Re: SRD Updated - no need to make feats and SA cryptic

  • zebuleon@peoplepc.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2001
      > If we become OGL compliant, then we definitely can rejoice. Main
      > block to that is that I think a lot of the sources we use claim the
      > names of feats, classes, etc. as Product Identity. That means in
      > order to be OGL-compliant we couldn't use the names of those things.

      Exactly, everything Wotc publishes is NOT OGL. The only stuff that is
      OGL is the stuff they put in the SRD. Which means no Dragon mags, no
      sword and fist, no Star Wars. This also goes for other companies as
      well. If we use anything that is not specificly stated as OGL we
      would be in breach of contract and subject accordingly. At present,
      especially with the recent changes to the license, the is no way for a
      character generating program to be OGL compliant. Thats one of the
      reasons Master Tools is having problems, and the man now in charge of
      it is the same man in charge of the OGL. But because we are not
      charging and we are small they are ignoring us for the moment.

      Mario
    • Rodney Cherry
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2001
        I think people are missing the point of what the SRD and OGC is and what
        being OGL compliant is.

        Using the SRD has nothing to do with being OGL compliant. It is completely
        OGC, void of any product identity. I can take any material marked OGC and
        use it however I see fit. OGC merely means that I have no legal claims to
        the material and that no other person or company can claim legal action
        against me for using it. For all intents and purposes the SRD is public
        domain from a legal stand point. I could even publish the SRD verbatim and
        make money off it(why someone would pay for it is another matter). Note
        though that the SRD does not include any information about character
        creation or gaining levels or experience points. Because that is copyright
        of WotC. That of itself makes PCGen a copyright infringement. You could
        take all the official SRD material, package them up in whatever form you
        wish with PCGen and nobody would have a legal claim against you for doing
        so. Any legal claims would be from the fact that you show people how to
        generate a character and of course all the other copyright material being
        used, not the SRD material.
      • user@domain.org
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 1, 2001
          --- In pcgen@y..., Rodney Cherry <rodac@S...> wrote:
          > I think people are missing the point of what the SRD and OGC is and what
          > being OGL compliant is.

          Indeed. You seem to be among them. But, before I go about explaining, let me say:

          I am not a lawyer, if you plan on basing your life decisions on anything about this subject, GO SEE A REAL LAWYER. Just because many gamers tend to be rules-lawyers doesn't mean they're qualified to be real lawyers. Further, just because many gamers think they understand license, copyright, patent, and trademark law doesn't mean they actually do. That's what real lawyers are for.

          > Using the SRD has nothing to do with being OGL compliant. It is completely
          > OGC, void of any product identity. I can take any material marked OGC and
          > use it however I see fit. OGC merely means that I have no legal claims to
          > the material and that no other person or company can claim legal action
          > against me for using it. For all intents and purposes the SRD is public
          > domain from a legal stand point.

          No.

          1) the SRD is not public domain from a legal standpoint. That's not what OGC means.

          2) Further, because it has been released to you under the OGL, you _MUST_ use the OGL to pass the material on to others, because that's what the OGL says you must do. If the material was public domain, you wouldn't have that obligation.

          3) Yes, there are no restrictions on how you use the SRD _for_yourself_. But there are restrictions on what you can do with it if you decide to _distribute_ it to others. That's what the OGL is all about. No one can control what you do with it for personal use, but they have quite about of control over what you can do with it if you decide to give/sell/etc. it to other people. That's where the OGL comes into play.

          > Note
          > though that the SRD does not include any information about character
          > creation or gaining levels or experience points. Because that is
          > copyright
          > of WotC. That of itself makes PCGen a copyright infringement.

          No. The specific text in the PHB and DMG which covers character creation, experience, etc. are copyrighted by WOTC, yes, but that doesn't have any affect at all upon PCGen. Further, the OGL does not have any restriction at all with regard to these items.

          The restriction on those things is not in the SRD nor the OGL. It's in the d20STL. So, as long as you don't use any of the d20 system logos, you don't have to worry about that restriction.

