Re: Eldritch Master Level 3 and 4 Bugs

  • davehudson6
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
      Thanks for answering. I don't know Java so I can't judge the code
      that was being discussed, but I understand the character class. To
      comment a little:
      1) True Spell, as currently implemented, gives the caster one extra
      Spell per Day of the level specified, but does NOT force the user to
      specify which spell it is (as it ought to). The spell should be
      chosen once and never changed. This is relatively minor.

      2) The phrase "Combined Levels" should probably appear in the list
      of Abilities on the character sheet.

      3) Spell Boost, as I read it, is a benefit mostly while you are 3rd,
      6th, and 9th level EM. It does not really give you anything extra
      once you advance a level or two higher in the underlying regular
      class.

      4) Spell Dilletante is probably going to be a royal bitch to code.
      You need to ask the user what character class he wants to use the
      spell list from, add that spell list to his normal spell list from
      which to select Spells Known, and then classify all spells thus
      selected as Arcane.

      5) There is absolutely no good reason why anyone other than a
      Sorceror or Bard would want to be an EM, except perhaps to cherry-
      pick first level, since it gives +2 WILL and Detect Magic as a spell-
      like ability.

      6) Why be an Eldritch Master? First off, I have no intention of
      reitirng at 20th level, and there will be source material for high
      level characters by then. So I don't see where you need to worry
      about a trade-off of Sorceror high-level spells for the EM
      abilities. Also, I love having Diplomacy and Intimidate as Class
      Skills, giving my high-Charisma character incredible strengths at
      talking her way out of trouble.
      However, I doubt I'll go higher than 6th level EM. EM4 gives Spell
      Dilletante, which is clearly nice. EM5 gives 2 4th level and 2 5th
      level Spells Known. EM6 gives a Metamagic Feat AND Spell Boost.
      After that, however, it's mostly crap. If you're going to modify the
      class, I'd suggest giving extra Spells Known of even higher level
      than 5th, so that a 10th level EM would perhaps get 1 or 2 extra 9th
      level Spells Known. Now THAT would be a motivation to max out your
      levels in the prestige class! It would also be encouragement to
      alternate EM levels with levels of the underlying class.

      By the way, the latter portion of this is actually my contribution
      to the discussion in pub58.ezboard.com (referenced below). I'd have
      put it there, but I wasn't sure how to register as a user there.

      --- In pcgen@y..., "dinthron" <dinthron@y...> wrote:
      > Ok,
      >
      > You know you can search messages. Wow, this goes back quite a
      ways!
      > Threads:
      >
      > Messages of note (especially 8196):
      > (crap, link broken, but some summary included)
      > different one:
      > http://pub58.ezboard.com/fokayyourturnfrm12.showMessage?
      topicID=916.to
      > pic
      >
      > And thanks for the new attention to this.
      >
      > --- In pcgen@y..., "davehudson6" <rjoyner6@c...> wrote:
      > > --- In pcgen@y..., "dinthron" <dinthron@y...> wrote:
      > > > /bamf
      > > >
      > > > Is that exactly correct for the 3rd level ability? I am the
      > > original
      > > > requester of that class, but I haven't played it in a while,
      nor
      > > did I
      > > > have more than 2 levels in it. Check my old posts regarding
      the
      > > > message of clarification from another message board. I know
      the
      > > > granting of the higher spell depends on current level, IE, if
      you
      > > take
      > > > it at the "wrong" time, you don't get any benefit.
      > > >
      > > > /bamf

      > ability
      > that
      > > granted

      Sorceror
      Master
      > > level
      > > >

      > > I have stated the case as accurately as I can, based on the
      original
      > > write-up in Dragon. Which part are you unsure of?
      > >
      > > Spell Boost always gives you the ability to throw one per day of
      > > single spell one level higher than your normal max, and so in
      that
      > > sense you always gain a benefit. Where you can fail to get
      maximum
      > > benefit is if, for example, you take Eldritch Master 3 at a time
      > when
      > > the highest-level spells you can throw are 2nd-level Sorceror
      > > spells. In that case, since EM3 already gives you 2 3rd-level
      > spells
      > > known, you do NOT get the benefit of getting a free 3rd-level
      spell
      > > known due to the Spell Boost. The weirdness comes from the fact
      > that,
      > > since Eldritch Master gives you extra Spells Known without
      > increasing
      > > your Spells per Day, it is possible to know spells that you
      cannot
      > > throw.
      > >
      > > I'd love to see your old posts, if you can give me an idea of
      the
      > > Post #. I'm very new here, and don't really want to go looking
      > > through 20000+ posts.
    • davehudson6
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
        Okay, I just tried to register as a user in pub58.ezboard.com (see
        below), but it would not take it. Whenever I pressed the final
        button to register my info, it took me to a "This page cannot be
        displayed" error page. I'd LIKE to join the discussion there.

      • davehudson6
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1, 2002
          Finally figured out how to register at Monte Cook's site
          (pub58.ezboard.com). I've added to the discussion there about
          Eldritch Masters. I'd love to see the discussion revived.