RE: [pcgen] Unarmed Strike...again...

  • Richard O'Doherty-Gregg
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2001
      > csheetROG.htm shows Unarmed Strike as a weapon, but it's WAYYYYYY at
      >the end of the list (because of the alphabetizing issue).
      > Is there anything I can do about this? I really like the ROG
      >format, as it's got the info laid out the way I want it.

      Ah, this old chestnut :-)

      When someone suggested making the equipment lists alphabetical I asked
      that they not touch the order for the weapon and armour lists, but alas
      they became alphabetical as well.

      My reasoning was, that atleast a user had some control over what order
      the weapons appeared in (by adding and removing them you can get the one
      you wanted to the top) and therefore have you favoured weapons at the
      top etc.

      Alas, I wasn't heard, and they've all been alphabetical for quite
      sometime (6+ months).

      I'm sure someone else will complain if this feature is now taken away,
      so I think we're stuck with it :-)

      -ROG
    • Kurt Wimmer
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2001

        Again, this is where it would be nice if there was a method by which you could provide options to use on the sheet from within PCGen.  So on export page have a sidebar with options for the selected export-csheet.  So on ROGs you could have a side bar with:
           [] Alphabetical order for equipment
           [] Alphabetical order for .....
        or perhaps even....
           [Order for equipment]  <-- drop down box:
                Alphabetical, Reversed, unordered, bought...
                or whatever else one could manage to have

        I'm sure there are other options one could come up with...

        How to do this?
        Perhaps have a little 'plugin' type of thing for csheets, have the chseet maker (or someone for them) a java 'applet' that gets loaded into the sidebar of the export tab.  How to have the sheet change... not sure, presumably javascript can handle this, just means larger sheets as you would have to have all options included in the sheet.  OR... have your sheet broekn into its component pieces then 'sticth' them together with the java applet into the actual sheet being exported to.

        ROG:
        Comp#1:  Character Info Section
        Comp#2:  Ability Scores
        Comp#3:  AC bar
        Comp#4:  Initiative bar
        Comp#5:  modifiers bar  [spell failure etc]
        Comp#6:  BAB
        Comp#7:  Attack modifiers
        and so on...
        Comp#8:  Compact Weapon List  [one table, each weapon an entry]
        Comp#9:  Full Weapon List  [the table for each weapon]
        Comp#10:  Super compact skill list  [3-columned table, sub-tables for skills]
        Comp#11:  Compat skill list [2-columned table, sub-tables for skills, more info per skill]
        Comp#12:  Skill list [table, each skill a row, all info available]
        blah blah blah....

        We talked about this (or rather something similar) once before...

        Kurt

      • merton_monk@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2001
          My intention is to make a column available on every table which
          indicates what index each item would have listed on your character
          sheet. It would default to alphabetical order, but you could then
          modify it to your heart's content. That won't be part of the GUI
          revamp, though the people that will be doing the coding of each of
          the tabs can certainly add it if they so desire, but certainly would
          be near the top of the GUI list after the revamp is complete. Just as
          a side note we are trying to cut down on the number of columns
          displayed on each table so you don't have to scroll so much
          horizontally. Might make this 'index' column an optional column -
          it's only visible so you can modify it if you really want to do so -
          otherwise it will display everything in alphabetical order which is
          what I think most people would like.

          -Bryan

          --- In pcgen@y..., Kurt Wimmer <kwimmer@r...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > >format, as it's got the info laid out the way I want it.
          > >
          > > Ah, this old chestnut :-)
          > >
          > > When someone suggested making the equipment lists alphabetical I
          asked
          > > that they not touch the order for the weapon and armour lists,
          but alas
          > > they became alphabetical as well.
          > >
          > > My reasoning was, that atleast a user had some control over what
          order
          > > the weapons appeared in (by adding and removing them you can get
          the one
          > > you wanted to the top) and therefore have you favoured weapons at
          the
          > > top etc.
          > >
          > > Alas, I wasn't heard, and they've all been alphabetical for quite
          > > sometime (6+ months).
          > >
          > > I'm sure someone else will complain if this feature is now taken

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=178320.1681224.3270152.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
          05016061:HM/A=879172/R=0/*http://www.fastweb.com/ib/yahoo-75f>

          Service