Can anybody help with PC View? PLEASE???

  • orian2001@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2001
      I've followed all the insructions, but for some reason it does not
      want to work. Any help ould be appreciated. Thank you!
    • mynex2k1@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2001
        Well, it would be helpful if you could describe your setup, and all
        the steps you use before it stops/won't work for you. This will
        help those familiar with the PC View to figure out what's happening.

        Mynex

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2001
          Fair enough. I have a Visor Handspring (8MB) And I have followed all
          of the given instructions up until I try to convert the character.
          Once I convert the character, I then try to run PCGen-to-Palm like
          the instructions tell me to. It gets done witht hat step and then
          tells me that it cannot create the file. It then deltes the exported
          char. file. (it keeps the original .pcg file. though)
          BD (bd_92@...) and I tried to work on this, but could not
          figure it out.

          Thank you!

          -Ryan

        • bd_92@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2001
            Here is tim evans email (creator of PCGenview)
            pcgenview@...

            did you email him? he usually gets back to you rather quickly.

            1. Did you use the csheet_palm.cdt template to export it? if so did
            the file of .cdt ( i think) appear at the root of your pcgen folder?

            2. If not then you didn't export them correctly, if they did then
            just run pcgen2palm and the files will be renamed and then exported
            to your palm folder. Once in your palm folder they will be
            call .cdi's.

            3. Once they are there synce your palm and your set. You will see the
            files rename themselves to something else and then appear in the
            pcgenview program on your palm

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2001
              I did not have a chance to email him. But here's what's going on...
              > 1. Did you use the csheet_palm.cdt template to export it? if so did
              > the file of .cdt ( i think) appear at the root of your pcgen folder?

              >>> Yes. It created the new file like it was supposed to.

              > 2. If not then you didn't export them correctly, if they did then
              > just run pcgen2palm and the files will be renamed and then exported
              > to your palm folder. Once in your palm folder they will be
              > call .cdi's.

              >>> This is where my issues are occuring. I try to run this but it
              fails, saying that it cannot create the file.

            • orian2001@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 2, 2001
                I have not really had the time to email him, but I will try.

                > 1. Did you use the csheet_palm.cdt template to export it? if so did
                > the file of .cdt ( i think) appear at the root of your pcgen folder?

                Yes. This has taken place correctly.

                > 2. If not then you didn't export them correctly, if they did then
                > just run pcgen2palm and the files will be renamed and then exported
                > to your palm folder. Once in your palm folder they will be
                > call .cdi's.

                This is where I'm having the issue. I have tried running PCGen to
                Palm three or four times, the program completes, gets to 100% and
                then tells me that it cannot create the file.

                I hope someone can help. Thank you!!!

                -Ryan
              • bd_92@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 2, 2001
                  did you email tim?

                  --- In pcgen@y..., orian2001@h... wrote:
                  > I have not really had the time to email him, but I will try.
                  >
                  > > 1. Did you use the csheet_palm.cdt template to export it? if so
                  did
                  > > the file of .cdt ( i think) appear at the root of your pcgen
                  folder?

                  > Yes. This has taken place correctly.
                  >

                  > > 2. If not then you didn't export them correctly, if they did then
                  > > just run pcgen2palm and the files will be renamed and then
                  exported
                  > > to your palm folder. Once in your palm folder they will be
                  > > call .cdi's.
                  >
                  > This is where I'm having the issue. I have tried running PCGen to
                  > Palm three or four times, the program completes, gets to 100% and
                  > then tells me that it cannot create the file.
                  >
                  > I hope someone can help. Thank you!!!
                  >
                  > -Ryan
                • Tim Evans
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 3, 2001
                    Hello orian2001,

                    ohc> I have not really had the time to email him, but I will try.

                    >> 1. Did you use the csheet_palm.cdt template to export it? if so did
                    >> the file of .cdt ( i think) appear at the root of your pcgen folder?

                    ohc> Yes. This has taken place correctly.

                    >> 2. If not then you didn't export them correctly, if they did then
                    >> just run pcgen2palm and the files will be renamed and then exported
                    >> to your palm folder. Once in your palm folder they will be
                    >> call .cdi's.

                    ohc> This is where I'm having the issue. I have tried running PCGen to
                    ohc> Palm three or four times, the program completes, gets to 100% and
                    ohc> then tells me that it cannot create the file.

                    ohc> I hope someone can help. Thank you!!!

                    ohc> -Ryan

                    The only thing I can think of of the top of my head, that would cause
                    it to fail to create the file, is that you have not edited the
                    PCGENTOPALM.INI and have not set the OUTPUT Directory to the correct
                    one for your PALM.

                    the default on is

                    OUTPUT=C:\PALM\EVANST\CASL

                    the EVANST needs to be changed to whatever directory is used on your
                    PC.

                    The way PCGENTOPLAM.EXE works is it reads the .CDT file creates a .CDI
                    file in the above directory and then renames the .CDT file to .BAK

                    Unless there is something very strange in your .CDT file having the
                    above line set to a none existent directory is about the only thing
                    that would stop it working.

                    By the way, there is a yahoogroup for PCGENView. If you go to
                    www.pcgenview.com there is a link at the bottom of the page to join.

                    --
                    Best regards,
                    Tim mailto:tim.evans@...
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 3, 2001
                      He saw the message and emailed me. I'll try it out later on today. Thanks!