Names

  • alexquest
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 25, 2002
      Is there any way to include my own new names instead of sticking them in a different folder than my campaign material?
      Also, is there any way to exclude all other names and just includ my own?
    • ortheri
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 26, 2002
        At the moment no. This may be added in the future.

        To exclude all other name list you could just delete all other names
        of the .nam files from the names.lst file. This will be overwritten
        the next time you download though. This is something I am trying to
        fix so you won't need the names.lst file at all.

        Mario

        --- In pcgen@y..., "alexquest" <alexquest@y...> wrote:
        > Is there any way to include my own new names instead of sticking
        them in a different folder than my campaign material?
        > Also, is there any way to exclude all other names and just includ my
        own?
      • kantor_rythmeiger
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 29, 2002
          Hi I'd like to create name files. I know where they are and what they
          look like but I can't find a guide for their syntax. Anyone able to
          help so I can crack on and make some freeware name files?
        • merton_monk
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 29, 2002
            --- In pcgen@y..., "kantor_rythmeiger" <kantor_rythmeiger@y...> wrote:
            > Hi I'd like to create name files. I know where they are and what
            they
            > look like but I can't find a guide for their syntax. Anyone able to
            > help so I can crack on and make some freeware name files?

            That's a good question. If you can't get an answer before tomorrow,
            email me and I'll figure it out for you.

            -Bryan
          • Devon Jones
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 29, 2002
              kantor_rythmeiger wrote:

              > Hi I'd like to create name files. I know where they are and what they
              > look like but I can't find a guide for their syntax. Anyone able to
              > help so I can crack on and make some freeware name files?

              I've been working on a set or real world ones, so I have had to figure
              it out (That, and in CVS, there is a readme) - so, quoting from that:

              [RULES] is a list of rules to create names

              The rest of the tags you may name anything you want.
              You may have up to 5 different ones.

              Every item must be on its own line.

              Quick how to for RULES--

              The number before the rule sets is the number or less needed to roll
              to use that rule set. Max of 100.

              Example

              5 [FULL] = 1-5 roll on FULL list.
              37 [SYL1] [SYL2] = 6-37 roll on syl1 and syl2 and put them together.
              100 [TITLE] [FULL] = 38-100 roll on title and full and put them
              together.

              Each rule set must have its own line and be tabbed, no spaces:

              5(tab)[FULL](tab)[TITLE]

              just like all other list files. the order of the rules, [FULL] [SYL1]
              [TITLE],
              dosen't matter. The generator will combine the them into one word.
              If you want 'spaces' leave a space after (or before) the word.

              So, here is my example:

              // is for comments
              // Note that on a 100 role (which is what it uses)
              // 1-40 will be [GIVEN] [FAMILY]
              // 41-100 will be [GIVEN] [MIDDLE] [FAMILY]
              //
              // Be sure to have a rule that goes all the way up to 100,
              // As PCGen will *ding* at you if it roles something it can't complete
              // Also, it will ding at you if it can't find one of the rule parts (say
              [FAMILY] is used in the
              // [RULES] section, but it is mispelled as [AMILY] where it has the names)

              [RULES]
              40(tab)[GIVEN](tab)[FAMILY]
              100(tab)[GIVEN](tab)[MIDDLE](tab)[FAMILY]

              [GIVEN]
              Bryan
              Keith
              Leopold
              Devon

              [MIDDLE]
              //Note, there is a space before all of these names
              Dodd
              Jorge
              Orion

              [FAMILY]
              //Note, there is a space before all of these names
              Guill
              Vincent
              Jones
              Alnas

              If you want more examples, I have some dead simple ones, as well as some
              REALLY complicated ones based on Gaelic.

              Soulcatcher (Devon Jones)
              soulcatcher@...
            • John Watson
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 29, 2002
                I'm the person to contact for the name file syntax. I'm at work without
                time to respond right now, but I'd be happy to answer any questions you
                might have. There is a README file in the directory with the name files in
                it as a starting point (it's not very clear, I know). The best way to learn
                is to look at the existing ones and see how they are laid out. If you need
                more help than that, I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you might
                have.

                Good luck!
                John

                p.s. Bryan, feel free to point anyone with questions at me, as I am the
                author of the most recent version of that section of code.

                merton_monk writes:

                > --- In pcgen@y..., "kantor_rythmeiger" <kantor_rythmeiger@y...> wrote:
                >> Hi I'd like to create name files. I know where they are and what
                > they
                >> look like but I can't find a guide for their syntax. Anyone able to
                >> help so I can crack on and make some freeware name files?
                >
                > That's a good question. If you can't get an answer before tomorrow,
                > email me and I'll figure it out for you.
                >
                > -Bryan

                > 4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
                > http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/9rHolB/TM

              • John Watson
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 29, 2002
                  Just as a correction: although the README claims a limit of 5 rules/tags,
                  that is not correct. You may have as many rules/tags as you like. If
                  someone with CVS access handy wanted to correct the README (or completely
                  re-write it!), that would be great.

