Re: [pcgen] Re: internationalization

  • Keith Davies
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 4, 2002
      morobrany wrote on Sun Mar 3 23:28:45 2002:

      > > 'sides, it doesn't really make sense to go through the trouble of
      > > translating the information in the book, then the users using PCGen
      > > in German, then having to translate back to find/read the stuff in
      > > the book. If the book's in German, *then* it makes sense, but
      > > otherwise I don't see it.
      >
      > Sometimes you've got a group where there's one person who's bilingual
      > and several who aren't. An English-speaking German DM might like the
      > translations for his non-English speaking German players.

      That works fine until they need to go to the book for something... but
      if they don't need to (your example below) it makes sense.

      > There are some things that translate just fine without need for
      > referrence to the books. Price lists for mundane items, for example.

      I'm not saying "don't do it", I'm just saying that, given that most
      (almost all?) the printed material is in English, doing a double
      translation (once to get it into the list, then back again to find the
      one you want (or reading the English document)) seems... wasteful, I
      guess. If you have to use it in English anyway, why not keep it there?

      All IMO -- I'm all for supporting multiple languages -- I speak (some)
      German, my wife is Japanese, I've got Chinese, Korean, and Austrian
      friends. Personally, though, translating things wouldn't be high on
      the list of priorities.

      I will consider good ways to include multiple languages in the XML, but
      implementing them may wait..

      Keith
      --
      Keith Davies
      kjdavies@...

      Evil High Priest: "Leave now, if you value your skins."
      Logan: "I'm all for it."