Exporting to PDF

  • og_magistus
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 4, 2002
      I like the PDF export, but does anyone have any other PDF templates
      for single chracater exporting, maybe one like Rog_Combined?
    • Damian
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 4, 2002
        Ditto.  the bit 4 (or is it 6) page one is my preference.  I like lots of info and room.

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 4, 2002
          sorry, garbled that one.  that should be "big 4 (or is it 6) page one"
          Ditto.  the bit 4 (or is it 6) page one is my preference.  I like lots of info and room.
        • backlash_de
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 5, 2002
            --- In pcgen@y..., "og_magistus" <jml@q...> wrote:
            > I like the PDF export, but does anyone have any other PDF templates
            > for single chracater exporting, maybe one like Rog_Combined?

            Sorry, I believe there's only this one.

            It took me REALLY long to do that ...
            and I haven't had the time/possibility to play DnD more than 3 or
            maybe 4 times since it came out, so I'm lacking some experience
            considering useful fields on the csheets ...

            If you have some useful suggestions, I'm always glad to hear that -
            I'll incorporate such things as soon as I can find the time ...

            Or, better yet, why don't you try to do a xsl-fo template yourself?
            It's not very difficult (I did much of it "try and error"-style,
            especially layout) and I'm sure there'd a lot of thankful users - me
            included.

            Kinson
          • Mynex
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 5, 2002
              Well, since you have the experience now :p, how hard do you think it
              would be to convert ROG's sheets over? They're already done, so I would
              imagine you would need to copy the format/tokens into whatever you did
              to make the 1st one (and probably much easier now that you've done it
              once. ;p)

              Just a thought. :D

              Mynex
              - Dark Sith Silverback Android, Dark Lord of the Docs, The Sleepless One
              > I like the PDF export, but does anyone have any other PDF templates
              > for single chracater exporting, maybe one like Rog_Combined?

              Sorry, I believe there's only this one.

              It took me REALLY long to do that ...
              and I haven't had the time/possibility to play DnD more than 3 or
              maybe 4 times since it came out, so I'm lacking some experience
              considering useful fields on the csheets ...

              If you have some useful suggestions, I'm always glad to hear that -
              I'll incorporate such things as soon as I can find the time ...

              Or, better yet, why don't you try to do a xsl-fo template yourself?
              It's not very difficult (I did much of it "try and error"-style,
              especially layout) and I'm sure there'd a lot of thankful users - me
              included.

              Kinson

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Damian
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 5, 2002
                actually, i have a WONDERFUL sheet designed by a friend of mine.  I'd LOVE to be able to strip out the background and such, cause it takes a lot of ink to print, but it's got a TON of usefull info.  It IS pdf however, so i can't change it.  i'll be happy to forward it to somone who at least knows what xsl-fo is.  : )
                > I like the PDF export, but does anyone have any other PDF templates
                > for single chracater exporting, maybe one like Rog_Combined?

                Sorry, I believe there's only this one.

                It took me REALLY long to do that ...
                and I haven't had the time/possibility to play DnD more than 3 or
                maybe 4 times since it came out, so I'm lacking some experience
                considering useful fields on the csheets ...

                If you have some useful suggestions, I'm always glad to hear that -
                I'll incorporate such things as soon as I can find the time ...

                Or, better yet, why don't you try to do a xsl-fo template yourself?
                It's not very difficult (I did much of it "try and error"-style,
                especially layout) and I'm sure there'd a lot of thankful users - me
                included.

                Kinson

              • lonejedi70
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 5, 2002
                  --- In pcgen@y..., "Damian" <damian@c...> wrote:
                  > actually, i have a WONDERFUL sheet designed by a friend of mine.
                  I'd LOVE
                  > to be able to strip out the background and such, cause it takes a
                  lot of ink
                  > to print, but it's got a TON of usefull info. It IS pdf however,
                  so i can't
                  > change it. i'll be happy to forward it to somone who at least
                  knows what
                  > xsl-fo is. : )

                  It sounds pretty cool, at any rate... Can you go ahead and post it
                  as-is to Files\New Character Sheets here on the Yahoo! Group? I'm
                  sure there are several people around who would be up to taking a
                  crack at it (though I have Mynex-tasks to attend to :P )

                  -Lone Jedi
                  (Jason)
                • backlash_de
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 6, 2002
                    --- In pcgen@y..., "Mynex" <mynex3@h...> wrote:
                    > Well, since you have the experience now :p, how hard do you think it
                    > would be to convert ROG's sheets over? They're already done, so I
                    > would imagine you would need to copy the format/tokens into
                    > whatever you did to make the 1st one (and probably much easier now
                    > that you've done it once. ;p)
                    >
                    > Just a thought. :D
                    >
                    > Mynex
                    > - Dark Sith Silverback Android, Dark Lord of the Docs,
                    > The Sleepless One

                    Actually, I think it still would take a LONG time - maybe a week or
                    so, if I coded nothing else ...
                    The problem is not the tokens but the format ...
                    In XSL-FO you need to specify almost every aspect of your layout, for
                    example, you have to specify column widths explicitly for each and
                    all columns and there is no such thing as vertical alignment like
                    valign="bla" in html, you have to insert empty rows or manual
                    spaces ... and some are rubber lengths others aren't ...