                  John

                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 29, 2002
                    John Watson wrote:

                    > Just as a correction: although the README claims a limit of 5 rules/tags,
                    > that is not correct. You may have as many rules/tags as you like. If
                    > someone with CVS access handy wanted to correct the README (or completely
                    > re-write it!), that would be great.
                    >
                    > John

                    Ahh, I missed that :)

                    Been well past that boundary, the Gaelic names file is up to 15 rules -
                    and I know I could add more if I did more research.

                    Soulcatcher (Devon Jones)
                    soulcatcher@...
                  • ortheri
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 29, 2002
                      I updated the readme.

                      By the way, thanks John for your help on the code.

                      Mario
                    • John K. Watson
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 29, 2002
                        Glad I could help. It's my one small contribution to the epic that is
                        PCGen. Maybe I should put my name in the list of code monkeys some
                        day. :)
                        John

                        p.s. Here is a serious question: The last time I checked, there were
                        random name lists which had been culled from the original mastertools
                        software. Is there any chance that we should pull that names list, or
                        was that data somehow in the public domain?

                        On Thursday, August 29, 2002, at 01:54 PM, ortheri wrote:

                        > I updated the readme.
                        >
                        > By the way, thanks John for your help on the code.
                        >
                        > Mario

                        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • Mynex
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 29, 2002
                          John,

                          I don't think it's really necessary, as there's a ton of names
                          out there, but I don't think it would be prudent to use it without
                          someone's okay... I really don't think there would be a problem, but
                          you never know...

                          Mynex

                          - #1 Evil Assistant to the PCGen Code Monkeys
                          - List files & Documentation Silverback
                          - RPG Reviews Editor & Reviewer

                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 30, 2002
                            --- In pcgen@y..., "Mynex" <mynex@w...> wrote:
                            > I don't think it's really necessary, as there's a ton of names
                            > out there, but I don't think it would be prudent to use it without
                            > someone's okay... I really don't think there would be a problem,
                            but
                            > you never know...

                            Especially given that at least cg_HumanMale.nam contains the names of
                            locations from Greyhawk.

                            [SYL3]
                            of Blackmoor
                            of Dyvers
                            of Ket
                            of the Pomarj
                            of Flinty Hills
                            of Celene
                            of the Rushmoors
                            of Hornwood
                            of Highfolk
                            of Nyrond
                            of Onnwall
                            of Rel Astra
                            of Tusmit
                            of Dreadwood
                            of Greyhawk

                            /Jonas
                          • Devon Jones
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 30, 2002
                              John Watson wrote:

                              > Just as a correction: although the README claims a limit of 5 rules/tags,
                              > that is not correct. You may have as many rules/tags as you like. If
                              > someone with CVS access handy wanted to correct the README (or completely
                              > re-write it!), that would be great.
                              >
                              > John

                              Just curious, as I am doign these Real world Name files, there aer some
                              capabilities that I would kind of like to see in the name generator.
                              Since you own the code, I figure you are the person to ask. Oh, and I
                              am willing to code it if that is your preference.

                              Basically, iof you look at a country like france, there are more then
                              just french names there.

                              Earlier on say ~ 1200's you have alot of French and Frank Names
                              later on, and more to the north, yor are likely to find flemish names in
                              the mix.

                              what I would like to be able to do is this:

                              Have a 1 file for French names, 1 for Frankish & 1 for Flemish

                              be able to have another file that is say Geographical_France_Male_1200.nam:

                              [RULES]
                              20(tab){rw_French_Male.nam}
                              80(tab){rw_Frank_Male.nam}
                              100(tab)[GIVEN](tab)[FAMILY]

                              so from
                              1-20 it would get the name from the file rw_French_Male.nam
                              21-80 from rw_Frank_Male.nam
                              81-100 from the names in this file (Basically added to show that the new
                              tag could be mixed in with others)

                              This would essentially allow name files to be written for only ethnic
                              groups, and then for files to be created to generate names based upon
                              the population of a nation state.

                              how would you feel about this?

