Newbie question

  • korvas_nl
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 14, 2002
      Hi folks,

      I recently discovered PCGen, and while I work out the ins and outs of
      editing customer files, I was wondering if anyone has (or has plans
      to) complete the Oriental Adventures and/or add the Rokugan L5R files?

      Thanks in advance for anyone that has answers.

      Paul
    • pjak
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 14, 2002
        --- In pcgen@y..., "korvas_nl" <korvass@x> wrote:
        > Hi folks,
        >
        > I recently discovered PCGen, and while I work out the ins and outs
        of
        > editing customer files, I was wondering if anyone has (or has plans
        > to) complete the Oriental Adventures and/or add the Rokugan L5R
        files?

        As far as I know oni_nz and rax_the_grey are working on completing
        it, and added some new stuff only a couple of days ago. So, yes, work
        is ongoing.

        /Jonas
      • pjak
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 14, 2002
          --- In pcgen@y..., "pjak" <pjak@y...> wrote:
          > As far as I know oni_nz and rax_the_grey are working on completing
          > it, and added some new stuff only a couple of days ago. So, yes,
          work
          > is ongoing.

          I just moved all the latest stuff from the oa folder to cvs (i.e.
          it'll be in the next release.)

          /Jonas
        • Thomas Clegg
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 14, 2002
            And I am working on the Rokugan stuff when not actually having to do my
            normal work and make money unfortuneately. :-)

            I hope I'll have a lot of it ready in the release after this one.

            Tom

            > --- In pcgen@y..., "pjak" <pjak@y...> wrote:
            > > As far as I know oni_nz and rax_the_grey are working on completing
            > > it, and added some new stuff only a couple of days ago. So, yes,
            > work
            > > is ongoing.
            >
            > I just moved all the latest stuff from the oa folder to cvs (i.e.
            > it'll be in the next release.)
            >
            > /Jonas
          • rax_the_grey
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 14, 2002
              You are correct sir. I should have a batch uploaded sometime today
              with a few more PrCs and some minor corrections to other things.

              rax_the_grey

              --- In pcgen@y..., "pjak" <pjak@y...> wrote:
              > --- In pcgen@y..., "korvas_nl" <korvass@x> wrote:
              > > Hi folks,
              > >
              > > I recently discovered PCGen, and while I work out the ins and
              outs
              > of
              > > editing customer files, I was wondering if anyone has (or has
              plans
              > > to) complete the Oriental Adventures and/or add the Rokugan L5R
              > files?
              >
              > As far as I know oni_nz and rax_the_grey are working on completing
              > it, and added some new stuff only a couple of days ago. So, yes,
              work
              > is ongoing.
              >
              > /Jonas
            • oni_nz
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 14, 2002
                --- In pcgen@y..., "pjak" <pjak@y...> wrote:
                > --- In pcgen@y..., "pjak" <pjak@y...> wrote:
                > > As far as I know oni_nz and rax_the_grey are working on
                completing
                > > it, and added some new stuff only a couple of days ago. So, yes,
                > work
                > > is ongoing.
                >
                > I just moved all the latest stuff from the oa folder to cvs (i.e.
                > it'll be in the next release.)

                Just as a note, the work I've done there is slightly incompleate. I'm
                at work ATM so can't check my notes, I beleive I just need to add the
                fast move for the Blade Dancer.
                There where comments in my file, but I beleive rax combined them, and
                lost the comments.

                P. //* Haven't had a chance to continue, till today, too much work
                and Role Playing... *//
              • Timothy T Murphy
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 17, 2004
                  Hi!

                  I just got PCGen and I'm working on my first character (a 6th lvl Commoner)
                  and I'd like to give her a Sling +1 (a gift from an adventuring friend),
                  but I can't figure out how to and enhancement bonuses to weapons. All I
                  can find is an ordinary sling. I've tried looking under magic items and
                  enhancements, but all I can find is specific named weapons. What am I
                  doing wrong?

                  Merf
                • Stuart Updegrave
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 17, 2004
                    <themerf@...> wrote:
                    > [...]
                    > but I can't figure out how to and enhancement bonuses to weapons. All I
                    > can find is an ordinary sling. I've tried looking under magic items and
                    > enhancements, but all I can find is specific named weapons. What am I
                    > doing wrong?

                    two options here --

                    1) you can set PCGen up to auto-generate magic items; it will do so
                    for +1 to +5, iirc.
                    2) you can right-click an item, select 'Customize' (or similar) and
                    create the custom item you want.

                    hth,

                    cheers,
                    ~stuart
                  • Chris
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 17, 2004
                      > can find is an ordinary sling. I've tried looking under magic

                      You need to right click on the sling and select the option to create a
                      custom item.

