Choose

  • jamesblakeney
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 29, 2001
      I got a question. Instead of having a choose pop up, is there a way to
      specify what you want? I mean the toughness feat never change so why I
      gotta pick the 3 hp each and every time? :) I rather specify it in my
      prestige class and not having to deal with a popup window.
    • Mark Hulsman
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 29, 2001
        > I got a question. Instead of having a choose pop up, is there a way to
        > specify what you want? I mean the toughness feat never change so why I
        > gotta pick the 3 hp each and every time? :) I rather specify it in my
        > prestige class and not having to deal with a popup window.

        Well you have to have the pop up eac time for toughness because apparently
        any feat that can be taken multiple times has to have a choose. If we could
        add a little functionality to choose so that if it only had one choice it
        would automatically take tht one it would be really good.
      • gsbingl
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 30, 2001
          The choose pop up needs to be there in case you want to get rid of a
          selected feat.

          --- In pcgen@y..., "Mark Hulsman" <hulsmanm@p...> wrote:
          > > I got a question. Instead of having a choose pop up, is there a
          way to
          > > specify what you want? I mean the toughness feat never change so
          why I
          > > gotta pick the 3 hp each and every time? :) I rather specify it
          in my
          > > prestige class and not having to deal with a popup window.
          >
          > Well you have to have the pop up eac time for toughness because
          apparently
          > any feat that can be taken multiple times has to have a choose. If
          we could
          > add a little functionality to choose so that if it only had one
          choice it
          > would automatically take tht one it would be really good.
        • Keith Davies
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 31, 2001
            gsbingl wrote on Sun Dec 30 23:49:53 2001:

            > The choose pop up needs to be there in case you want to get rid of a
            > selected feat.

            FWIW, in conversation with folks from WotC, if you take a feat that is
            later granted by a class you take, you just have to suck it up. For
            instance, taking 'Martial Weapon Proficiency' as a rogue, say, then
            later taking a level of fighter, does not free up the slot previously
            assigned to MWP.

            Just thought I'd mention it -- AFAIK the rules do not allow removal of
            earlier-selected feats just because a class you take, or other special
            benefit, grants you that feat as a benefit.

            Keith
            --
            Keith Davies
            kjdavies@...

            Elarios: "Shade, you showed honor and mercy
            "Raven, you were couragous beyond expectation
            "Logan, you resisted the temptation of knowledge."

            Logan: "That's... good, right?"
          • gsbingl
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 31, 2001
              Regardless of that, you need to supply the user with the ability to
              get rid of a feat, if only for the simple "Oops, I clicked the wrong
              feat...whatta mean I have to recreate my character from scratch?". I
              quite often remove feats when I am first creating a character, before
              I've actually played in a game with it. Even the CG demo allowed
              removal of feats, and that was WotC sanctioned.

              Byngl

              --- In pcgen@y..., Keith Davies <kjdavies@t...> wrote:
              > gsbingl wrote on Sun Dec 30 23:49:53 2001:
              > >
              > > The choose pop up needs to be there in case you want to get rid
              of a
              > > selected feat.
              >
              > FWIW, in conversation with folks from WotC, if you take a feat that
              is
              > later granted by a class you take, you just have to suck it up. For
              > instance, taking 'Martial Weapon Proficiency' as a rogue, say, then
              > later taking a level of fighter, does not free up the slot
              previously
              > assigned to MWP.
              >
              > Just thought I'd mention it -- AFAIK the rules do not allow removal
              of
              > earlier-selected feats just because a class you take, or other
              special
              > benefit, grants you that feat as a benefit.
              >

              > Keith
              > --
              > Keith Davies
              > kjdavies@t...
              > http://a1a90975.sympatico.bconnected.net/kjdavies
              >
              > Elarios: "Shade, you showed honor and mercy
              > "Raven, you were couragous beyond expectation
              > "Logan, you resisted the temptation of knowledge."
              >
              > Logan: "That's... good, right?"
            • merton_monk
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 31, 2001
                --- In pcgen@y..., "gsbingl" <byngl@h...> wrote:
                > Regardless of that, you need to supply the user with the ability to
                > get rid of a feat, if only for the simple "Oops, I clicked the
                wrong
                > feat...whatta mean I have to recreate my character from scratch?".
                > quite often remove feats when I am first creating a character,
                before
                > I've actually played in a game with it. Even the CG demo allowed
                > removal of feats, and that was WotC sanctioned.
                >
                > Byngl

                Maybe a solution to this would be to have Feats that are multiple,
                yet only have one 'choice' (like Toughness) to auto-add one selection
                every time you double-click on it in the "available" table, and
                remove one selection every time you double-click on it in
                the "selected" table. Since the "selected" table lists all the
                choices you can easily determine how many times you already have it.
                This wouldn't be in my immediate changes, but certainly would be very
                do-able.