                              Another addition I would like to look into is an optional pronounciation
                              guide for names

                              so say we have this:

                              [GIVEN]
                              Ingen\EEN-yen\

                              [FAMILY]
                              Toísech\T*-shehkh\

                              so it would create a name Ingen Toísech, and in another text field it
                              would display the pronounciation as:
                              EEN-yen T*-shehkh

                              -or-
                              Ingen Toísech \EEN-yen T*-shehkh\ shows up in the name field

                              finally, since some names have meaning:
                              [GIVEN]
                              Ingen\EEN-yen\(Daughter of)

                              [FAMILY]
                              Toísech\T*-shehkh\(leader, chief)

                              Ingen Toísech \EEN-yen T*-shehkh\ (Daughter of leader, chief) shows up
                              in the name field
                              -or-
                              (Daughter of leader, chief) shows up in an optional 'Meaning" text field

                              Lemme know what you think of all of this - the highest priority on on
                              here for me is the first one - as Geographical naming is my first goal...

                              Thanks,
                              Soulcatcher (Devon Jones)
                              soulcatcher@...
                            • Larry Theden
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 30, 2002
                                On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:17:57 -0600, you wrote:

                                [snip]

                                >what I would like to be able to do is this:
                                >
                                >Have a 1 file for French names, 1 for Frankish & 1 for Flemish
                                >
                                >be able to have another file that is say Geographical_France_Male_1200.nam:
                                >
                                >[RULES]
                                >20(tab){rw_French_Male.nam}
                                >80(tab){rw_Frank_Male.nam}
                                >100(tab)[GIVEN](tab)[FAMILY]
                                >
                                >so from
                                >1-20 it would get the name from the file rw_French_Male.nam
                                >21-80 from rw_Frank_Male.nam
                                >81-100 from the names in this file (Basically added to show that the new
                                >tag could be mixed in with others)
                                >
                                >This would essentially allow name files to be written for only ethnic
                                >groups, and then for files to be created to generate names based upon
                                >the population of a nation state.
                                >
                                >how would you feel about this?

                                Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your requirements, but why couldn't you
                                do this by breaking down the percentages within one file? What am I
                                missing? (BTW, I love the Gename program, John, thanks!)

                                Would rw_French_Male.nam and rw_Frank_Male.nam both be first names
                                only?

                                Hmm. I seem to have lost the .docs that explain the Gename format and
                                how the percentages work, so I might be overlooking something obvious
                                here. If so, apologies.

                                >Another addition I would like to look into is an optional pronounciation
                                >guide for names

                                Re: pronunciation and meaning guides: Oh! Nifty idea! Wish I'd
                                thought of it. :-)

                                Could you not simply do this with multiple versions of the name files?

                                I.e., when picking your name data file from the list, you'd have
                                something like:

                                rw_French_names.nam
                                rw_French_names-pronounce.nam
                                rw_French_names-meaning.nam

                                The first would just list the names, and the second and third would
                                have the additional data as part of the name elements. I.e., just as
                                you have it below.

                                >so say we have this:
                                >
                                >[GIVEN]
                                >Ingen\EEN-yen\
                                >
                                >[FAMILY]
                                >Toísech\T*-shehkh\
                                >
                                >so it would create a name Ingen Toísech, and in another text field it
                                >would display the pronounciation as:
                                >EEN-yen T*-shehkh

                                By simply incorporating that data into a second file, you'd have it
                                without having to alter the code, I think. Granted, the pronunciation
                                would be right next to each name, rather than separated/out to the
                                side, but I could live with that. In fact, I'm going to shamelessly
                                steal this idea for use in my campaign name files for my players. ;-)

                                Larry
                              • John K. Watson
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 30, 2002
                                  I haven't had a lot of time to think about these requests, but I must
                                  preface it all to say that Mario is really the author of all of this
                                  stuff. I just helped him clean up some bugs and rearranged the code a
                                  little.

                                  So, Larry, I think you're right in saying that you can get the
                                  functionality by combining it into one big name rule file, but I can
                                  also see the advantage of splitting it up. I can see wanting to make a
                                  series of name files which track the evolution of regional names through
                                  time. Now, I know absolutely nothing of French history, (I seem to
                                  recall some sort of revolution. :), but I could see that you would have

                                  Geographical_France_Male_1200.nam
                                  Geographical_France_Male_1400.nam
                                  Geographical_France_Male_1800.nam
                                  Geographical_France_Male_2000.nam
                                  Geographical_France_Male_2200.nam

                                  all of which would have a slightly different mix of Frankish, Flemish,
                                  English, Turkish and Japanese names. The base Frankish names wouldn't
                                  change through time, but the mix of them into the French culture would.