                      When the chooser window pops up add Masterwork and the +1. Click the
                      buy button and you should be all set.

                      Barak
                    • Jim
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 18, 2004
                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Timothy T Murphy <themerf@o...> wrote:
                        > Hi!
                        >
                        > I just got PCGen and I'm working on my first character (a 6th lvl
                        Commoner)
                        > and I'd like to give her a Sling +1 (a gift from an adventuring
                        friend),
                        > but I can't figure out how to and enhancement bonuses to weapons.
                        All I
                        > can find is an ordinary sling. I've tried looking under magic
                        items and
                        > enhancements, but all I can find is specific named weapons. What
                        am I
                        > doing wrong?
                        >
                        > Merf

                        Right click the sling and select creat custom item.
                      • Mikael Jansson
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 27, 2007

                          I need help getting started, but I can't find any help for my problem in the PCGen Help, in
                          the online FAQs, or by searching this group. And this has got to be such a newbie question
                          that I am obviously missing something obvious (other than my brain). :-)

                          I start PCGen, I load a Source Material, I then select New from the File menu, and I get an
                          error message stating I should first load source material before I can create a new character.
                          I am looking at my Selected tab right now, where PCGen Open Gaming Content has been
                          loaded ("Y" under Loaded).

                          So... what am I missing (apart from that brain, of course)? :-)

                          Sincerely,

                          Mikael
                        • David R. Bender
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 27, 2007
                            If you are *just* loading the PCGen Open Gaming Content, you are loading
                            only a few pieces of Equipment. You need to load the RSRD complete data
                            (for 3.5) or the SRD complete data (for 3.0) in *addition* to the PCGen
                            Open Gaming Content.

                            -- David
                            Papa-DRB
                            Grognard Extrodianare_1 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grognard>

                            Mikael Jansson wrote:
                            > Hi,
                            >
                            > I need help getting started, but I can't find any help for my problem in the PCGen Help, in
                            > the online FAQs, or by searching this group. And this has got to be such a newbie question
                            > that I am obviously missing something obvious (other than my brain). :-)
                            >
                            > I start PCGen, I load a Source Material, I then select New from the File menu, and I get an
                            > error message stating I should first load source material before I can create a new character.
                            > I am looking at my Selected tab right now, where PCGen Open Gaming Content has been
                            > loaded ("Y" under Loaded).
                            >
                            > So... what am I missing (apart from that brain, of course)? :-)
                            >
                            > Sincerely,
                            >
                            > Mikael
                          • Mikael Jansson
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 27, 2007
                              Yes, that worked. Thank you.

                              Mikael

                              27 sep 2007 kl. 22.14 skrev David R. Bender:

                              > If you are *just* loading the PCGen Open Gaming Content, you are
                              > only a few pieces of Equipment. You need to load the RSRD complete
                              > data
                              > (for 3.5) or the SRD complete data (for 3.0) in *addition* to the
                              > PCGen
                              > Open Gaming Content.
                              >
                              > -- David
                              > Papa-DRB
                              > Grognard Extrodianare_1 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grognard>
                              >
                              > Mikael Jansson wrote:
                              > > Hi,
                              > >
                              > > I need help getting started, but I can't find any help for my
                              > problem in the PCGen Help, in
                              > > the online FAQs, or by searching this group. And this has got to
                              > be such a newbie question
                              > > that I am obviously missing something obvious (other than my
                              > brain). :-)
                              > >
                              > > I start PCGen, I load a Source Material, I then select New from
                              > the File menu, and I get an
                              > > error message stating I should first load source material before
                              > I can create a new character.
                              > > I am looking at my Selected tab right now, where PCGen Open
                              > Gaming Content has been
                              > > loaded ("Y" under Loaded).
                              > >
                              > > So... what am I missing (apart from that brain, of course)? :-)
                              > >
                              > > Sincerely,
                              > >
                              > > Mikael

                            • Tir Gwaith
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 27, 2007
                                You have to have enough objects loaded to create a character.

