2.4.2 bugs

  • Chris Wachal
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2002
      Since I don't really have time to read all of the messages, I hope this hasn't been reported yet.

      A lot of the armors have listed in their bonus slot "COMBAT|AC|1|TYPE=Armor.REPLACE0" or "COMBAT|AC|1|TYPE=Armor.REPLACE1" or "COMBAT|AC|1|TYPE=Armor.REPLACE2".  Almost all of these armors are supposed to have an AC over 1.  As an example, the first one I noticed is Breastplate +5.  I don't see any pattern to which ones are affected, but it seems to affect items that are +4, and +5, although not all of them, plus it does affect other items as well.  Either way, it brought my characters AC down a lot.

      Chris Wachal
    • Tony Beeman
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2002
        I was pleasantly surprised to find that my gnome's small hide armor now has an AC bonus of 3, correct weight, etc. again, but not so happy at the fact that:

        1) The AC still shows up as +0 on the individual armor list on most char sheets.
        2) The AC still shows up as an Ability bonus on most char sheets.
        3) A lot of the armor is still wrong for small sizes. (All the magical Hide armor, for instance)
        4) Customize won't work because the items already exist in list files.
        5) If I select armor in the customize menu (Hide), it has an AC of 0, making modification a little useless anyway.

        I don't understand why new GUIs, etc. are taking higher priority than getting the base functionality of, say, wearing armor working.

        Still appreciative of all the work that goes into this, just frustrated that I can't tell my players when this will be fixed, or even if anybody's working on it at all.

        Tony

        Since I don't really have time to read all of the messages, I hope this hasn't been reported yet.

        A lot of the armors have listed in their bonus slot "COMBAT|AC|1|TYPE=Armor.REPLACE0" or "COMBAT|AC|1|TYPE=Armor.REPLACE1" or "COMBAT|AC|1|TYPE=Armor.REPLACE2". Almost all of these armors are supposed to have an AC over 1. As an example, the first one I noticed is Breastplate +5. I don't see any pattern to which ones are affected, but it seems to affect items that are +4, and +5, although not all of them, plus it does affect other items as well. Either way, it brought my characters AC down a lot.

        Chris Wachal

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=213858.1871318.3370210.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705016061:HM/A=763352/R=0/*http://www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=5085>
        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=213858.1871318.3370210.1261774/D=egroupmail/S=1705016061:HM/A=763352/rand=878361684>

      • pjak
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2002
          --- In pcgen@y..., "Tony Beeman" <abeeman@m...> wrote:
          > 4) Customize won't work because the items already exist in list
          files.

          The best way to get around this particular problem is to make a
          campaign-specific pcc file that simply does not include any lst files
          that end with *optional, *magic, *magicandmasterwork, *masterwork or
          something similar.

          PCCcreator (which can be found in
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen/files/Applications/ ) is a
          wonderful help for this.

          /Jonas
        • Thomas Clegg
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2002
            Or better yet, up under the Options menu, Select the Equipment Auto Creation
            entry and uncheck the "Load from lst files only"

            When you do that, the entries below it should be functional and you can
            uncheck the ones you don't want to automatically be created. I did this,
            and I don't even get any masterwork items and have to customize most
            everything. ;-)

            Tom

            > The best way to get around this particular problem is to make a
            > campaign-specific pcc file that simply does not include any lst files
            > that end with *optional, *magic, *magicandmasterwork, *masterwork or
            > something similar.
            >
            > PCCcreator (which can be found in
            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen/files/Applications/ ) is a
            > wonderful help for this.
            >
            > /Jonas
          • Mynex
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 1, 2002
              1 & 2 - Are character sheet issues, not PCGen code issues. This is
              being worked on.
              3 - Yes, in the existing list files for magic/optional sizes they are
              wrong, they weren't fixed, and they probably won't get fixed as they
              will be going away shortly, leaving only 'base/standard' items and
              Unique/Special/Named items.
              4 - there is an option under 'Options' to use existing list files or
              not. If not, then it ignores anything non-basic and lets you create the
              magical/optional sized items
              5 - It does NOT make it useless, the tags for armors have been changed
              from AC to BONUS:COMBAT|AC|#|TYPE=Armor.REPLACE or LOCK to handle Armor
              stacking issues.

              I don't understand - Well, your wrong there... the coding part for
              armors is done, it's the list files that need the catching up, and
              that's what we're in the process of doing right now.