                -Bryan
              • Mark Hulsman
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 31, 2001
                  > Maybe a solution to this would be to have Feats that are multiple,
                  > yet only have one 'choice' (like Toughness) to auto-add one selection
                  > every time you double-click on it in the "available" table, and
                  > remove one selection every time you double-click on it in
                  > the "selected" table. Since the "selected" table lists all the
                  > choices you can easily determine how many times you already have it.
                  > This wouldn't be in my immediate changes, but certainly would be very
                  > do-able.

                  Yeah thats what I was thinking about. If there is only one choice for any
                  choose, just have the chooser automatically select that one choice without
                  poping up.
                • Peter Walker
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 31, 2001
                    If you have a look at the Psionics handbook feat inner strength in pcgen it
                    can show you one way to do this.

                    Basically there are nine inner strength feats each with Mult=No, stack=yes
                    and the previous one as a prerequisite. By doing this there is only ever
                    one inner strength available to choose from.

                    Peter

                    --On Monday, December 31, 2001 8:15 PM +0000 merton_monk
                    <merton_monk@...> wrote:

                    > Maybe a solution to this would be to have Feats that are multiple,
                    > yet only have one 'choice' (like Toughness) to auto-add one selection
                    > every time you double-click on it in the "available" table, and
                    > remove one selection every time you double-click on it in
                    > the "selected" table. Since the "selected" table lists all the
                    > choices you can easily determine how many times you already have it.
                    > This wouldn't be in my immediate changes, but certainly would be very
                    > do-able.
                    >
                    > -Bryan

                  • Scott Ellsworth
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 31, 2001
                      On Monday, December 31, 2001, at 12:33 AM, Keith Davies wrote:

                      > gsbingl wrote on Sun Dec 30 23:49:53 2001:
                      >> The choose pop up needs to be there in case you want to get rid of a
                      >> selected feat.
                      >
                      > FWIW, in conversation with folks from WotC, if you take a feat that is
                      > later granted by a class you take, you just have to suck it up.

                      On the other hand, it is really easy to miss-click, or to select a feat
                      that the DM does not, for his own reasons, allow in the game. If we did
                      not have such a UI, then people would get to regenerate their character
                      from scratch.

                      A paper sheet would just have to have an eraser applied to it.

                      A system like "no changing once you level up" does not help the hapless
                      DM creating a character in a massive frenzy, where he may level up a few
                      times and then select feats.

                      So, even if WOTC does not allow it for real characters, we have to allow
                      it for typos and changes.

                      Scott
                      scott@...
                    • Keith Davies
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 31, 2001
                        Scott Ellsworth wrote on Mon Dec 31 14:56:05 2001:

                        > On Monday, December 31, 2001, at 12:33 AM, Keith Davies wrote:
                        >
                        > > gsbingl wrote on Sun Dec 30 23:49:53 2001:
                        > >> The choose pop up needs to be there in case you want to get rid of a
                        > >> selected feat.
                        > >
                        > > FWIW, in conversation with folks from WotC, if you take a feat that is
                        > > later granted by a class you take, you just have to suck it up.
                        >
                        > On the other hand, it is really easy to miss-click, or to select a feat
                        > that the DM does not, for his own reasons, allow in the game. If we did
                        > not have such a UI, then people would get to regenerate their character
                        > from scratch.
                        >
                        > A paper sheet would just have to have an eraser applied to it.
                        >
                        > A system like "no changing once you level up" does not help the hapless
                        > DM creating a character in a massive frenzy, where he may level up a few
                        > times and then select feats.
                        >
                        > So, even if WOTC does not allow it for real characters, we have to allow
                        > it for typos and changes.

                        That makes sense. I understood that could be done on the Feat tab; I
                        thought it would be redundant and unnecessary here, which is why I
                        commented on it... it sounded like the earlier poster was suggesting that
                        it was useful to allow players to remove selected feats when they were
                        later granted as virtual or bonus feats on selecting a new class or
                        reaching a particular level -- which goes against what I understand from
                        WotC.

                        Minor rules point, that's all...

                        Keith
                        --
                        Keith Davies
                        kjdavies@...
                        http://a1a90975.sympatico.bconnected.net/kjdavies

                        Elarios: "Shade, you showed honor and mercy
                        "Raven, you were couragous beyond expectation
                        "Logan, you resisted the temptation of knowledge."

                        Logan: "That's... good, right?"
                      • Brass Tilde
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 1, 2002

                          Though it sdhould be noted that some classes that confer feats also provide
                          for an alternative in the event the PC already has the feat. The Weapon
                          Master and Improved Critical come to mind.

                          Brass

                        • gsbingl
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 1, 2002
                            I just love being misquoted out of context. My comment was a response
                            to the following:

                          • Keith Davies
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 1, 2002
                              Brass Tilde wrote on Tue Jan 1 05:51:41 2002:

> [...]

                              Oh boy! Make things *more* complicated! <g>

                              Keith