who put all the SPACES in the lst files?

  • gsbingl
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 31, 2002
      Current CVS'd copies of many lst files contain spaces before the
      tabs. This is a BAD thing.

      Byngl
    • pjak
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 31, 2002
        --- In pcgen@y..., "gsbingl" <byngl@h...> wrote:
        > Current CVS'd copies of many lst files contain spaces before the
        > tabs. This is a BAD thing.

        Don't know who did it, but I'll run a script to fix it.

        /Jonas
      • lonejedi70
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 31, 2002
          I just happened to find one (the Shuriken entry in PHB exotc ranged)
          and corrected it in CVS, but I didn't even think to check all the
          files :P I'm guessing that someone did a (series of?) global search-
          n-replace because not only the weapon name, but it's PROFICIENCY tag
          had the same problem.

          I blame Mynex and put it to him to go fix them all ;)

          -Lone Jedi
          (Jason)

          --- In pcgen@y..., "gsbingl" <byngl@h...> wrote:
          > Current CVS'd copies of many lst files contain spaces before the
          > tabs. This is a BAD thing.
          >
          > Byngl
        • pjak
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 31, 2002
            --- In pcgen@y..., "lonejedi70" <lonejedi70@h...> wrote:
            > I blame Mynex and put it to him to go fix them all ;)

            Oops. Guess I'll have to undo the fixes I just checked in then. ;-)

            /Jonas
          • lonejedi70
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 31, 2002
              Nah... just check in "breaks" over your fixes so that he still has
              something to do :P

              -Lone Jedi
              (Jason)

              --- In pcgen@y..., "pjak" <pjak@y...> wrote:
              > --- In pcgen@y..., "lonejedi70" <lonejedi70@h...> wrote:
              > > I blame Mynex and put it to him to go fix them all ;)
              >
              > Oops. Guess I'll have to undo the fixes I just checked in then. ;-)
              >
              > /Jonas
            • Mynex
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 31, 2002
                Well, I had just discovered the error about 5 mins before I saw these
                posts. :( Lone Jedi's post about the PhB Shuriken (actually his SF bug
                fix about the Shuriken) caught my attention. Thanks for fixing this,
                save me a ton of time.

                Could you send me the script you use to find/remove the spaces, as
                apparently the one I have isn't working. :(

                Mynex

                - #1 Evil assistant to the PCGen Code Monkey (Code Badgerer)
                - PCGen Document & List File Silverback
                - RPG Gateway - Character Generator Software Editor

                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 31, 2002
                  I had actually added a .trim() to the end of the aTok.nextToken() in
                  Equipment.parseLine() and the problem goes away. Is there any reason
                  we don't do this already? i.e. should I CVS it?

                  Byngl

                  --- In pcgen@y..., "Mynex" <mynex3@h...> wrote:

                  > Well, I had just discovered the error about 5 mins before I saw
                  these
                  > posts. :( Lone Jedi's post about the PhB Shuriken (actually his SF
                  bug
                  > fix about the Shuriken) caught my attention. Thanks for fixing
                  this,
                  > save me a ton of time.
                  >
                  > Could you send me the script you use to find/remove the spaces, as
                  > apparently the one I have isn't working. :(
                  >
                  > Mynex
                  >
                  > - #1 Evil assistant to the PCGen Code Monkey (Code Badgerer)
                  > - PCGen Document & List File Silverback
                  > - RPG Gateway - Character Generator Software Editor

                • merton_monk
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 31, 2002
                    Hm - yeah, that's probably a good idea. We should do that in all the
                    files to help keep spaces from causing such problems. spaces are bad
                    form and we should regularly run Jonas' script to correct the
                    problem, but we should make sure PCGen doesn't have problems due to
                    easily-correctable bad data files.

                    -Bryan

                    --- In pcgen@y..., "gsbingl" <byngl@h...> wrote:
                    > I had actually added a .trim() to the end of the aTok.nextToken()
                    in
                    > Equipment.parseLine() and the problem goes away. Is there any
                    reason
                    > we don't do this already? i.e. should I CVS it?
                    >
                    > Byngl
                    >
                    > --- In pcgen@y..., "Mynex" <mynex3@h...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Well, I had just discovered the error about 5 mins before I saw
                    > these
                    > > posts. :( Lone Jedi's post about the PhB Shuriken (actually his
                    SF
                    > bug
                    > > fix about the Shuriken) caught my attention. Thanks for fixing
                    > this,
                    > > save me a ton of time.
                    > >
                    > > Could you send me the script you use to find/remove the spaces, as
                    > > apparently the one I have isn't working. :(
                    > >
                    > > Mynex
                    > >
                    > > - #1 Evil assistant to the PCGen Code Monkey (Code Badgerer)
                    > > - PCGen Document & List File Silverback
                    > > - RPG Gateway - Character Generator Software Editor

                  • lonejedi70
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 31, 2002
                      I just noticed that mythicracesraces.lst still has 2 space-tab
                      entries, but it's for favored class. Is this how a "None" or "Any"
                      is supposed to be specified, or is there something else missing from
                      that file?

