internationalization

  • ortheri
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 28, 2002
      I have started seperating all the text from the code. If anyone
      speaks any other languages if you could look at the properities(yes I
      know its spelled wrong, my goof and it can't be changed) folder and
      translate any of the properties files there and send them to me. I
      would like to test what I have done somemore. At the moment it can
      only read in one resource file, I need to add the code for it to fully
      support another lang file.

      Soon PCGen will be in multiple languages. Can MT do that. ;)

      Thanks
      Mario
    • emperorfranz
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 28, 2002
        What about list file translations?
        If only we had the Universal Translator Doohickie(tm pending) from
        Star Trek(tm). ;p

        Later,
        Hugo

        --- In pcgen@y..., "ortheri" <zebuleon@p...> wrote:
        > I have started seperating all the text from the code. If anyone
        > speaks any other languages if you could look at the properities(yes
        > know its spelled wrong, my goof and it can't be changed) folder and
        > translate any of the properties files there and send them to me. I
        > would like to test what I have done somemore. At the moment it can
        > only read in one resource file, I need to add the code for it to
        fully
        > support another lang file.
        >
        > Soon PCGen will be in multiple languages. Can MT do that. ;)
        >
        > Thanks
        > Mario
      • zodar6
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 28, 2002
          --- In pcgen@y..., "emperorfranz" <emperorfranz@y...> wrote:
          > What about list file translations?
          > If only we had the Universal Translator Doohickie(tm pending) from
          > Star Trek(tm). ;p
          >
          > Later,
          > Hugo

          List file translations will have to wait, as not all products are
          available in multiple languages.(Especially WotC!)

          > --- In pcgen@y..., "ortheri" <zebuleon@p...> wrote:
          > > I have started seperating all the text from the code. If anyone
          > > speaks any other languages if you could look at the properities
          (yes
          > > know its spelled wrong, my goof and it can't be changed) folder
          and
          > > translate any of the properties files there and send them to me.
          > > would like to test what I have done somemore. At the moment it
          can
          > > only read in one resource file, I need to add the code for it to
          > fully
          > > support another lang file.
          > >
          > > Soon PCGen will be in multiple languages. Can MT do that. ;)
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > > Mario

          Where do we find the properties? I'd like to try translation to
          German.

          Mike Sledge

          - List Howler Monkey
        • Eric Beaudoin
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 28, 2002
            At 00:43 2002.03.01, you wrote:
            >--- In pcgen@y..., "emperorfranz" <emperorfranz@y...> wrote:
            >> What about list file translations?
            >> If only we had the Universal Translator Doohickie(tm pending) from
            >> Star Trek(tm). ;p
            >>
            >> Later,
            >> Hugo
            >
            >List file translations will have to wait, as not all products are
            >available in multiple languages.(Especially WotC!)
            >

            >> --- In pcgen@y..., "ortheri" <zebuleon@p...> wrote:
            >> > I have started seperating all the text from the code. If anyone
            >> > speaks any other languages if you could look at the properities
            >(yes
            >> > know its spelled wrong, my goof and it can't be changed) folder
            >and
            >> > translate any of the properties files there and send them to me.
            >> > would like to test what I have done somemore. At the moment it
            >can
            >> > only read in one resource file, I need to add the code for it to
            >> fully
            >> > support another lang file.
            >> >
            >> > Soon PCGen will be in multiple languages. Can MT do that. ;)
            >> >
            >> > Thanks
            >> > Mario
            >
            >Where do we find the properties? I'd like to try translation to
            >German.
            >
            >Mike Sledge
            >
            >- List Howler Monkey

            The nice ppl of the XML project should keep Internationalization in mind while designing the schema for the data. Description type of tags should come equipted with a language tag. I wonder what the W3org suggest for this?

            √Čric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
            >> In space, no one can hear you sleep...
            <mailto:beaudoer@...>
          • Mynex
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 28, 2002

              Now that would be funny and probably seriously piss of publishers
              *cough*WotC*cough* if _WE_ translated into languages they haven't yet.
              ;D

              For some reason that type of 'Evil' appeals to me. :p

              Mynex

              - #1 Evil assistant to the PCGen Code Monkeys (Code Badgerer)
              - PCGen Document & List File Silverback
              - RPG Gateway - Software Section Editor
              - RPG Reviews - d20 section Editor/Reviewer
            • zodar6
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 28, 2002
                > Where do we find the properties? I'd like to try translation to
                > > German.
                > >
                > > Mike Sledge
                > >
                > > - List Howler Monkey
                >
                > Now that would be funny and probably seriously piss of publishers
                > *cough*WotC*cough* if _WE_ translated into languages they haven't
                yet.
                > ;D

                Problem with that is legal issues. WotC products are licensed to
                publishers here in Germany (actually only one; and I don't even know
                if they still have the license :)), meaning that all translations
                into German will mean legal action against the transgressor (But it's
                okay to use already translated material - which means the PHB here in
                Germany).
                But it might be possible, if we made a statement that all
                translations are not official and will be changed as soon as an
                official translation is available.

