes it a little easier.

                              > Incidently, you're missing the part where it says:
                              > "You gain an 'Insanity score' equal to __half__ your class level
                              > (add cleric and prestige domain.. yadda.. yadda..."

                              No I'm not. It may not have been in the message you replied to, but it's in
                              one of 'em.

                              > > Now, the other kicker is when we start calculating bonus spells,
                              > > spell DCs, skills and saves. For bonus spells and DCs, we have
                              > > to pretend that the Wisdom score, not the modifier, is the current
                              > > Wisdom score plus this MadnessScore. The modifier of this new wisdom
                              > > is used for those items. For skills and saves that use Wisdom as
                              > > their attribute, we have to pretend that the Wisdom score is the
                              > > current Wisdom *minus* the MadnessScore.
                              > >

                              > Covered that in another posting... easiest to subtract the insanity
                              > modifier from Wisdom, and then add it twice for calculating DC and
                              > spells per day.

                              Hmmm, not being as familiar with the BONUS tag as I should be, how is even
                              *that* going to be possible given the current structure? It's not a
                              straight bonus, but rather one based on the character's modified wisdom
                              score. The general process as I understand it is:

                              Calculate "Insanity" score := (cleric levels + levels of prestige domain
                              which chose madness domain) / 2

                              Calculate Bonus Wisdom := Current Wisdom + Insanity score
                              Calculate Penalty Wisdom := Current Wisdom - Insanity score

                              For spell DCs and bonus spells use the wisdom bonus implied by the Bonus
                              Wisdom

                              For Skills and Will saves, along with everything else that uses the wisdom
                              modifier, use the wisdom bonus implied by the Penalty Wisdom.

                              Now whether the program actually follows these specific steps isn't
                              relevant, but the last two need to be the end result of whatever it does do.

                              As an example, a character with a 13 wisdom, 5 levels of cleric, and 5
                              levels of a prestige class, and the madness domain. This character normally
                              has a +1 ability bonus.

                              The insanity score is 5 ( (5+5)/2 ).
                              For bonus spells and spell DC, the Wisdom score is 18 (13 + 5), for modifier
                              of +4.
                              For skills, saves and all other checks, the Wisdom score is 8, for a
                              modifier of -1

                              That means that the BONUS tags need to do something like this:

                              For DCs and bonus spells:
                              (((CurrentWisdomScore + InsanityScore) / 2 ) - 5) -
                              CurrentWisdomBonus