                      -Lone Jedi
                      (Jason)

                      --- In pcgen@y..., "Mynex" <mynex3@h...> wrote:

                      > Well, I had just discovered the error about 5 mins before I saw
                      these
                      > posts. :( Lone Jedi's post about the PhB Shuriken (actually his SF
                      bug
                      > fix about the Shuriken) caught my attention. Thanks for fixing
                      this,
                      > save me a ton of time.
                      >
                      > Could you send me the script you use to find/remove the spaces, as
                      > apparently the one I have isn't working. :(
                      >
                      > Mynex
                    • pjak
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 31, 2002
                        --- In pcgen@y..., "gsbingl" <byngl@h...> wrote:
                        > I had actually added a .trim() to the end of the aTok.nextToken()
                        in
                        > Equipment.parseLine() and the problem goes away. Is there any
                        reason
                        > we don't do this already? i.e. should I CVS it?

                        The main reason is that it takes time and memory. (Unless I'm
                        mistaken trim() causes the creation of a few more String objects.)

                        Personally I feel we shouldn't add trim() everywhere. (I may change
                        my mind once I get a faster computer. ;-)

                        /Jonas
                      • pjak
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 31, 2002
                          --- In pcgen@y..., "Mynex" <mynex3@h...> wrote:
                          > Could you send me the script you use to find/remove the spaces, as
                          > apparently the one I have isn't working. :(

                          Try this one:

                          http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/pcgen/checklst

                          works fine for me.

                          One warning though, the mythicraces race file needs a space in one
                          position. I've been meaning to ask arcady to change this, but haven't
                          gotten around to it.

                          /Jonas
                        • pjak
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 31, 2002
                            --- In pcgen@y..., "lonejedi70" <lonejedi70@h...> wrote:
                            > I just noticed that mythicracesraces.lst still has 2 space-tab
                            > entries, but it's for favored class. Is this how a "None" or "Any"
                            > is supposed to be specified, or is there something else missing
                            from
                            > that file?

                            Ask arcady. I've always left that file alone when I've run the script
                            due to the comments about the spaces being needed in the top of the
                            file.

                            /Jonas
                          • Mynex
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 31, 2002
                              Well according to his (Arcady's) notes, the space is required for racial
                              specific feats that assign a favored class.

                              I've tried them on several occasions, and they work as they are...

                              So I think adding that .Trim code would probably break these files and
                              any like them. Maybe have it run on everything but race files for now?
                              Or just run it right before release?

                              Mynex

                              - #1 Evil assistant to the PCGen Code Monkey (Code Badgerer)
                              - PCGen Document & List File Silverback
                              - RPG Gateway - Character Generator Software Editor

                              > I just noticed that mythicracesraces.lst still has 2 space-tab
                              > entries, but it's for favored class.  Is this how a "None" or "Any"
                              > is supposed to be specified, or is there something else missing
                              from
                              > that file?

                              Ask arcady. I've always left that file alone when I've run the script
                              due to the comments about the spaces being needed in the top of the
                              file.

                              /Jonas

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            • merton_monk
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 31, 2002
                                Okay - good point. Let's not put trim() in any of them. We'll
                                simply have to be vigilant about running the checklst script
                                regularly (someone want to cron it?). In the interest of speed and
                                memory, I think we'll have to rely on proper lst formats. :)