                > For some reason that type of 'Evil' appeals to me. :p

                Same here :) I've been thinking about translating some stuff myself,
                but have always disliked the licensee here in Germany so much, that I
                would never consider submitting my work to them :P

                Mike Sledge

                - List Howler Monkey
              • ortheri
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 28, 2002

                  > Where do we find the properties? I'd like to try translation to
                  > German.
                  >
                  > Mike Sledge
                  >
                  > - List Howler Monkey

                  At the moment there are only 3 files, Domain and Description Tab and
                  the ToolBar. Bryan kind of wants one file instead of multiples, so I
                  was going to combine them in to one. It means that there would only
                  need to be one referrence to some things, like Class or Armor Class.

                  The files are in pcgen/gui/properities folder at sourceforge. In case
                  you or anyone else doesn't know, they are simple text files, all you'd
                  need to change is the items after the = sign. then save them with the
                  original name + de_DE for german. So it would look like

                  DescriptionTabBundle_de_DE.properties

                  Once I'm settled after this weekend I will do more on this. And the
                  locales should be supported then.

                  Mario
                • zodar6
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 28, 2002
                    --- In pcgen@y..., "ortheri" <zebuleon@p...> wrote:
                    > At the moment there are only 3 files, Domain and Description Tab and
                    > the ToolBar. Bryan kind of wants one file instead of multiples, so
                    > was going to combine them in to one. It means that there would only
                    > need to be one referrence to some things, like Class or Armor
                    Class.

                    > The files are in pcgen/gui/properities folder at sourceforge.

                    Could you please give a link? I can't seem to find this folder
                    anywhere at sourceforge (maybe I'm just blind, though :))

                    Mike Sledge

                    - List Howler Monkey
                  • ortheri
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
                      Here you go

                      http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/pcgen/src/java/pcgen/gui/properities/

                      Mario

                      --- In pcgen@y..., "zodar6" <zodar6@l...> wrote:
                      > --- In pcgen@y..., "ortheri" <zebuleon@p...> wrote:
                      > > At the moment there are only 3 files, Domain and Description Tab and
                      > > the ToolBar. Bryan kind of wants one file instead of multiples, so
                      > > was going to combine them in to one. It means that there would only
                      > > need to be one referrence to some things, like Class or Armor
                      > Class.
                      > >
                      > > The files are in pcgen/gui/properities folder at sourceforge.
                      >
                      > Could you please give a link? I can't seem to find this folder
                      > anywhere at sourceforge (maybe I'm just blind, though :))
                      >
                      > Mike Sledge
                      >
                      > - List Howler Monkey
                    • Keith Davies
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
                        Mynex wrote on Thu Feb 28 21:52:30 2002:

                        > Now that would be funny and probably seriously piss of publishers
                        > *cough*WotC*cough* if _WE_ translated into languages they haven't yet.
                        > ;D

                        but, since anyone who wants to use the program really needs the books
                        in order to use the data in the program (because it's deliberately so
                        incomplete), having it in another language doesn't necessarily gain
                        anything unless the book is also released in the language, no?

                        Much (most?) of the information used by PCGen is numeric anyway.
                        Would we be translating the document text to match? Or just entering
                        the language stuff when it's available?

                        I plan for I18N in the XML, but it's not very high on my list... I've
                        got to get <spell> working first. :)

                        Keith
                        --
                        Keith Davies
                        kjdavies@...

                        Logan: "I don't think it's a good idea."
                        Raven: "The vote is three to one against you -- me, the crystal ball,
                        and the little voices in your head."
                      • Tony Beeman
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
                          Well, to be fair, many who can read English would still prefer being
                          able to use the program in their own language, but at least it's usable
                          to anyone with the books.

                          For easy localization, we'd want to move all the GUI strings into their
                          own file.

                          A shiny nickel to anyone who implements Hebrew or another bidirectional
                          language. :)

                          Tony

                          Mynex wrote on Thu Feb 28 21:52:30 2002:

                          > Now that would be funny and probably seriously piss of publishers
                          > *cough*WotC*cough* if _WE_ translated into languages they haven't yet.
                          > ;D

                          but, since anyone who wants to use the program really needs the books
                          in order to use the data in the program (because it's deliberately so
                          incomplete), having it in another language doesn't necessarily gain
                          anything unless the book is also released in the language, no?

