Equip management GUI

  • pirkesoft
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 31, 2002
      I've uploaded a new screenshot of the equipment "management" gui.
      This is different than the current versions, and it should be. It's
      meant to manage equipment and items that have currently been assigned
      to a character. I think of it as a "I'm getting dressed in the
      morning, what do I wear?" screen.

      Thoughts?

      Pirk
    • Mark Hulsman
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 31, 2002
        > I've uploaded a new screenshot of the equipment "management" gui.
        > This is different than the current versions, and it should be. It's
        > meant to manage equipment and items that have currently been assigned
        > to a character. I think of it as a "I'm getting dressed in the
        > morning, what do I wear?" screen.
        >
        > Thoughts?

        Looks great to me, although you have two right buttons. And I don't think
        we should have the description stuff on the right editable on this tab. Let
        them edit the description and name on the buy tab, and on this tab just
        display it since we may end up with multiple copies of the same item in
        different places on this tab. And one thing, we need a button to make a new
        equipment snapshot somewhere on this tab. The new one would then appear in
        the tree on the right on the same level you have carried equipment. Carried
        equipment should be changed to something like default equipment or something
        similar. And the tab on the left should definitely not have items inside
        the containers, because the right side is for putting the items into
        containers. I would suggest something similar to Bryans buy tab mockup
        where the left is in a tree by type, but only owned items would appear in
        the tree on this tab.
      • merton_monk
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 31, 2002
          Very promising. A few comments based upon my initial plans and what
          I've gleaned from various people:
          1. Have some way to indicate if you're proficient with the item
          and/or if you qualify for it (some items have PRExxx tags)
          2. Not sure how you'd do this, but if you have 10 daggers, it would
          be nice to be able to put 8 of them in your backpack, 1 in your sock
          and 1 in your hand. :)
          3. have different "Equipped Scenarios", meaning - when you're "In
          Town" you'll have one configuration of equipped items. when
          you're "Spelunking" you'll have a different configuration. You can
          pretend that the currently selected one in the GUI is the one that
          will be used for character sheet generation purposes.
          4. It's nice if the weight a container is carrying is indicated.
          5. according to the 'standard' we're using, the "Info" stuff goes
          along the bottom. If you used a JTreeTable you could have the tree
          in the left-most column and have editable-columns. For something
          like "History" you could make it a textfield which, when clicked on,
          opens up a JTextField in a panel where you can type in any details.
          This way you don't have to have user-input areas outside of the table
          itself, and the bottom can be reserved purely for non-editable
          information.
          6. You guys are going to handle letting the user have multiple weapon
          combinations, right? Maybe not in the first pass - but it would be
          nice if, for a character with a dagger, shield and longsword, you
          could have the character sheet indicate what your to-hit and damage
          was for
          a) longsword in primary hand, shield in secondary
          b) longsword in primary, dagger in secondary
          c) dagger in primary, shield in seconday
          only one of these 'combinations' could be "equipped" (meaning their
          BONUS: tags would impact other numbers like AC... the other
          combinations would be displayed as well, just their BONUS: tags
          couldn't affect other numbers)

          I'm sure you'll get a lot of feedback from others as well. :)

          -Bryan

          --- In pcgen@y..., "pirkesoft" <jpirkey@a...> wrote:
          > I've uploaded a new screenshot of the equipment "management" gui.
          > This is different than the current versions, and it should be.
          It's
          > meant to manage equipment and items that have currently been
          assigned
          > to a character. I think of it as a "I'm getting dressed in the
          > morning, what do I wear?" screen.
          >
          > Thoughts?
          >
          > Pirk
        • Mark Hulsman
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 31, 2002
            > 2. Not sure how you'd do this, but if you have 10 daggers, it would
            > be nice to be able to put 8 of them in your backpack, 1 in your sock
            > and 1 in your hand. :)

            We'll do this with a popup that will come up when trying to move an item
            with quantity > 1.
          • pirkesoft
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 31, 2002
              --- In pcgen@y..., "Mark Hulsman" <hulsmanm@p...> wrote:
              > > 2. Not sure how you'd do this, but if you have 10 daggers, it
              would
              > > be nice to be able to put 8 of them in your backpack, 1 in your
              sock
              > > and 1 in your hand. :)
              >
              > We'll do this with a popup that will come up when trying to move an
              item
              > with quantity > 1.