                                -Bryan

                                --- In pcgen@y..., "pjak" <pjak@y...> wrote:
                                > --- In pcgen@y..., "gsbingl" <byngl@h...> wrote:
                                > > I had actually added a .trim() to the end of the aTok.nextToken()
                                > in
                                > > Equipment.parseLine() and the problem goes away. Is there any
                                > reason
                                > > we don't do this already? i.e. should I CVS it?
                                >
                                > The main reason is that it takes time and memory. (Unless I'm
                                > mistaken trim() causes the creation of a few more String objects.)
                                >
                                > Personally I feel we shouldn't add trim() everywhere. (I may change
                                > my mind once I get a faster computer. ;-)
                                >
                                > /Jonas
                              • Mynex
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 31, 2002
                                  this can be done for only equipment? Cool... the problem is that
                                  equipment is one of the most edited type of list files we have. Trying
                                  to keep them cleaned up, up to date, adding new stuff is a nightmare.
                                  I'll be glad when we archive everything but base items and
                                  unique/specific/named items. All the magical/optional sized varieties
                                  can now be handled by the custom button, but I'm still holding out
                                  removing them until the option to save to a list file is introduced.

                                  Everything but scrolls can be customized now right?

                                  Mynex

                                  - #1 Evil assistant to the PCGen Code Monkey (Code Badgerer)
                                  - PCGen Document & List File Silverback
                                  - RPG Gateway - Character Generator Software Editor

                                  I had actually added a .trim() to the end of the aTok.nextToken() in
                                  Equipment.parseLine() and the problem goes away. Is there any reason
                                  we don't do this already? i.e. should I CVS it?

                                  Byngl

                                  --- In pcgen@y..., "Mynex" <mynex3@h...> wrote:

                                  > Well, I had just discovered the error about 5 mins before I saw
                                  these
                                  > posts. :(  Lone Jedi's post about the PhB Shuriken (actually his SF
                                  bug
                                  > fix about the Shuriken) caught my attention.  Thanks for fixing
                                  this,
                                  > save me a ton of time.
                                  >
                                  > Could you send me the script you use to find/remove the spaces, as
                                  > apparently the one I have isn't working. :(
                                  >
                                  > Mynex
                                  >
                                  > - #1 Evil assistant to the PCGen Code Monkey (Code Badgerer)
                                  > - PCGen Document & List File Silverback
                                  > - RPG Gateway - Character Generator Software Editor

                                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                • gsbingl
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 31, 2002
                                    Customizable things:

                                    currently:
                                    Armor, Ammunition, Shields, Weapons, anything with RESIZABLE type

                                    working on:
                                    Potions, Scrolls, Wands

                                  • pjak
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jan 31, 2002
                                      --- In pcgen@y..., "Mynex" <mynex3@h...> wrote:
                                      > Or just run it right before release?

                                      There's a good idea. Maybe Bryan could make running the script part
                                      of his release procedure?

                                      I know he runs ant (and thus probably has perl installed) and the
                                      script runs very quickly. It can be run either to just find the
                                      problems, or to automatically fix them.

                                      /Jonas
                                    • merton_monk
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 31, 2002
                                        --- In pcgen@y..., "pjak" <pjak@y...> wrote:
                                        > --- In pcgen@y..., "Mynex" <mynex3@h...> wrote:
                                        > > Or just run it right before release?
                                        >
                                        > There's a good idea. Maybe Bryan could make running the script part
                                        > of his release procedure?
                                        >
                                        > I know he runs ant (and thus probably has perl installed) and the
                                        > script runs very quickly. It can be run either to just find the
                                        > problems, or to automatically fix them.

                                        Is there a parameter setting that determines if it fixes or just
                                        notifies of problems?

                                        -Bryan

                                        > /Jonas
                                      • pjak
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jan 31, 2002
                                          > Is there a parameter setting that determines if it fixes or just
                                          > notifies of problems?

                                          Yep, run it like:

                                          'checklst data' to check all files in the data directory

                                          or:

                                          'checklst --fix data' to fix all the files in the data directory

                                          /Jonas
                                        • gsbingl
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jan 31, 2002
                                            I've removed the spaces in mythicracesraces.lst
                                            For the Artathi, it has been replaced with "by template". This will
                                            cause this text to show on the csheet with FAVOREDLIST but I don't
                                            see this as a problem as before the space was showing up so you got "
                                            , class_name" as the output.

                                            For the Coivald, replaced by CHOOSE:Cleric|Druid which is what the
                                            Coivald Class feat was doing. This required a code change to support.