                          Much (most?) of the information used by PCGen is numeric anyway.
                          Would we be translating the document text to match? Or just entering
                          the language stuff when it's available?

                          I plan for I18N in the XML, but it's not very high on my list... I've
                          got to get <spell> working first. :)

                          Keith
                          --
                          Keith Davies
                          kjdavies@...

                          Logan: "I don't think it's a good idea."
                          Raven: "The vote is three to one against you -- me, the crystal ball,
                          and the little voices in your head."

                          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                        • Keith Davies
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
                            Tony Beeman wrote on Fri Mar 1 13:51:46 2002:

                            > Well, to be fair, many who can read English would still prefer being
                            > able to use the program in their own language, but at least it's usable
                            > to anyone with the books.

                            I was thinking of the comment about supporting the books more than the
                            interface. I fully support internationalization in the GUI, and I've got
                            no particular problem with it in the data. I'm just not going to put a
                            lot of time into the data I18N right now because I've got more important
                            (to me) things to do.

                            'sides, it doesn't really make sense to go through the trouble of
                            translating the information in the book, then the users using PCGen
                            in German, then having to translate back to find/read the stuff in
                            the book. If the book's in German, *then* it makes sense, but
                            otherwise I don't see it.

                            [note that I've got no problem with German -- I even speak a little,
                            from when I was in university -- I just use it as an example].

                            > For easy localization, we'd want to move all the GUI strings into their
                            > own file.

                            Create a resource for them, yep. No disagreement there.

                            --
                            Keith Davies
                            kjdavies@...

                            Evil High Priest: "Leave now, if you value your skins."
                            Logan: "I'm all for it."
                          • morobrany
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 3, 2002

                              > 'sides, it doesn't really make sense to go through the trouble of
                              > translating the information in the book, then the users using PCGen
                              > in German, then having to translate back to find/read the stuff in
                              > the book. If the book's in German, *then* it makes sense, but
                              > otherwise I don't see it.

                              Sometimes you've got a group where there's one person who's bilingual
                              and several who aren't. An English-speaking German DM might like the
                              translations for his non-English speaking German players.

                              There are some things that translate just fine without need for
                              referrence to the books. Price lists for mundane items, for example.

                              Kevin
                            • Lonestar
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 3, 2002
                                >> 'sides, it doesn't really make sense to go through the trouble of
                                >> translating the information in the book, then the users using PCGen
                                >> in German, then having to translate back to find/read the stuff in
                                >> the book. If the book's in German, *then* it makes sense, but
                                >> otherwise I don't see it.

                                m> Sometimes you've got a group where there's one person who's bilingual
                                m> and several who aren't. An English-speaking German DM might like the
                                m> translations for his non-English speaking German players.

                                m> There are some things that translate just fine without need for
                                m> referrence to the books. Price lists for mundane items, for example.

                                A friend of mine has the German PHB. Some of the translations seem
                                rather funny to me. I mean I would never have translated some things
                                in the way WotC did, so it might not be a good idea to translate the
                                other books, because as soon as they're officially released by Amigo
                                (the German distributor) there will be a lot of confusion.
                                And as far as entering the already released German PHB, I don't think
                                that really makes sense, at least not before all the core rules are
                                released. I mean using the German PHB with the English DMG in PCGen
                                will utterly fail...

                                Best regards,
                                Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@...
                              • Keith Davies
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 4, 2002
                                  morobrany wrote on Sun Mar 3 23:28:45 2002:

                                  > > 'sides, it doesn't really make sense to go through the trouble of
                                  > > translating the information in the book, then the users using PCGen
                                  > > in German, then having to translate back to find/read the stuff in
                                  > > the book. If the book's in German, *then* it makes sense, but
                                  > > otherwise I don't see it.
                                  >
                                  > Sometimes you've got a group where there's one person who's bilingual
                                  > and several who aren't. An English-speaking German DM might like the
                                  > translations for his non-English speaking German players.

                                  That works fine until they need to go to the book for something... but
                                  if they don't need to (your example below) it makes sense.

                                  > There are some things that translate just fine without need for
                                  > referrence to the books. Price lists for mundane items, for example.

                                  I'm not saying "don't do it", I'm just saying that, given that most
                                  (almost all?) the printed material is in English, doing a double
                                  translation (once to get it into the list, then back again to find the
                                  one you want (or reading the English document)) seems... wasteful, I
                                  guess. If you have to use it in English anyway, why not keep it there?

                                  All IMO -- I'm all for supporting multiple languages -- I speak (some)
                                  German, my wife is Japanese, I've got Chinese, Korean, and Austrian
                                  friends. Personally, though, translating things wouldn't be high on
                                  the list of priorities.

                                  I will consider good ways to include multiple languages in the XML, but
                                  implementing them may wait..

                                  Keith