Diablo sockets & pcgen

  • kos_keep
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
      The game I am running is largeley based on the Diablo computer game,
      and naturally my players have asked if they can socket items. So my
      question is: Can I put a CONTAINS tag on a sword and have the
      properties of a magical rune or gem only be applied if it is placed
      in the said container and effect only that item?

      Since WotC has converted the Diablo setting to 3E, therefore making
      it d20 compatible, I think it's more than reasonable to ask that the
      code be ready for the next release. :)

      Or would it be better just to re-create the item after it is socketed
      or to just have the rune say something +1 to damage for weapon place
      in through SPROP:?

      Great job. One day the world will be shaped like a d20 and PCGEN
      will rule over it!

      If anyone is interested, I have converted almost all of the
      Diablo/Diablo2 armor and weapons to a 3E format and created the lst
      files. Warning: The armor with partialarmor can make for some
      astronomical ACs.

      kos_keep
      http://www.geocities.com/kos_keep
    • mark_hulsman
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
        > The game I am running is largeley based on the Diablo computer
        game,
        > and naturally my players have asked if they can socket items. So
        my
        > question is: Can I put a CONTAINS tag on a sword and have the
        > properties of a magical rune or gem only be applied if it is placed
        > in the said container and effect only that item?
        >
        > Since WotC has converted the Diablo setting to 3E, therefore making
        > it d20 compatible, I think it's more than reasonable to ask that
        the
        > code be ready for the next release. :)
        >
        > Or would it be better just to re-create the item after it is
        socketed
        > or to just have the rune say something +1 to damage for weapon
        place
        > in through SPROP:?

        I don't think that if you put items in the weapon as a comtainer they
        would have an effect on only that weapon. What I would do is make a
        file with various weapon mods for all the stuff you can put in the
        weapon and then they can build it with the customiser. You'd need to
        do a second file for armor since the same items have different
        properties in armor.
      • kos_keep
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
          --- In pcgen@y..., "mark_hulsman" <hulsmanm@p...> wrote:
          > > The game I am running is largeley based on the Diablo computer
          > game,
          > > and naturally my players have asked if they can socket items. So
          > my
          > > question is: Can I put a CONTAINS tag on a sword and have the
          > > properties of a magical rune or gem only be applied if it is
          placed
          > > in the said container and effect only that item?
          > >
          > > Since WotC has converted the Diablo setting to 3E, therefore
          making
          > > it d20 compatible, I think it's more than reasonable to ask that
          > the
          > > code be ready for the next release. :)
          > >
          > > Or would it be better just to re-create the item after it is
          > socketed
          > > or to just have the rune say something +1 to damage for weapon
          > place
          > > in through SPROP:?
          >
          > I don't think that if you put items in the weapon as a comtainer
          they
          > would have an effect on only that weapon. What I would do is make
          > file with various weapon mods for all the stuff you can put in the
          > weapon and then they can build it with the customiser. You'd need
          > do a second file for armor since the same items have different
          > properties in armor.

          DAMN! I've been so intent on lst files that I completely forgot
          about the customizer. Thanks!
        • mark_hulsman
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
            > DAMN! I've been so intent on lst files that I completely forgot
            > about the customizer. Thanks!

            Hehe, thats easy to do. The only problem with this method is that
            you can't limit the number of sockets an item has, but you can just
            make sure you use the correct number.
          • ortheri
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
              --- In pcgen@y..., "mark_hulsman" <hulsmanm@p...> wrote:
              > > DAMN! I've been so intent on lst files that I completely forgot
              > > about the customizer. Thanks!
              >
              > Hehe, thats easy to do. The only problem with this method is that
              > you can't limit the number of sockets an item has, but you can just
              > make sure you use the correct number.

              This kind of function should be considered, I'm sure it will come up
              eventually, that certain items can only be modified so far. For
              instance vehicle mods in the Series Archer game.

              Mario