                                            Byngl

                                            --- In pcgen@y..., "Mynex" <mynex3@h...> wrote:

                                            > Well according to his (Arcady's) notes, the space is required for
                                            racial
                                            > specific feats that assign a favored class.
                                            >
                                            > I've tried them on several occasions, and they work as they are...
                                            >
                                            > So I think adding that .Trim code would probably break these files
                                            and
                                            > any like them. Maybe have it run on everything but race files for
                                            now?
                                            > Or just run it right before release?
                                            >
                                            > Mynex
                                            >
                                            > - #1 Evil assistant to the PCGen Code Monkey (Code Badgerer)
                                            > - PCGen Document & List File Silverback
                                            > - RPG Gateway - Character Generator Software Editor

                                          • lonejedi70
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jan 31, 2002
                                              --- In pcgen@y..., "gsbingl" <byngl@h...> wrote:
                                              > I've removed the spaces in mythicracesraces.lst
                                              > For the Artathi, it has been replaced with "by template". This will
                                              > cause this text to show on the csheet with FAVOREDLIST but I don't
                                              > see this as a problem as before the space was showing up so you
                                              got "
                                              > , class_name" as the output.
                                              >
                                              > For the Coivald, replaced by CHOOSE:Cleric|Druid which is what the
                                              > Coivald Class feat was doing. This required a code change to
                                              support.

                                              > Byngl

                                              Strangely enough, I had made the exact same (almost) code changes at
                                              the exact same time... but went to check it in about 5 minutes after
                                              you had :P The only difference was I didn't bother with the CHOOSE:
                                              part of the tag. But it was fun to see that a couple of us were
                                              diving in at the same time to fix a problem that had come up :)

                                              -Lone Jedi
                                              (Jason)
                                            • gsbingl
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jan 31, 2002
                                                Ahh, but you only thought it was your idea!
                                                Must...tone...down...my...thoughts...World...not...yet...ripe...for...

                                                (reaches for lead-lined helmet)

                                                :)

                                                Byngl

                                                --- In pcgen@y..., "lonejedi70" <lonejedi70@h...> wrote:
                                                > --- In pcgen@y..., "gsbingl" <byngl@h...> wrote:
                                                > > I've removed the spaces in mythicracesraces.lst
                                                > > For the Artathi, it has been replaced with "by template". This
                                                will
                                                > > cause this text to show on the csheet with FAVOREDLIST but I
                                                don't
                                                > > see this as a problem as before the space was showing up so you
                                                > got "
                                                > > , class_name" as the output.
                                                > >
                                                > > For the Coivald, replaced by CHOOSE:Cleric|Druid which is what
                                                the
                                                > > Coivald Class feat was doing. This required a code change to
                                                > support.
                                                > >
                                                > > Byngl
                                                >
                                                > Strangely enough, I had made the exact same (almost) code changes
                                                at
                                                > the exact same time... but went to check it in about 5 minutes
                                                after
                                                > you had :P The only difference was I didn't bother with the
                                                CHOOSE:
                                                > part of the tag. But it was fun to see that a couple of us were
                                                > diving in at the same time to fix a problem that had come up :)
                                                >
                                                > -Lone Jedi
                                                > (Jason)
                                              • lonejedi70
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jan 31, 2002
                                                  And I thought Mynex was the only one who transmitted PCGen code
                                                  thoughts into my head... :P

                                                  -Lone Jedi
                                                  (Jason)

                                                  --- In pcgen@y..., "gsbingl" <byngl@h...> wrote:
                                                  > Ahh, but you only thought it was your idea!

                                                  Must...tone...down...my...thoughts...World...not...yet...ripe...for...

                                                  > (reaches for lead-lined helmet)
                                                  >
                                                  > :)
                                                  >
                                                  > Byngl
                                                • Mynex
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jan 31, 2002
                                                    YEA!! Get out of his head! No using it for a gateway to Mine! That's
                                                    not allowed!!!!
                                                    (Besides, other than coding stuff, not much to see in there ;p)

                                                    Get's out the hot rivet gun to attach that lead lined helmut to Byngl*

                                                    Mynex

                                                    - #1 Evil assistant to the PCGen Code Monkey (Code Badgerer)
                                                    - PCGen Document & List File Silverback
                                                    - RPG Gateway - Character Generator Software Editor

                                                    And I thought Mynex was the only one who transmitted PCGen code
                                                    thoughts into my head... :P

                                                    -Lone Jedi
                                                    (Jason)

                                                    --- In pcgen@y..., "gsbingl" <byngl@h...> wrote:
                                                    > Ahh, but you only thought it was your idea!

                                                    Must...tone...down...my...thoughts...World...not...yet...ripe...for...

                                                    > (reaches for lead-lined helmet)
                                                    >
                                                    > :)
                                                    >
                                                    > Byngl

                                                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor