Re: SRD Updated

  • Rodney Cherry
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2001
      ARG ARG ARG. I can copy the SRD verbatim, I can sell it, I can chop it up,
      I can dice and slice it. The entire body of the SRD material marked
      Released is OGC. I can do anything I want with it privately or commercially
      as long as the OGL is with it and I dont claim it as my own body of work. I
      can take the stupid rtf files of all the official released SRD material.
      Print it out exactly as it is and sell it. And keep all the money from
      selling it. I can take it and publish it with my own material. As long as I
      make sure to show that the SRD material is OGC and that I dont own it.
      Whether or not the rest of my published material complies with the laws is
      a different matter and is not what I am talking about.

      THATS ALL THERE IS TO IT. I didnt say its public domain, I said its use can
      be considered as such. AS LONG AS I DONT CLAIM I OWN IT.

      Dont read between the lines, dont over think it. I am not saying it should
      or shouldn't be used in PCGEN. I am not arguing Bryans stand on the use of
      SRD in PCGen. I am stating what WotC themselves have stated about the SRD
      material. I am stating that it COULD be used in PCGen and that it isn't the
      thing to be worried about when thinking of copyright/trademark/product
      identity problems with PCGen.

      Somebody said it would be nice to have some type of file with the SRD
      material that pcgen could read data from. I was pointing out that they
      could and from a legal point it wouldnt matter.

      No lawyer-ize here. Dont come back and try acting like a lawyer and break
      my statements down. Theres nothing to break down. I am not talking about
      logos or trademarks or anything like that. I am talking about the
      officially released SRD material.

      Ok so I bit the bait and snagged the hook, I dont care. Like others I am
      tired of all the back-room lawyer stuff, which was a point I was trying to
      make. Which I failed to do it seems. Its so simple, yet people want to make
      it complicated.
    • Benjamin Pew
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 3, 2001
        Please leave an option to not have this information. I don't want my
        character sheets cluttered up with the entire text of the books pertaining
        to my abilities and feats. Either make two copies of the list files, or if
        there's a programmatic way of including it, provide a way to turn it off.