RE: [pcgen] Re: internationalization

  • Tony Beeman
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1 1:51 PM
      Well, to be fair, many who can read English would still prefer being
      able to use the program in their own language, but at least it's usable
      to anyone with the books.

      For easy localization, we'd want to move all the GUI strings into their
      own file.

      A shiny nickel to anyone who implements Hebrew or another bidirectional
      language. :)

      Tony

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1 5:26 PM
        Tony Beeman wrote on Fri Mar 1 13:51:46 2002:

        > Well, to be fair, many who can read English would still prefer being
        > able to use the program in their own language, but at least it's usable
        > to anyone with the books.

        I was thinking of the comment about supporting the books more than the
        interface. I fully support internationalization in the GUI, and I've got
        no particular problem with it in the data. I'm just not going to put a
        lot of time into the data I18N right now because I've got more important
        (to me) things to do.

        'sides, it doesn't really make sense to go through the trouble of
        translating the information in the book, then the users using PCGen
        in German, then having to translate back to find/read the stuff in
        the book. If the book's in German, *then* it makes sense, but
        otherwise I don't see it.

        [note that I've got no problem with German -- I even speak a little,
        from when I was in university -- I just use it as an example].

        > For easy localization, we'd want to move all the GUI strings into their
        > own file.

        Create a resource for them, yep. No disagreement there.

        --
        Keith Davies
        kjdavies@...

        Evil High Priest: "Leave now, if you value your skins."
        Logan: "I'm all for it."
      • morobrany
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 3 11:28 PM

          > 'sides, it doesn't really make sense to go through the trouble of
          > translating the information in the book, then the users using PCGen
          > in German, then having to translate back to find/read the stuff in
          > the book. If the book's in German, *then* it makes sense, but
          > otherwise I don't see it.

          Sometimes you've got a group where there's one person who's bilingual
          and several who aren't. An English-speaking German DM might like the
          translations for his non-English speaking German players.

          There are some things that translate just fine without need for
          referrence to the books. Price lists for mundane items, for example.

          Kevin
        • Lonestar
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 3 11:54 PM
            >> 'sides, it doesn't really make sense to go through the trouble of
            >> translating the information in the book, then the users using PCGen
            >> in German, then having to translate back to find/read the stuff in
            >> the book. If the book's in German, *then* it makes sense, but
            >> otherwise I don't see it.

            m> Sometimes you've got a group where there's one person who's bilingual
            m> and several who aren't. An English-speaking German DM might like the
            m> translations for his non-English speaking German players.

            m> There are some things that translate just fine without need for
            m> referrence to the books. Price lists for mundane items, for example.

            A friend of mine has the German PHB. Some of the translations seem
            rather funny to me. I mean I would never have translated some things
            in the way WotC did, so it might not be a good idea to translate the
            other books, because as soon as they're officially released by Amigo
            (the German distributor) there will be a lot of confusion.
            And as far as entering the already released German PHB, I don't think
            that really makes sense, at least not before all the core rules are
            released. I mean using the German PHB with the English DMG in PCGen
            will utterly fail...

            Best regards,
            Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@...
          • Keith Davies
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 4 9:08 AM
              morobrany wrote on Sun Mar 3 23:28:45 2002:

              > > 'sides, it doesn't really make sense to go through the trouble of
              > > translating the information in the book, then the users using PCGen
              > > in German, then having to translate back to find/read the stuff in
              > > the book. If the book's in German, *then* it makes sense, but
              > > otherwise I don't see it.
              >
              > Sometimes you've got a group where there's one person who's bilingual
              > and several who aren't. An English-speaking German DM might like the
              > translations for his non-English speaking German players.

              That works fine until they need to go to the book for something... but
              if they don't need to (your example below) it makes sense.

              > There are some things that translate just fine without need for
              > referrence to the books. Price lists for mundane items, for example.

              I'm not saying "don't do it", I'm just saying that, given that most
              (almost all?) the printed material is in English, doing a double
              translation (once to get it into the list, then back again to find the
              one you want (or reading the English document)) seems... wasteful, I
              guess. If you have to use it in English anyway, why not keep it there?

              All IMO -- I'm all for supporting multiple languages -- I speak (some)
              German, my wife is Japanese, I've got Chinese, Korean, and Austrian
              friends. Personally, though, translating things wouldn't be high on
              the list of priorities.

              I will consider good ways to include multiple languages in the XML, but
              implementing them may wait..

              Keith