                                  Anyway, I can see it having merit. The pronounciation and translation
                                  guide I can see the merit of, although I would never personally use
                                  them, unless there would be a way to *not* display it on the character
                                  sheet, if you didn't want it. That would require some more complex
                                  changes to the PlayerCharacter and surrounding structure which I'm sure
                                  *I* don't want to tackle at this point in my life. :)

                                  Whew. All that being said, I don't have much time to be working on this
                                  right now, and this is a community project, so anyone can work on the
                                  code. I don't *own* it any more than Mario did/does, although his name
                                  is in it. I'd be happy to give advice as to how I would do the
                                  programming, but I'm not sure that would be wanted or appreciated.

                                  Have fun with it, and let me know off list if/when you make some changes
                                  so I can take a look at what you did.

                                  John

                                  On Friday, August 30, 2002, at 03:18 PM, Larry Theden wrote:

                                  > On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:17:57 -0600, you wrote:
                                  >
                                  > [snip]
                                  >
                                  >> what I would like to be able to do is this:
                                  >>
                                  >> Have a 1 file for French names, 1 for Frankish & 1 for Flemish
                                  >>
                                  >> be able to have another file that is say
                                  >> Geographical_France_Male_1200.nam:
                                  >>
                                  >> [RULES]
                                  >> 20(tab){rw_French_Male.nam}
                                  >> 80(tab){rw_Frank_Male.nam}
                                  >> 100(tab)[GIVEN](tab)[FAMILY]
                                  >>
                                  >> so from
                                  >> 1-20 it would get the name from the file rw_French_Male.nam
                                  >> 21-80 from rw_Frank_Male.nam
                                  >> 81-100 from the names in this file (Basically added to show that the
                                  >> new
                                  >> tag could be mixed in with others)
                                  >>
                                  >> This would essentially allow name files to be written for only ethnic
                                  >> groups, and then for files to be created to generate names based upon
                                  >> the population of a nation state.
                                  >>
                                  >> how would you feel about this?
                                  >
                                  > Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your requirements, but why couldn't you
                                  > do this by breaking down the percentages within one file? What am I
                                  > missing? (BTW, I love the Gename program, John, thanks!)
                                  >
                                  > Would rw_French_Male.nam and rw_Frank_Male.nam both be first names
                                  > only?
                                  <snip>
                                  >> Another addition I would like to look into is an optional
                                  >> pronounciation
                                  >> guide for names
                                  <snip>

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 30, 2002
                                    Larry Theden wrote:

                                    > Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your requirements, but why couldn't you
                                    > do this by breaking down the percentages within one file? What am I
                                    > missing? (BTW, I love the Gename program, John, thanks!)
                                    >
                                    > Would rw_French_Male.nam and rw_Frank_Male.nam both be first names
                                    > only?
                                    >
                                    > Hmm. I seem to have lost the .docs that explain the Gename format and
                                    > how the percentages work, so I might be overlooking something obvious
                                    > here. If so, apologies.

                                    No problem. The reason is duplication.

                                    For example (and these numbers are way inaccurate)
                                    France has a 15% Flemish Population, 80% French Population and a 5%
                                    International population
                                    Belgium has a 70% Flemish Population, 20% German and so on...
                                    The Netherlands has a 30% Flemish Population, 20% German, 10% French &
                                    40% Dutch population

                                    The thing is, names are cultural, based upon your ancestry, NOT the
                                    country of your birth

                                    So if I create 1 flemish file, with all the rules on how to create a
                                    flemish name - then reference it from those countries - well, no
                                    duplicated effort, and all the files are simpler

                                    my file for the country of france would be basically:
                                    15 {rw_Flemish_Male.nam}
                                    95 {rw_French_Male.nam}
                                    100 {rw_Geographical_International_Male.nam}

                                    and what it would do is say on a role of 14, it would open up
                                    rw_Flemish_Male.nam, which has the following rules (Real):

                                    [RULES]
                                    30 [SYL1] [MISC] [SYL2]
                                    40 [SYL1] [DU] [SYL2]
                                    50 [SYL1] [VANDER] [SYL2]
                                    60 [SYL1] [VAN] [SYL2]
                                    70 [SYL1] [DE] [SYL2]
                                    100 [SYL1] [SYL2]

                                    and it would generate the name based upon a new role in this file.

                                    The end result, is that flemish names only need to be in the flemish
                                    file - and any nationality or geographical area can reference that file.

                                    no duplication, and simpler, cleaner files

                                    Note: The reason I want this - is that I want to create geographical
                                    files for my game world. - and my game world has the concept of these
                                    different peoples that make up nation states. With populations crossing
                                    borders in different percents, but consistant naming inside those
                                    populations (which is the way it is in reality).