              And as an additional note, I think that any container should be
              stored and displayed as a separate entity. Instead of listing "Small
              sack" quantity of 4, it would actually have 4 "Small sack" listings.
              Of course the problem with this is massive listings on the
              navigation. But I have a workaround, that just donned on me, any
              empty containers of the same type would be listed together, and only
              separated when you wanted to drop something into it... I'll have an
              example on the next screenshot...
            • pirkesoft
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 31, 2002
                --- In pcgen@y..., "Mark Hulsman" <hulsmanm@p...> wrote:
                > > I've uploaded a new screenshot of the equipment "management" gui.
                > > This is different than the current versions, and it should be.
                It's
                > > meant to manage equipment and items that have currently been
                assigned
                > > to a character. I think of it as a "I'm getting dressed in the
                > > morning, what do I wear?" screen.
                > >
                > > Thoughts?
                >
                > Looks great to me, although you have two right buttons. And I
                don't think
                > we should have the description stuff on the right editable on this
                tab. Let
                > them edit the description and name on the buy tab, and on this tab
                just
                > display it since we may end up with multiple copies of the same
                item in
                > different places on this tab. And one thing, we need a button to
                make a new
                > equipment snapshot somewhere on this tab. The new one would then
                appear in
                > the tree on the right on the same level you have carried
                equipment. Carried
                > equipment should be changed to something like default equipment or
                something
                > similar. And the tab on the left should definitely not have items
                inside
                > the containers, because the right side is for putting the items into
                > containers. I would suggest something similar to Bryans buy tab
                mockup
                > where the left is in a tree by type, but only owned items would
                appear in
                > the tree on this tab.

                I think items should be inside their containers for several reasons.
                First, say you want to move one of your small sacks, each of which
                has different items it it. How do you know if the small sack you're
                moving is the correct one? With it in tree form, you can make sure
                it's the correct sack and move the entire branch. Second, what if
                there are containers within containers?

                Let me finish the next mockup and we can kick this around further...

                Pirk
              • Keith Davies
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 31, 2002
                  pirkesoft wrote on Thu Jan 31 12:15:15 2002:

                  > And as an additional note, I think that any container should be
                  > stored and displayed as a separate entity. Instead of listing "Small
                  > sack" quantity of 4, it would actually have 4 "Small sack" listings.
                  > Of course the problem with this is massive listings on the
                  > navigation. But I have a workaround, that just donned on me, any
                  > empty containers of the same type would be listed together, and only
                  > separated when you wanted to drop something into it... I'll have an
                  > example on the next screenshot...

                  An off-topic question, perhaps, but can you create a tree that displays
                  information in a tabular format? I'm way out of practice with Java,
                  and haven't worked with Swing at all.

                  What I'm looking for is a display something like:

                  + Equip Kit: Travel 54 lb
                  + Equip Kit: Dungeon Crawl 48 lb
                  + Backpack 27 lb
                  - rope 10 lb
                  - lantern 3 lb
                  - ... other stuff ... 14 lb
                  + large sack 12 lb
                  + belt pouch 1 lb
                  - gold statuette 1 lb
                  - leather armor 5 lb
                  - short sword 3 lb
                  + Equip Kit: Fight 9 lb
                  + belt pouch 1 lb
                  - leather armor 5 lb
                  - short sword 3 lb

                  The trees could be collapsed, but the summary information (weight only,
                  in this example, and I expect most of the weights are wrong because I
                  made them up...) could still be viewed. In the example above, the
                  character has a set of gear that he carries when traveling, another
                  that he carries when dungeon crawling, and a third that he carries
                  when he gets in a fight (in this case, it looks like the dungeon crawl
                  set, except he drops his bags to avoid encumberance).

                  A similar thing could be used to summarize stuff -- when calling up
                  the character's spellbooks, for example, each book could be listed
                  with the number of spells in it, or a brief description of the book.
                  When opened, the list of spells appear with the one-liner about
                  each of them, or some other summary information such as the spells'
                  header blocks.

                  I'm not suggesting it as a feature right now (although I think it'd
                  be a nice one); I'm just curious about how it would be done.

                  Keith
                  --
                  Keith Davies
                  kjdavies@...

                  Logan: "I don't think it's a good idea."
                  Raven: "The vote is three to one against you -- me, the crystal ball,
                  and the little voices in your head."
                • backlash_de
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 31, 2002
                    --- In pcgen@y..., Keith Davies <kjdavies@t...> wrote:
                    > What I'm looking for is a display something like:
                    >
                    > + Equip Kit: Travel 54 lb
                    > + Equip Kit: Dungeon Crawl 48 lb
                    > + Backpack 27 lb
                    > - rope 10 lb
                    > - lantern 3 lb
                    > - ... other stuff ... 14 lb
                    > + large sack 12 lb
                    > + belt pouch 1 lb
                    > - gold statuette 1 lb
                    > - leather armor 5 lb
                    > - short sword 3 lb
                    > + Equip Kit: Fight 9 lb
                    > + belt pouch 1 lb
                    > - leather armor 5 lb
                    > - short sword 3 lb
                    >
                    > The trees could be collapsed, but the summary information (weight
                    > only, in this example, and I expect most of the weights are wrong
                    > because I made them up...) could still be viewed. In the example
                    > above, the character has a set of gear that he carries when
                    > traveling, another that he carries when dungeon crawling, and a
                    > third that he carries when he gets in a fight (in this case, it
                    > looks like the dungeon crawl set, except he drops his bags to avoid
                    > encumberance).
                    >
                    > A similar thing could be used to summarize stuff -- when calling up
                    > the character's spellbooks, for example, each book could be listed
                    > with the number of spells in it, or a brief description of the book.
                    > When opened, the list of spells appear with the one-liner about
                    > each of them, or some other summary information such as the spells'
                    > header blocks.
                    >
                    > I'm not suggesting it as a feature right now (although I think it'd
                    > be a nice one); I'm just curious about how it would be done.

                    Wouldn't the JTreeTable which Bryan used for the feats tab and is now
                    using for the new inventory tab be exactly what you are looking for?

                    Kinson
                  • RageHeart
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 31, 2002
                      Hi, pirkesoft,

                      Also, what about characters with nonstandard limbs, 4 arms (Xill) or 4 legs (Centaur), if you hard code for strictly humanoid you leave out possible character combinations.

                      Regards,
                      RageHeart
                      rageheart@...
                    • Mark Hulsman
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 31, 2002
                        > And as an additional note, I think that any container should be
                        > stored and displayed as a separate entity. Instead of listing "Small
                        > sack" quantity of 4, it would actually have 4 "Small sack" listings.
                        > Of course the problem with this is massive listings on the
                        > navigation. But I have a workaround, that just donned on me, any
                        > empty containers of the same type would be listed together, and only
                        > separated when you wanted to drop something into it... I'll have an
                        > example on the next screenshot...

                        Thats also in the plan already, no containers will be able to have a
                        quantity greater than 1.
                      • merton_monk
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 31, 2002
                          I think they'll (they = Mark and Pirk) build the possibilities off a
                          file, and it will take various racial ( & template?) attributes into
                          account. It will also dice carrots. :)

                          -Bryan

                          --- In pcgen@y..., RageHeart <rageheart@w...> wrote:
                          > Hi, pirkesoft,
                          >
                          > Also, what about characters with nonstandard limbs, 4 arms (Xill)
                          or 4 legs (Centaur), if you hard code for strictly humanoid you leave
                          out possible character combinations.

                          > Regards,
                          > RageHeart
                          > rageheart@a...
                        • Mark Hulsman
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 31, 2002
                            > I think items should be inside their containers for several reasons.
                            > First, say you want to move one of your small sacks, each of which
                            > has different items it it. How do you know if the small sack you're
                            > moving is the correct one? With it in tree form, you can make sure
                            > it's the correct sack and move the entire branch. Second, what if
                            > there are containers within containers?
                            >
                            > Let me finish the next mockup and we can kick this around further...

                            Well, waht I'm trying to say is that we won't be putting objects inside
                            containers excpet for on the right hand side of this tab. Once this tab is
                            running, Bryan will remove all equipping and container stuff from the other
                            tab. So objects will not be in containers except on the right side, so the
                            left side can't display them in containers. Clearer?
                          • Mark Hulsman
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 31, 2002
                              > Also, what about characters with nonstandard limbs, 4 arms (Xill) or 4
                              legs (Centaur), if you hard code for strictly humanoid you leave out
                              possible character combinations.

                              Absolutely nothing on this tab will be hardcoded. All the available slots
                              will be defined ina lst file and the same file will define the number of
                              slots the default humanoid has. Then the races can change around the slots
                              to match. SO 4 armed, 2 headed 8 legged will be perfectly fine and all the
                              slots on the tab will be dynamically generated.
                            • Keith Davies
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jan 31, 2002
                                backlash_de wrote on Thu Jan 31 12:46:33 2002:

                                > Wouldn't the JTreeTable which Bryan used for the feats tab and is now
                                > using for the new inventory tab be exactly what you are looking for?

                                Dunno. The tree behavior is there, I know; what I'm wondering about is
                                the tabular formatting of data in the tree rows.

                                Keith

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jan 31, 2002
                                  backlash_de wrote on Thu Jan 31 12:46:33 2002:

                                  > Wouldn't the JTreeTable which Bryan used for the feats tab and is now
                                  > using for the new inventory tab be exactly what you are looking for?

                                  eh, ignore my previous reply; I hadn't read the whole thing (JTree*Table*,
                                  not just JTree...)

                                  Keith
                                  --
                                  Keith Davies
                                  kjdavies@...

                                  Logan: "I don't think it's a good idea."
                                  Raven: "The vote is three to one against you -- me, the crystal ball,
                                  and the little voices in your head."
                                • Peter Kahle
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jan 31, 2002
                                    One thing to watch out for, though, is how to move a container in the
                                    right pane to another container in the right pane. If I remember, Drag &
                                    Drop didn't work inside of a tabbed pane when it was tried a while back.

                                    On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 04:01:44PM -0500, Mark Hulsman wrote:
                                    > > I think items should be inside their containers for several reasons.
                                    > > First, say you want to move one of your small sacks, each of which
                                    > > has different items it it. How do you know if the small sack you're
                                    > > moving is the correct one? With it in tree form, you can make sure
                                    > > it's the correct sack and move the entire branch. Second, what if
                                    > > there are containers within containers?
                                    > >
                                    > > Let me finish the next mockup and we can kick this around further...
                                    >
                                    > Well, waht I'm trying to say is that we won't be putting objects inside
                                    > containers excpet for on the right hand side of this tab. Once this tab is
                                    > running, Bryan will remove all equipping and container stuff from the other
                                    > tab. So objects will not be in containers except on the right side, so the
                                    > left side can't display them in containers. Clearer?

                                    Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary
                                    safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.
                                    -- Ben Franklin

                                    || Peter M Kahle Jr || PGP Public Key on Keyservers ||
                                    || pkahle@... || http://pops.dyndns.com/~pkahle/ ||
                                    ##===============================##======================================##
                                  • RageHeart
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jan 31, 2002
                                      Hi, merton_monk,

                                      Kewl. but won't that be more difficult than if the provision for 0 - n body locations?

                                      BTW: what exactly do the rules say about magic items on exotic creatures?? ie. a hydra with 9 different Benificial necklaces (granted not use activated ones.)

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jan 31, 2002
                                        > One thing to watch out for, though, is how to move a container in the
                                        > right pane to another container in the right pane. If I remember, Drag &
                                        > Drop didn't work inside of a tabbed pane when it was tried a while back.

                                        You're right drag and drop doesn't work, so there will be no way yet to move
                                        stuff around on the right, you'll just have to remove it and put it on
                                        somewhere else. But putting stuff in containers and putting containers in
                                        containers will work jsut fine. You jsut won't be able to move around a
                                        whole container full of stuff already because theres no way to fill it
                                        before equipping it.
                                      • RageHeart
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jan 31, 2002
                                          Hi, Mark Hulsman,

                                          >Absolutely nothing on this tab will be hardcoded. All the available slots
                                          >will be defined ina lst file and the same file will define the number of
                                          >slots the default humanoid has. Then the races can change around the slots
                                          >to match. SO 4 armed, 2 headed 8 legged will be perfectly fine and all the
                                          >slots on the tab will be dynamically generated.

                                          RAWSOME!

                                          Regards,
                                          RageHeart
                                          rageheart@...
                                        • pirkesoft
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jan 31, 2002
                                            Ahhh, I was thinking of this as a completely separate area - with
                                            the left side being already populated from the equipment tab that is
                                            currently being used... In other words, a person has already
                                            selected all their stuff from the master lists, and now they're ready
                                            to put it into containers...

                                            Maybe my next screenshot will clear up what I was thinking of...

                                            Pirk

                                            --- In pcgen@y..., "Mark Hulsman" <hulsmanm@p...> wrote:
                                            > > I think items should be inside their containers for several
                                            reasons.
                                            > > First, say you want to move one of your small sacks, each of which
                                            > > has different items it it. How do you know if the small sack
                                            you're
                                            > > moving is the correct one? With it in tree form, you can make
                                            sure
                                            > > it's the correct sack and move the entire branch. Second, what if
                                            > > there are containers within containers?
                                            > >
                                            > > Let me finish the next mockup and we can kick this around
                                            further...