                    I am no XSLT-, XSL-FO-crack, so it really takes a long time for me to
                    get things like that done nicely.

                    You can believe me, I really long to have that XML conversion.
                    If we had a sound and sophisticated XML for PCs, we could do our
                    templates in XSLT and then use Xalan or so to produce HTML or XSL-FO
                    from one and the same template ...

                    Anyways, I don't see me doing csheet conversion in the near future
                    for several reasons:
                    1. My courses at university start again tomorrow.
                    2. There are some bugs in pcgen, which I deem much more important:
                    AC is still not calculated right (which I think is a major bug)
                    Attack boni are false sometimes
                    I'm not sure if I will tackle those things or if I was up to them
                    anyways ... but I guess I will try.
                    What is the point of using pcgen, if it can't do AC and attack stuff
                    right - those are two of the most important numbers when you play.
                    (Or do you guys have really many sessions without a single fight?)

                    Kinson
                  • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 29, 2005
                      Um, you are trying this with the pcgen_high_mem.bat, right? You basically won't get a PDF output without that..

                      Tir Gwaith
                      LST Chimp

                      > I have downloaded pcgen594_full.zip from Sourceforge, and am trying to
                      > Export to PDF selecting the C:\Documents and Settings\David Bender\My
                      > Documents\Plambert\pcgen594\outputsheets\d20\fantasy\pdf\csheet_fantasy_simp
                      > le_blackandwhite.xlst sheet.
                      >
                      > I walked away and came back several *hours* later and the export dialog
                      > stilll said "rendering".
                      >
                      > There were some "replacing something with somethingelse messages" but no
                      > real errors that I could identify.
                      >
                      > Is there something else that I need to download?
                      >
                      > -- david
                      > Papa-DRB
                    • David
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 29, 2005
                        With my own version but the java command is:

                        java -jar -Xms128m -Xmx512m pcgen.jar

                        -- david

                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 30, 2005
                          Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 30, 2005
                            I've experienced the same problem.
                            5.9.4 using the hi-mem.bat with modifications

                            java -Xms256m -Xmx384m -jar pcgen.jar

                            It just freezes on the "rendering" with no progress.
                            Nothing in the command window showing activity

                            -Andrew Maitland

                            ---
                            Virus Database (VPS): 0548-0, 11/29/2005
                            Tested on: 11/30/2005 2:36:20 PM

                          • James Dempsey
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 30, 2005
                              Hi,

                              On 01/12/05, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:
                              > I've experienced the same problem.
                              > 5.9.4 using the hi-mem.bat with modifications
                              >
                              > java -Xms256m -Xmx384m -jar pcgen.jar
                              >
                              > It just freezes on the "rendering" with no progress.
                              > Nothing in the command window showing activity

                              Check for an ampersand & in your desciption tab. This can cause the
                              same behaviour.

                              James Dempsey
                              PCGen Code Gibbon
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 30, 2005
                                No luck there. I tried on pre-existing sheets that haven't had any
                                problems before, and are ampersand clear in the description tab. It may
                                be in the auto build I grabbed a couple days ago, not sure though. I
                                know it was working before...

                                Thanks,
                                Andrew

                                Hi,

                                On 01/12/05, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:
                                > I've experienced the same problem.
                                > 5.9.4 using the hi-mem.bat with modifications
                                >
                                > java -Xms256m -Xmx384m -jar pcgen.jar
                                >
                                > It just freezes on the "rendering" with no progress.
                                > Nothing in the command window showing activity

                                Check for an ampersand & in your desciption tab. This can cause the
                                same behaviour.

                                James Dempsey
                                PCGen Code Gibbon

                                ---
                                Virus Database (VPS): 0548-0, 11/29/2005
                                Tested on: 11/30/2005 3:49:03 PM

                              • Reed Thornton
                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 1, 2005
                                  On 11/30/05, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:

                                  > No luck there. I tried on pre-existing sheets that haven't had any
                                  > problems before, and are ampersand clear in the description tab. It may
                                  > be in the auto build I grabbed a couple days ago, not sure though. I
                                  > know it was working before...
                                  >
                                  > Thanks,
                                  > Andrew

                                  I seem to recall something recent about various token being "plugin-ized"
                                  which puts functionality in a seperate .jar file. I don't know if these new
                                  plugins are included in the autobuild process.

                                  Reed