RE: [pcgen] 2.4.2 bugs

  • Mynex
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2002
      1 & 2 - Are character sheet issues, not PCGen code issues. This is
      being worked on.
      3 - Yes, in the existing list files for magic/optional sizes they are
      wrong, they weren't fixed, and they probably won't get fixed as they
      will be going away shortly, leaving only 'base/standard' items and
      Unique/Special/Named items.
      4 - there is an option under 'Options' to use existing list files or
      not. If not, then it ignores anything non-basic and lets you create the
      magical/optional sized items
      5 - It does NOT make it useless, the tags for armors have been changed
      from AC to BONUS:COMBAT|AC|#|TYPE=Armor.REPLACE or LOCK to handle Armor
      stacking issues.

      I don't understand - Well, your wrong there... the coding part for
      armors is done, it's the list files that need the catching up, and
      that's what we're in the process of doing right now.

      Just frustrated - It is fixed, it does work, and people are working on
      the list files and output sheets (psheets/csheets)

      Mynex

      - #1 Evil assistant to the PCGen Code Monkey (Code Badgerer)
      - PCGen Document & List File Silverback
      - RPG Gateway - Character Generator Software Editor

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2002
        Just so everyone knows... 'bugs' are always more important than new
        features. That said, there's a certain amount of triage that goes
        on - weighing how important a bug is to other work that is going on.
        Some bugs are not a code issue, they're a data-issue. Either way,
        the rate we can fix them at is directly related to who is willing to
        help and how much time they have and how proficient they are (either
        coding or editing data). Obviously I would love PCGen to have no
        bugs and to do what everyone wants it to do. :) This is a community
        project and as such has many organic behaviors. Different people
        will have different priorities (to one person whether or not a cleric
        can choose between Rebuke Undead and Turn undead is trivial, to
        another person it's absolutely vital!). The most important thing to
        understand is that we can only fix the bugs we know about - so
        reporting bugs here is *very* helpful. It would be nice if the
        person reporting the bug could determine whether or not it was a code
        or data issue, and whether or not it had been reported already.
        However, given the alternatives, I'd rather have a bug reported
        multiple times than not at all.

        For those who are wondering what my criteria of a 'significant' bug
        is... it's anything which generates text incorrectly on character
        sheets. (sub-totals are less important - like the 'item' aspect of AC
        is less important than the 'total' AC value, though getting
        everything right is definitely our goal!). The sum goal of PCGen (at
        this point) is to produce perfectly correct character sheets. We're
        slowly spreading into other areas, but primarily it has remain
        focused on the characters.

        -Bryan, Chief Code Silverback
      • Mark Hulsman
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2002
          > I don't understand why new GUIs, etc. are taking higher priority than
          getting the base functionality of, say, wearing armor working.

          The new guis are not taking more priority than getting armor right. It just
          different people are working on each thing. I don't remember who was doing
          the armor stuff, but he's already done a lot of armor work and is trying to
          six armor. He just hasn't finished yet. Those of us working on the new gui
          aren't as familiar with the code for armor so we're letting him do it.

          > Still appreciative of all the work that goes into this, just frustrated
          that I can't tell my players when this will be fixed, or even if anybody's
          working on it at all.

          It is being worked on, but remember everything written in PC Gen is in our
          spare time.
        • pjak
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2002
            --- In pcgen@y..., Thomas Clegg <arknight@s...> wrote:
            > Or better yet, up under the Options menu, Select the Equipment Auto
            Creation
            > entry and uncheck the "Load from lst files only"

            Well, you *could* do that. But that would be too easy. ;-)

            /Jonas
          • Ethaisias
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 1, 2002
              > For those who are wondering what my criteria of a 'significant' bug
              > is... it's anything which generates text incorrectly on character
              > sheets. (sub-totals are less important - like the 'item' aspect of
              AC
              > is less important than the 'total' AC value, though getting
              > everything right is definitely our goal!). The sum goal of PCGen
              (at
              > this point) is to produce perfectly correct character sheets.
              We're
              > slowly spreading into other areas, but primarily it has remain
              > focused on the characters.
              >
              > -Bryan, Chief Code Silverback

              That is fine eccept that because the 'item' aspect AC does not work
              it affects the 'total' AC for both touch and flat-footed AC. This
              can be significant if you are attacked often by wizards ir rogues.

              I do think this is a great progrom. It does a lot of what I want.
              It has allowed me to adapt my Character sheet to be kinda what I want
              and have most of the info I need. There are a few things I would
              like to see, but most I do not think will be fisable. To this end I
              try to get something of what I want in the confines of what is
              available and I usualy get something that works out. Over time I may
              find that what I get is better than what I want. As they say, be
              careful of what you wish for.
            • Tony Beeman
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 1, 2002
                Sorry to frustrate you, Mynex... if I didn't like PCGen so much, and want my players to use it, I wouldn't be whining so much :)

                I see what you're saying now: I turned off the lists, and finally noticed that even though customize says the AC is 0 when I make Hide armor small, that's just because the customize dialog doesn't recognize the new tags. So that seems to all be good. I see what you're saying about character sheets... csheet.htm lists the BaseAC as +0, but the total AC as +3. And if the character sheets can be rewritten to show the armor AC seperate from the ability AC, I'll look into doing that as well!

                Thanks,
                Tony

[...]

                Monitoring Service trial
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/9rHolB/TM