Upgrade Questions

  • xendaths
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2002
      What exactly do I need to do to upgrade an installation of PCGen?

      Can I just dump the new files on top of the old?

      Should I back up certain directories, delete the old install and
      extract the new, copying the directories back?

      Also, when will the documentation be updated?

      Is there a feature request list somewhere? This list generates so
      much mail that I don't normally receive emails, but if this is the
      sole venue, I may change that.

      Thank you
      Douglas
    • merton_monk
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2002
        --- In pcgen@y..., "xendaths" <nexist@h...> wrote:
        > What exactly do I need to do to upgrade an installation of PCGen?
        Down load the new zip files and unzip them.

        > Can I just dump the new files on top of the old?
        You can - though I would recommend creating a new directory each time
        and unzipping everything there. Just copy your old character (pcg)
        files... you can always unzip right over top of your old files, but
        occasionally things break (we release fixes asap after that happens).

        > Should I back up certain directories, delete the old install and
        > extract the new, copying the directories back?

        If you create your own custom data files, definitely back those up.
        Assuming you've placed them in a new directory, PCGen will never
        overwrite that directory so you don't need to worry about it
        overwriting them when you install a new version.

        > Also, when will the documentation be updated?

        The major hold up on the user manual has been the completion of the
        GUI revamp. That will be done in a couple of weeks, so the
        usermanual update should be soon after that. The Customise
        documentation (data file syntax) is usually kept fairly up-to-date.

        > Is there a feature request list somewhere? This list generates so
        > much mail that I don't normally receive emails, but if this is the
        > sole venue, I may change that.

        Yeah - at pcgen.sourceforge.net you'll see a link to "Bug/Feature
        Requests". That will take you to a page where all the Bugs and
        Features are listed.

        I hope this helps!

        -Bryan