ok i cant do it

  • Robert Hilson
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 29, 2000
      here is the error and i will attach the skills
      java.lang.NullPointerException
      at Skill.isClassSkill
      at Skill.costForPCClass
      at PCGen.displaySkillListView
      at PCGen.classNameListBox_selectedIndexChanged
      at com/ms/wfc/core/EventHandler.invoke
      at com/ms/wfc/core/Component.fireEvent
      at com/ms/wfc/ui/ComboBox.onSelectedIndexChanged
      at com/ms/wfc/ui/ComboBox.setSelectedIndex
      at PCGen.displaySkillTab
      at PCGen.pcTabControl_selectedIndexChanged
      at com/ms/wfc/core/EventHandler.invoke
      at com/ms/wfc/ui/TabBase.onSelectedIndexChanged
      at com/ms/wfc/ui/TabBase.wmSelChange
      at com/ms/wfc/ui/TabBase.wndProc
      at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control$ControlWindow.wndProc
      at com/ms/wfc/app/Window.callback
      at com/ms/wfc/win32/Windows.SendMessage
      at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control.sendMessage
      at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control.reflectMessage
      at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control.wmNotify
      at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control.wndProc
      at com/ms/wfc/ui/Form.wndProc
      at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control$ControlWindow.wndProc
      at com/ms/wfc/app/Window.callback
      at com/ms/wfc/win32/Windows.CallWindowProc
      at com/ms/wfc/app/Window.defWndProc
      at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control$ControlWindow.defWndProc
      at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control.defWndProc
      at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control.wmMouseDown
      at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control.wndProc
      at com/ms/wfc/ui/TabBase.wndProc
      at com/ms/wfc/ui/Control$ControlWindow.wndProc
      at com/ms/wfc/app/Window.callback
      at com/ms/wfc/win32/Windows.DispatchMessage
      at com/ms/wfc/app/Application$ThreadContext.runMessageLoop
      at com/ms/wfc/app/Application.run
      at PCGen.main

      =====
      Robert Hilson
      http://www.bepaid.com/users.rhtml?REFID=11428864

      http://photos.yahoo.com/
    • David Cortijo
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 29, 2000
        OK, while I'm not a programmer, my guess is that your problem is skill
        duplication. Certain skills are used in both DnD and Star Wars (Diplomacy
        was just one I saw off the bat). You SHOULD be able to get the skill.lst
        file to work if it has JUST SW or DnD classes.skills in it. Try it out by
        making a new skill.lst with just the Star Wars skills - that should fix it.

        Dave

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 29, 2000
          it started with just the sw, modifyine the exsisting dnd that weere there with
          just the dnd ones, but didnt work. i added and with both any skill clicked on
          even old ones get that err. i am working on the combat tracker(ok telling a
          friend what i ould like) that can pull the pcg files. not that the combat tab
          isint good, id just also like to have monsters.

          =====
          Robert Hilson
          http://www.bepaid.com/users.rhtml?REFID=11428864

          http://photos.yahoo.com/
        • Bryan McRoberts
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 29, 2000
            Robert,
            I'll definitely have to take a look at this. It looks like the deity.lst
            file and
            skill.lst file problems are similar, but it's hard to say at the moment.
            I can't check my code until tuesday, but it should be pretty easy to
            see what's going on. I did notice that if I select the None deity and then
            use the arrow to go down your deity.lst file, all the deities look like
            they've
            been entered correctly until Sharess - no info comes up on her, which is
            strange. If I put her before Selune and re-launch PCGen, then Sharess
            comes up fine, but Selune and all beyond her come up with no info.
            That makes it seem like there's a limit to the number of deities that
            PCGen can handle - which doesn't make sense. I put no such cap on
            deities. I did notice that a few of the deities have extra tabs at the
            end of their line in the file, but that shouldn't make any difference.
            I'll put these two (skill.lst and deity.lst) problems on my bug list. Bugs
            are always a higher priority than features, so hopefully I'll get all the
            bugs fixed with my first release next week.

            -Bryan

          • Bryan McRoberts
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 29, 2000
              David Cortijo wrote:

              > OK, while I'm not a programmer, my guess is that your problem is skill
              > duplication. Certain skills are used in both DnD and Star Wars (Diplomacy
              > was just one I saw off the bat). You SHOULD be able to get the skill.lst
              > file to work if it has JUST SW or DnD classes.skills in it. Try it out by
              > making a new skill.lst with just the Star Wars skills - that should fix it.

              Not a bad guess, but like I mention in my previous email to Robert, it
              seems like
              there's something else going on. It might be that if he were to remove
              all the
              non-Star Wars stuff it would all work. Would it be due to duplication of
              Skills?
              That's obviously not the case with the deity.lst file. Could it be a
              combination
              of duplication of skill names and some sort of cap on the number of deities?
              Possibly. Again, I'll now for sure next week (hopefully tuesday!).
              One trick programmers use to find a problem is to try the bisection
              approach -
              remove all the skills/deities but one. Does it still work? If so, add
              half of
              them. Does it still work? If not, then remove half of those. If it did
              work, then
              add all of them. This bisection of the items you're dealing with will
              hopefully
              help you zero in on the specific line that's causing a problem, or make it
              clear if it's simply the number of items that's causing the problem. I'd try
              it tonight, but it's late and I gotta sleep! Of course, when I have my code
              handy I can have it stop where the crash occurs and then it's much more
              obvious why it's crashing. Without the code I'm left with hunt and peck
              type
              methods. This bisection method works for just about any problem that
              can be broken into pieces.
              Anyway, g'night all!

              -Bryan