                                Try loading with the Basics or Core Rulebook I datasets.

                                PCGen LST Chimp
                              • Mark & Kai
                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 8, 2010
                                  I've downloaded and installed PCGen. It opens fine. But no matter what I do, I can't get the source files to show up in the GUI.

                                  I've followed the instructions in the PCGEN Documentation web pages, but according to that the list of available sources should show up so I can select which ones I want to include. It doesn't.

                                  What do I have to do?

                                  I'm running OpenSuse 11.2 if that makes a difference.
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010

                                    Hm, some of the linux distros have had a java issue. I believe if you install Sun Java that might
                                    help. We've also have a tracker to try and figure out what is truly going on. If you are able to
                                    assist tracking down the issue, we'd appreciate it.

                                    Beyond that I don't know anything else that might help. Not a linux guru myself.

                                    Hopefully another linux type can jump on and give some help as well.

                                    Cheers,

                                    On 10/8/2010 10:10 PM, Mark & Kai wrote:
                                    > I've downloaded and installed PCGen. It opens fine. But no matter what I do, I can't get the source files to show up in the GUI.
                                    >
                                    > I've followed the instructions in the PCGEN Documentation web pages, but according to that the list of available sources should show up so I can select which ones I want to include. It doesn't.
                                    >
                                    > What do I have to do?
                                    >
                                    > I'm running OpenSuse 11.2 if that makes a difference.

                                    > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

                                    Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                                  • Martijn Verburg
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010
                                      What version of PCGen and Java are you running? And where do you have it
                                      installed to? Also when it first started where did you specify for your
                                      PCGen directory to be?

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010
                                        I've got version 5.16.3 of PCGen, and I'm running java version 1.6.0_18
                                        (OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8.1) (suse-1.1.3-i386)
                                        OpenJDK Client VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode).

                                        I have PCGen in its own directory in my home folder.

                                        > What version of PCGen and Java are you running? And where do you have it
                                        > installed to? Also when it first started where did you specify for your
                                        > PCGen directory to be?
                                      • Terry Milnes
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010
                                          OpenJDK and PC-Gen (IIRC) do not work together. Use Sun's(ORACLE) JAVA
                                          implementation.

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010

                                            The OpenJDK, is the issue. We have another group investigating what is broken in the OpenJDK.
                                            You'll need to add SunJava to get things to work properly. Sorry for the inconvenience there.

                                            If you look for the subject 'OpenJDK & PCGen' starting on 6'6'2010 through 9'28'2010. That outlines
                                            the existing issues.

                                            On 10/9/2010 3:50 PM, Mark & Kai wrote:
                                            > I've got version 5.16.3 of PCGen, and I'm running java version 1.6.0_18
                                            > (OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8.1) (suse-1.1.3-i386)
                                            > OpenJDK Client VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode).
                                            >
                                            > I have PCGen in its own directory in my home folder.
                                            >
                                            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Martijn Verburg<martijnverburg@...> wrote:
                                            >> What version of PCGen and Java are you running? And where do you have it
                                            >> installed to? Also when it first started where did you specify for your
                                            >> PCGen directory to be?

                                            > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

                                            Data Chimp, Docs Tamarin

                                          • Stefan Radermacher
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010
                                              I can confirm that with OpenJDK/IcedTea, PCGen does not find its sources. I
                                              just tired that recently with all the most recent versions, but there seems to
                                              be some kind of incompatibility. I'm not sure if it's OpenJDK's or PCGen's
                                              fault, though.

                                              Stefan.

                                              On Sunday 10 October 2010 00:50:51 Mark & Kai wrote:
                                              > I've got version 5.16.3 of PCGen, and I'm running java version 1.6.0_18
                                              > (OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8.1) (suse-1.1.3-i386)
                                              > OpenJDK Client VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode).
                                              >
                                              > I have PCGen in its own directory in my home folder.
                                              >
                                              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@...> wrote:
                                              > > What version of PCGen and Java are you running? And where do you have it
                                              > > installed to? Also when it first started where did you specify for your
                                              > > PCGen directory to be?

                                              > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/
                                              > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:

                                            • Mark & Kai
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Oct 9, 2010
                                                Well, I went into YAST and added the Sun version of Java (and the plug-in), then deleted the OpenJDK version. And...now PCGEN is showing me the source files. Yay!

                                                That was a lot less painful than I feared it would be. Thanks!