                                    That, and I think it would be a realitvly small code change that could
                                    result in the future in drastically smaller nam files (some of the ones
                                    I am making are ~ 3k lines - if I duplicate that into 3 or four files...
                                    well, that's like a meg or 2 to the download size)

                                    > >Another addition I would like to look into is an optional pronounciation
                                    > >guide for names
                                    >
                                    > Re: pronunciation and meaning guides: Oh! Nifty idea! Wish I'd
                                    > thought of it. :-)

                                    Thanks :) After doing all this real world stuff, I realized that most
                                    people would be able to pronoiunce about 10% of it.... :)

                                    > Could you not simply do this with multiple versions of the name files?
                                    >
                                    > I.e., when picking your name data file from the list, you'd have
                                    > something like:
                                    >
                                    > rw_French_names.nam
                                    > rw_French_names-pronounce.nam
                                    > rw_French_names-meaning.nam
                                    >
                                    > The first would just list the names, and the second and third would
                                    > have the additional data as part of the name elements. I.e., just as
                                    > you have it below.
                                    >
                                    > >so say we have this:
                                    > >
                                    > >[GIVEN]
                                    > >Ingen\EEN-yen\
                                    > >
                                    > >[FAMILY]
                                    > >Toísech\T*-shehkh\
                                    > >
                                    > >so it would create a name Ingen Toísech, and in another text field it
                                    > >would display the pronounciation as:
                                    > >EEN-yen T*-shehkh
                                    >
                                    > By simply incorporating that data into a second file, you'd have it
                                    > without having to alter the code, I think. Granted, the pronunciation
                                    > would be right next to each name, rather than separated/out to the
                                    > side, but I could live with that. In fact, I'm going to shamelessly
                                    > steal this idea for use in my campaign name files for my players. ;-)

                                    So would the name generator pull the information out of all three at the
                                    same time? how would I get to the pronounciation information from a
                                    name I generate from rw_French_names.nam?

                                    It's an interesting idea, and may work, but we would have to have some
                                    way to link them all.

                                    > Larry

                                    Soulcatcher (Devon Jones)
                                    soulcatcher@...
                                  • Devon Jones
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 30, 2002
                                      John K. Watson wrote:

                                      > I haven't had a lot of time to think about these requests, but I must
                                      > preface it all to say that Mario is really the author of all of this
                                      > stuff. I just helped him clean up some bugs and rearranged the code a
                                      > little.
                                      >
                                      > So, Larry, I think you're right in saying that you can get the
                                      > functionality by combining it into one big name rule file, but I can
                                      > also see the advantage of splitting it up. I can see wanting to make a
                                      > series of name files which track the evolution of regional names through
                                      > time. Now, I know absolutely nothing of French history, (I seem to
                                      > recall some sort of revolution. :), but I could see that you would have
                                      >
                                      > Geographical_France_Male_1200.nam
                                      > Geographical_France_Male_1400.nam
                                      > Geographical_France_Male_1800.nam
                                      > Geographical_France_Male_2000.nam
                                      > Geographical_France_Male_2200.nam
                                      >
                                      > all of which would have a slightly different mix of Frankish, Flemish,
                                      > English, Turkish and Japanese names. The base Frankish names wouldn't
                                      > change through time, but the mix of them into the French culture would.

                                      Exactly - this is preceisly what I would like to do.

                                      > Anyway, I can see it having merit. The pronounciation and translation
                                      > guide I can see the merit of, although I would never personally use
                                      > them, unless there would be a way to *not* display it on the character
                                      > sheet, if you didn't want it. That would require some more complex
                                      > changes to the PlayerCharacter and surrounding structure which I'm sure
                                      > *I* don't want to tackle at this point in my life. :)
                                      >
                                      > Whew. All that being said, I don't have much time to be working on this
                                      > right now, and this is a community project, so anyone can work on the
                                      > code. I don't *own* it any more than Mario did/does, although his name
                                      > is in it. I'd be happy to give advice as to how I would do the
                                      > programming, but I'm not sure that would be wanted or appreciated.
                                      >
                                      > Have fun with it, and let me know off list if/when you make some changes
                                      > so I can take a look at what you did.
                                      >
                                      > John

                                      I'll try to have a patch soon (for the file one), as I think this one
                                      should be easy. mind if I just send it straight to you, I don't have
                                      CVS access ;)

                                      I'll think more on how to successfully do the latter two

                                      thanks,
                                      Soulcatcher (Devon Jones)
                                      soulcatcher@...
                                    • kantor_rythmeiger
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Sep 1, 2002
                                        Ok, I'll try the readme file and see what happens.
                                        If a quick syntax document is built I'd like to read it.