              Just frustrated - It is fixed, it does work, and people are working on
              the list files and output sheets (psheets/csheets)

              Mynex

              - #1 Evil assistant to the PCGen Code Monkey (Code Badgerer)
              - PCGen Document & List File Silverback
              - RPG Gateway - Character Generator Software Editor

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 1, 2002
                Just so everyone knows... 'bugs' are always more important than new
                features. That said, there's a certain amount of triage that goes
                on - weighing how important a bug is to other work that is going on.
                Some bugs are not a code issue, they're a data-issue. Either way,
                the rate we can fix them at is directly related to who is willing to
                help and how much time they have and how proficient they are (either
                coding or editing data). Obviously I would love PCGen to have no
                bugs and to do what everyone wants it to do. :) This is a community
                project and as such has many organic behaviors. Different people
                will have different priorities (to one person whether or not a cleric
                can choose between Rebuke Undead and Turn undead is trivial, to
                another person it's absolutely vital!). The most important thing to
                understand is that we can only fix the bugs we know about - so
                reporting bugs here is *very* helpful. It would be nice if the
                person reporting the bug could determine whether or not it was a code
                or data issue, and whether or not it had been reported already.
                However, given the alternatives, I'd rather have a bug reported
                multiple times than not at all.

                For those who are wondering what my criteria of a 'significant' bug
                is... it's anything which generates text incorrectly on character
                sheets. (sub-totals are less important - like the 'item' aspect of AC
                is less important than the 'total' AC value, though getting
                everything right is definitely our goal!). The sum goal of PCGen (at
                this point) is to produce perfectly correct character sheets. We're
                slowly spreading into other areas, but primarily it has remain
                focused on the characters.

                -Bryan, Chief Code Silverback
              • Mark Hulsman
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 1, 2002
                  > I don't understand why new GUIs, etc. are taking higher priority than
                  getting the base functionality of, say, wearing armor working.

                  The new guis are not taking more priority than getting armor right. It just
                  different people are working on each thing. I don't remember who was doing
                  the armor stuff, but he's already done a lot of armor work and is trying to
                  six armor. He just hasn't finished yet. Those of us working on the new gui
                  aren't as familiar with the code for armor so we're letting him do it.

                  > Still appreciative of all the work that goes into this, just frustrated
                  that I can't tell my players when this will be fixed, or even if anybody's
                  working on it at all.

                  It is being worked on, but remember everything written in PC Gen is in our
                  spare time.
                • pjak
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 1, 2002
                    --- In pcgen@y..., Thomas Clegg <arknight@s...> wrote:
                    > Or better yet, up under the Options menu, Select the Equipment Auto
                    Creation
                    > entry and uncheck the "Load from lst files only"

                    Well, you *could* do that. But that would be too easy. ;-)

                    /Jonas
                  • Ethaisias
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 1, 2002
                      > For those who are wondering what my criteria of a 'significant' bug
                      > is... it's anything which generates text incorrectly on character
                      > sheets. (sub-totals are less important - like the 'item' aspect of
                      AC
                      > is less important than the 'total' AC value, though getting
                      > everything right is definitely our goal!). The sum goal of PCGen
                      (at
                      > this point) is to produce perfectly correct character sheets.
                      We're
                      > slowly spreading into other areas, but primarily it has remain
                      > focused on the characters.
                      >
                      > -Bryan, Chief Code Silverback

                      That is fine eccept that because the 'item' aspect AC does not work
                      it affects the 'total' AC for both touch and flat-footed AC. This
                      can be significant if you are attacked often by wizards ir rogues.

                      I do think this is a great progrom. It does a lot of what I want.
                      It has allowed me to adapt my Character sheet to be kinda what I want
                      and have most of the info I need. There are a few things I would
                      like to see, but most I do not think will be fisable. To this end I
                      try to get something of what I want in the confines of what is
                      available and I usualy get something that works out. Over time I may
                      find that what I get is better than what I want. As they say, be
                      careful of what you wish for.
                    • Tony Beeman
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 1, 2002
                        Sorry to frustrate you, Mynex... if I didn't like PCGen so much, and want my players to use it, I wouldn't be whining so much :)

                        I see what you're saying now: I turned off the lists, and finally noticed that even though customize says the AC is 0 when I make Hide armor small, that's just because the customize dialog doesn't recognize the new tags. So that seems to all be good. I see what you're saying about character sheets... csheet.htm lists the BaseAC as +0, but the total AC as +3. And if the character sheets can be rewritten to show the armor AC seperate from the ability AC, I'll look into doing that as well!

                        Thanks,
                        Tony

[...]

                        Monitoring Service trial
                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/9rHolB/TM