Untrained Skills showing with no ranks!?-bug?

  • dfofanoff
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28, 2002
      Hello-

      I have 2.4.7 and am testing some custom .lst files for the Troll Lord
      Games campaign setting I'm working on.

      All my .lst files appear (at least visably) to be formatted correctly
      and everything seems to be working fine except for a wierd quirk
      where every skill shows on my character sheet list, even if they are
      untrained skills with no ranks. The points are correct, it's just the
      visibility issue. What it looks like is that just because my
      character has a +1 modifier for Intelligence, I automatically get
      bonuses for every Craft like I've put points into the ranks.

      Any clues or suggestions?
      Thanks
    • merton_monk
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
        On your Skills tab, what do you have your "Include Skills" setting
        to? That defines what skills will be included on your
        charactersheet.
        That soon will change so that only the skills in the "Selected" table
        on the skills tab will be the ones that show up...

        -Bryan

        --- In pcgen@y..., "dfofanoff" <cygnusx1@s...> wrote:
        > Hello-
        >
        > I have 2.4.7 and am testing some custom .lst files for the Troll
        Lord
        > Games campaign setting I'm working on.
        >
        > All my .lst files appear (at least visably) to be formatted
        correctly
        > and everything seems to be working fine except for a wierd quirk
        > where every skill shows on my character sheet list, even if they
        are
        > untrained skills with no ranks. The points are correct, it's just
        the
        > visibility issue. What it looks like is that just because my
        > character has a +1 modifier for Intelligence, I automatically get
        > bonuses for every Craft like I've put points into the ranks.
        >
        > Any clues or suggestions?
        > Thanks
      • learyth
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
          Bryan how is this going to work? I really like the untrained option
          as it is now.
          Leigh aka learyth

          > On your Skills tab, what do you have your "Include Skills" setting
          > to? That defines what skills will be included on your
          > charactersheet.
          > That soon will change so that only the skills in the "Selected"
          table
          > on the skills tab will be the ones that show up...
          >
          > -Bryan
          >
          > --- In pcgen@y..., "dfofanoff" <cygnusx1@s...> wrote:
          > > Hello-
          > >
          > > I have 2.4.7 and am testing some custom .lst files for the Troll
          > Lord
          > > Games campaign setting I'm working on.
          > >
          > > All my .lst files appear (at least visably) to be formatted
          > correctly
          > > and everything seems to be working fine except for a wierd quirk
          > > where every skill shows on my character sheet list, even if they
          > are
          > > untrained skills with no ranks. The points are correct, it's just
          > the
          > > visibility issue. What it looks like is that just because my
          > > character has a +1 modifier for Intelligence, I automatically get
          > > bonuses for every Craft like I've put points into the ranks.
          > >
          > > Any clues or suggestions?
          > > Thanks
        • merton_monk
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
            The way it's going to work is that only the skills you've added to
            the Selected table will show up. That way there's no sleight-of-hand
            involved which has really confused a lot of people. You bring up a
            good point, though... maybe a "Add all untrained" option in the right-
            click menu so you can add them all without having to select them
            individually?

            -Bryan

            --- In pcgen@y..., "learyth" <learyth@y...> wrote:
            > Bryan how is this going to work? I really like the untrained option
            > as it is now.
            > Leigh aka learyth
            >
            > --- In pcgen@y..., "merton_monk" <merton_monk@y...> wrote:
            > > On your Skills tab, what do you have your "Include Skills"
            setting
            > > to? That defines what skills will be included on your
            > > charactersheet.
            > > That soon will change so that only the skills in the "Selected"
            > table
            > > on the skills tab will be the ones that show up...
            > >
            > > -Bryan
            > >
            > > --- In pcgen@y..., "dfofanoff" <cygnusx1@s...> wrote:
            > > > Hello-
            > > >
            > > > I have 2.4.7 and am testing some custom .lst files for the
            Troll
            > > Lord
            > > > Games campaign setting I'm working on.
            > > >
            > > > All my .lst files appear (at least visably) to be formatted
            > > correctly
            > > > and everything seems to be working fine except for a wierd
            quirk
            > > > where every skill shows on my character sheet list, even if
            they
            > > are
            > > > untrained skills with no ranks. The points are correct, it's
            just
            > > the
            > > > visibility issue. What it looks like is that just because my
            > > > character has a +1 modifier for Intelligence, I automatically
            get
            > > > bonuses for every Craft like I've put points into the ranks.
            > > >
            > > > Any clues or suggestions?
            > > > Thanks
          • learyth
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
              Sounds good to me. I know the current menu for it seems a little
              arcane to new users and hopefully this will clear that up. An "add
              all untrained" seems like a good idea. Thanks for looking into this.
              Leigh aka learyth

            • Brass Tilde
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002

                The selector will allow one to select more than one item and *then* press
                the selection option, right? Similar to the Shift-Click and Ctrl-Click
                functionality in Windows?

                Brass

              • morobrany
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
                  That would be good, though it would also be nice to have options to
                  sort the fantasy from the sci-fi. Having an odd but reasonable
                  fantasy skill added to a DnD sheet makes sense, but not "Fly
                  Podracer" or whatever thing bumps over from Star Wars.

                  Actually, SF/Fantasy options on the main load screen would be
                  useful. I like for my DnD character to have access to Deadlands and
                  Wheel of Time because there's a lot of equipment that works just as
                  well in the middle ages and plugs some of the gaps in the DnD lists,
                  but it's not necessary to have all the sci-fi equipment.

                  Kevin

                  > The way it's going to work is that only the skills you've added to
                  > the Selected table will show up. That way there's no sleight-of-
                  hand
                  > involved which has really confused a lot of people. You bring up a
                  > good point, though... maybe a "Add all untrained" option in the
                  right-
                  > click menu so you can add them all without having to select them
                  > individually?
                  >
                  > -Bryan
                • dfofanoff
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
                    Thanks Merton-

                    I had the "Include Skills" set to "ALL". Once I changed it to "NONE"
                    everything is running very smooth now.

                    OK...back to data entry....gotta get those additional spells in!

                    David

                    --- In pcgen@y..., "morobrany" <kevin-a-murphy@d...> wrote:
                    > That would be good, though it would also be nice to have options to
                    > sort the fantasy from the sci-fi. Having an odd but reasonable
                    > fantasy skill added to a DnD sheet makes sense, but not "Fly
                    > Podracer" or whatever thing bumps over from Star Wars.
                    >
                    > Actually, SF/Fantasy options on the main load screen would be
                    > useful. I like for my DnD character to have access to Deadlands
                    and
                    > Wheel of Time because there's a lot of equipment that works just as
                    > well in the middle ages and plugs some of the gaps in the DnD
                    lists,
                    > but it's not necessary to have all the sci-fi equipment.
                    >
                    > Kevin
                    >
                    > --- In pcgen@y..., "merton_monk" <merton_monk@y...> wrote:
                    > > The way it's going to work is that only the skills you've added
                    > > the Selected table will show up. That way there's no sleight-of-
                    > hand
                    > > involved which has really confused a lot of people. You bring up
                    > > good point, though... maybe a "Add all untrained" option in the
                    > right-
                    > > click menu so you can add them all without having to select them
                    > > individually?
                    > >
                    > > -Bryan
                  • emperorfranz
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
                      <hint><nudge>
                      So, will my FREQ 520366 be addressed in this re-write? It deals with
                      including untrained Force skills for Star Wars.
                      </nudge></hint>

                      :)

                      Thanks,
                      Hugo