          That means PCGen is not in violation of any copyright as long as it doesn't duplicate the specific text of the PHB nor DMG. It duplicates the _process_, but copyright doesn't relate to process. That's what patents are for.

          PCGen would be in violation of the d20STL _IF_ they were using the d20 system logos. But that would be true even if they removed the sections relating to character creation and experience, because, IIRC, the d20STL forbids applying the d20 logo to computer programs. If you're doing a computer program for use with d20, AND you wish to put the d20 logo on it, you have to get a separate license from WOTC. But, so far, I haven't seen any use of the d20 logo in PCGen.

          As long as PCGen doesn't use any of the d20 system trademarks, it does not have to worry about being compliant with the d20STL. In that case, PCGen doesn't have to worry even one little bit about having character creation or experience point information.

          However, having said that, there is one other little item to worry about: the fact that PCGen does mention _OTHER_ WOTC trademarks. Specifically, the names of WOTC products (sourcebooks, modules, etc.). WOTC could make a case about that unless the PCGen maintainers have sought specific permission for the way they're using those things. Similarly, other companies could take action against PCGen wrt to the names of their products.

          If the PCGen project people haven't already gotten that permission, I'd recommend they do so right away.

          > You could
          > take all the official SRD material, package them up in whatever form you
          > wish with PCGen and nobody would have a legal claim against you for doing
          > so. Any legal claims would be from the fact that you show people how to
          > generate a character and of course all the other copyright material being
          > used, not the SRD material.

          Such a legal claim _could_ come from including chargen and xp information alongside the SRD, but it wouldn't come from having used the SRD. It would only come from having used a d20 system logo on said product. That's where the restrictions on chargen and xp information come from. If you don't include the d20 system logo on your bundle, then they can't do anything to you for having written your own chargen or xp rules (whether they're compatible with the D&D3e ones or not) as long as you have written them in your own words, distinct from the words they used in D&D3e.
        • Rodney Cherry
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 1, 2001
            ARG ARG ARG. I can copy the SRD verbatim, I can sell it, I can chop it up,
            I can dice and slice it. The entire body of the SRD material marked
            Released is OGC. I can do anything I want with it privately or commercially
            as long as the OGL is with it and I dont claim it as my own body of work. I
            can take the stupid rtf files of all the official released SRD material.
            Print it out exactly as it is and sell it. And keep all the money from
            selling it. I can take it and publish it with my own material. As long as I
            make sure to show that the SRD material is OGC and that I dont own it.
            Whether or not the rest of my published material complies with the laws is
            a different matter and is not what I am talking about.

            THATS ALL THERE IS TO IT. I didnt say its public domain, I said its use can
            be considered as such. AS LONG AS I DONT CLAIM I OWN IT.

            Dont read between the lines, dont over think it. I am not saying it should
            or shouldn't be used in PCGEN. I am not arguing Bryans stand on the use of
            SRD in PCGen. I am stating what WotC themselves have stated about the SRD
            material. I am stating that it COULD be used in PCGen and that it isn't the
            thing to be worried about when thinking of copyright/trademark/product
            identity problems with PCGen.

            Somebody said it would be nice to have some type of file with the SRD
            material that pcgen could read data from. I was pointing out that they
            could and from a legal point it wouldnt matter.

            No lawyer-ize here. Dont come back and try acting like a lawyer and break
            my statements down. Theres nothing to break down. I am not talking about
            logos or trademarks or anything like that. I am talking about the
            officially released SRD material.

            Ok so I bit the bait and snagged the hook, I dont care. Like others I am
            tired of all the back-room lawyer stuff, which was a point I was trying to
            make. Which I failed to do it seems. Its so simple, yet people want to make
            it complicated.
          • Benjamin Pew
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 3, 2001
              Please leave an option to not have this information. I don't want my
              character sheets cluttered up with the entire text of the books pertaining
              to my abilities and feats. Either make two copies of the list files, or if
              there's a programmatic way of including it, provide a way to turn it off.