Re: [pcgen] ok i cant do it

  • David Cortijo
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 29, 2000
      OK, while I'm not a programmer, my guess is that your problem is skill
      duplication. Certain skills are used in both DnD and Star Wars (Diplomacy
      was just one I saw off the bat). You SHOULD be able to get the skill.lst
      file to work if it has JUST SW or DnD classes.skills in it. Try it out by
      making a new skill.lst with just the Star Wars skills - that should fix it.

      Dave
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 29, 2000
        it started with just the sw, modifyine the exsisting dnd that weere there with
        just the dnd ones, but didnt work. i added and with both any skill clicked on
        even old ones get that err. i am working on the combat tracker(ok telling a
        friend what i ould like) that can pull the pcg files. not that the combat tab
        isint good, id just also like to have monsters.

        =====
        Robert Hilson
        http://www.bepaid.com/users.rhtml?REFID=11428864

        http://photos.yahoo.com/
      • Bryan McRoberts
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 29, 2000
          Robert,
          I'll definitely have to take a look at this. It looks like the deity.lst
          file and
          skill.lst file problems are similar, but it's hard to say at the moment.
          I can't check my code until tuesday, but it should be pretty easy to
          see what's going on. I did notice that if I select the None deity and then
          use the arrow to go down your deity.lst file, all the deities look like
          they've
          been entered correctly until Sharess - no info comes up on her, which is
          strange. If I put her before Selune and re-launch PCGen, then Sharess
          comes up fine, but Selune and all beyond her come up with no info.
          That makes it seem like there's a limit to the number of deities that
          PCGen can handle - which doesn't make sense. I put no such cap on
          deities. I did notice that a few of the deities have extra tabs at the
          end of their line in the file, but that shouldn't make any difference.
          I'll put these two (skill.lst and deity.lst) problems on my bug list. Bugs
          are always a higher priority than features, so hopefully I'll get all the
          bugs fixed with my first release next week.

          -Bryan

        • Bryan McRoberts
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 29, 2000
            David Cortijo wrote:

            > OK, while I'm not a programmer, my guess is that your problem is skill
            > duplication. Certain skills are used in both DnD and Star Wars (Diplomacy
            > was just one I saw off the bat). You SHOULD be able to get the skill.lst
            > file to work if it has JUST SW or DnD classes.skills in it. Try it out by
            > making a new skill.lst with just the Star Wars skills - that should fix it.

            Not a bad guess, but like I mention in my previous email to Robert, it
            seems like
            there's something else going on. It might be that if he were to remove
            all the
            non-Star Wars stuff it would all work. Would it be due to duplication of
            Skills?
            That's obviously not the case with the deity.lst file. Could it be a
            combination
            of duplication of skill names and some sort of cap on the number of deities?
            Possibly. Again, I'll now for sure next week (hopefully tuesday!).
            One trick programmers use to find a problem is to try the bisection
            approach -
            remove all the skills/deities but one. Does it still work? If so, add
            half of
            them. Does it still work? If not, then remove half of those. If it did
            work, then
            add all of them. This bisection of the items you're dealing with will
            hopefully
            help you zero in on the specific line that's causing a problem, or make it
            clear if it's simply the number of items that's causing the problem. I'd try
            it tonight, but it's late and I gotta sleep! Of course, when I have my code
            handy I can have it stop where the crash occurs and then it's much more
            obvious why it's crashing. Without the code I'm left with hunt and peck
            type
            methods. This bisection method works for just about any problem that
            can be broken into pieces.
            Anyway, g'night all!

            -Bryan