File - Welcome

  • pcgen@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 337 , Feb 1, 2002
      Welcome!

      What is PCGen?
      PCGen is a character generator and maintenance program aimed at supporting any and all d20 games. PCGen is meant to be easy to modify to suit your own campaign, and users are encouraged to share their creations.

      For D20 Games Publishers:
      Please read our OpenLetter to all D20 Games Publishers - we want to work with you. We'd love to convert your material for use with PCGen - this is a free way for your material to get widespread use without without giving out so much detail that purchasing the material is no longer necessary. Email me (merton_monk@... Bryan McRoberts) or post on our yahoo message board if you'd like more information.

      Where are the official releases of PCGen?
      Currently PCGen is released at http://pcgen.sourceforge.net

      Where can I discuss PCGen and interact with the developers?
      If you login to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen you can check out the PCGen page from which you can view and post Messages. If you have any questions about PCGen, that's the place to send your question. Most of the developers hang out there on a regular basis, and a number of other very involved non-developers are also available to answer any questions you might have.

      Is there a FAQ for PCGen?
      You bet - a fan based one can be found at http://pedertest.officeline.no/pcgen/ and if you have any questions that aren't covered there that you think should be - let him or us know! We want to make learning how to use PCGen as easy and frustration free as possible.

      Where/How do I report Bugs or request features?
      You can submit a bug either by posting a message to the yahoo group with [BUG REPORT] in its title, or by going to Bug page at the sourceforge site and entering a bug there directly. We commonly refer to the feature requests as FREQ for short, and you can either post a message with [FREQ] in the title or enter it directly in the FREQ list at the sourceforge site. In both cases, the more detailed a bug/FREQ is, the more likely it will be addressed in the near future. We prefer FREQs be posted at the yahoo group initially so others can help iron out any details or brainstorm on how to improve the functionality.

      What do I need to run PCGen?
      PCGen requires Java JRE 1.3 (this can be found at www.sun.com), which means it will run on any OS that supports that version of Java. This means that Max OS 8 & 9 users will need to have Virtual PC since those OSes only support Java 1.1.8. There are 3 zip files which make up a PCGen release - pcgenxxx.zip, lstxxx.zip and docxxx.zip - unzip all 3 of them into the same directory and you're good to go. Java 1.4 (beta) is available from Sun, but it doesn't seem to get along with PCGen very well, so we recommend that users stay with Java 1.3.

      What's available at the yahoo site?
      In the Files page there are a number of folders you should know about - there's Campaign+Central folder where lots of user added Campaigns are available. Users who want to send in corrections or updates to anything that's included in the official releases of PCGen should upload those files to the Official Release files folder in Campaign+Central. One of us, including our very own Portal to the Negative Plane, will make sure it gets included in the next release. There's a folder for new character sheet templates that aren't included in the standard releases, and there's a folder for Character PCG files when users have problems that they need help diagnosing.

      Thanks, and welcome aboard!

      Bryan McRoberts (merton_monk@...)
      Author and Chief Code Monkey of PCGen
      Message 337 of 337 , May 2

        Active is a loose term, but when I last checked, membership was over 7,000.

        On 5/1/17 10:49 PM, John Kantner jkantner@... [pcgen] wrote:
        How many active members of this group are there? Any idea, Andrew?

        On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 9:10 PM, Andrew drew0500@... [pcgen] <pcgen@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Eric,

        Those settings were set up before my time, but at a guess, back then we had a lot more people who exhibited troll-like tendencies, started flame wars, and generally didn't play nice with others. Since that really isn't the case any longer, I can turn off the monthly repeating messages.

        Cheers,

        Andrew

        On 5/1/17 4:13 AM, Eric 1ballistic1@... [pcgen] wrote:
        So, is anyone else getting the templated welcome emails every month?
        i'm getting the Welcome, the Greetings from Moderator Monkeys, and the MonkeyTeamsExplained ones over and over.
        Not so much annoying as odd...usually you get this kind of thing once?