                                            > Well, waht I'm trying to say is that we won't be putting objects
                                            inside
                                            > containers excpet for on the right hand side of this tab. Once
                                            this tab is
                                            > running, Bryan will remove all equipping and container stuff from
                                            the other
                                            > tab. So objects will not be in containers except on the right
                                            side, so the
                                            > left side can't display them in containers. Clearer?
                                          • elves_are_mortal
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jan 31, 2002
                                              --- In pcgen@y..., "Mark Hulsman" <hulsmanm@p...> wrote:
                                              > Looks great to me, although you have two right buttons. And I
                                              don't think
                                              > we should have the description stuff on the right editable on this
                                              tab. Let
                                              > them edit the description and name on the buy tab, and on this tab
                                              just
                                              > display it since we may end up with multiple copies of the same
                                              item in
                                              > different places on this tab.

                                              I don't know; I liked the idea. One of the biggest item complaints
                                              of our group currently is that if we want to change an item, we have
                                              to sell it, rebuild another one, add the new ability (or name, or
                                              whatever), and then buy the new item. Having the ability to change
                                              the item already in your possession would make it quite easier.

                                              Thanks,
                                              Mortal_Elf
                                              [Whaddya mean, Sword +5 (Great/Bane (DM))?!?]
                                            • Mark Hulsman
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jan 31, 2002
                                                > I don't know; I liked the idea. One of the biggest item complaints
                                                > of our group currently is that if we want to change an item, we have
                                                > to sell it, rebuild another one, add the new ability (or name, or
                                                > whatever), and then buy the new item. Having the ability to change
                                                > the item already in your possession would make it quite easier.

                                                You'll be able to, jsut on the buy tab, not the tab we were talking about.
                                              • pjak
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jan 31, 2002
                                                  --- In pcgen@y..., RageHeart <rageheart@w...> wrote:
                                                  > BTW: what exactly do the rules say about magic items on exotic
                                                  creatures?? ie. a hydra with 9 different Benificial necklaces
                                                  (granted not use activated ones.)

                                                  I'm fairly certain that all races (irrespective of the number of
                                                  appendages) get to wear the same number of magical items. Which
                                                  probably means that there must be some way to set the number of limbs
                                                  that can carry magical items.

                                                  /Jonas
                                                • pjak
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jan 31, 2002
                                                    --- In pcgen@y..., Peter Kahle <pkahle@p...> wrote:
                                                    > One thing to watch out for, though, is how to move a container in
                                                    the
                                                    > right pane to another container in the right pane. If I remember,
                                                    Drag &
                                                    > Drop didn't work inside of a tabbed pane when it was tried a while
                                                    back.

                                                    If nothing else, it can probably be handled via cut & paste.
                                                    Reasonably similar metaphor, and people are used to it.

                                                    /Jonas
                                                  • STILES, BRAD
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Feb 1, 2002

                                                      While it's true that D&D apparently doesn't work correctly, there are other
                                                      ways to accomplish the same thing, without much loss in ease of use.

                                                      One way may be a method similar to cut and paste in other applications:
                                                      right click the item that is to be moved, choose "Move this item" from the
                                                      context menu that pops up, then right click the item it's to be moved into
                                                      and choose "Move here" from that context menu.

                                                      Another might be two arrows next to the pane, which when clicked, move the
                                                      highlighted item up or down in the tree.

                                                      Drag & Drop is nice, but it's not the only way to skin that displacer beast.

                                                      Brad
                                                    • Brian Yap
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Feb 1, 2002
                                                        Mark Hulsman wrote:

                                                        > > Also, what about characters with nonstandard limbs, 4 arms (Xill) or 4
                                                        > legs (Centaur), if you hard code for strictly humanoid you leave out
                                                        > possible character combinations.
                                                        >
                                                        > Absolutely nothing on this tab will be hardcoded. All the available slots
                                                        > will be defined ina lst file and the same file will define the number of
                                                        > slots the default humanoid has. Then the races can change around the
                                                        > slots
                                                        > to match. SO 4 armed, 2 headed 8 legged will be perfectly fine and
                                                        > all the
                                                        > slots on the tab will be dynamically generated.

                                                        Is a location also required for the equipment item. For example,

                                                        RING FITS:Finger,Toe,Tentacle

                                                        The problem here is that it is hard to know in advance what locations will be available.

                                                        --
                                                        =====
                                                        Brian Yap