Re: Bug in ADD:Spellcaster tag

  • mocha@mcs.net
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 1, 2001
      I believe the Loremaster is intended as the 'ultra-geek' spellcaster.
      Wizards are the most scholastic, which is why they're not limited in
      the number of spells they can know. Sorcerers and Bards are more your
      talented-non-scholars. Sorcerers get little benefit from hitting the
      books and dreaming up their own spells - at least a Wizard could
      throw their creation into their book with little consequence - a
      Wizard or a Bard would have to decide if creating a new spell was
      worth having it replace a possible choice from the known spell list.
      So the Loremaster as a concept fits most snugly with Wizard - and
      with Clerics who also pattern themselves as being more scholarly and
      learned. You're right, though, there should be a way to add to the
      number of known spells. I believe that Dave's BONUS: tag additions
      that he's put in a file for me will resolve all of this, and make the
      ADD:SPELLCASTER tag obsolete. So I don't allow a class to add to the
      KNOWN tag yet - but that functionality will be added soon.

      -Bryan

    • Shawn Chesak
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 1, 2001
        Thanks m8.  I understand your logic with loremaster.

        The sheer number of other prestige classes popping up which add to spellcaster level who /should/ allow incrementing of sorcerers spells known, on the other hand, will make this new function a great benefit.

        ---

      • zebuleon@peoplepc.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 1, 2001
          > But, yes, its just like the Loremaster in that it adds to an
          existing spell
          > caster level.
          >
          > So, what you are saying is that the loremaster doesn't gain any
          spells
          > known as it advances in levels? Hmmm... I suppose this may be
          correct, but
          > that would make the class (and others like it) quite useless for
          sorcerers
          > (and bards). After all, if they don't get more spells known, what
          good
          > does it do them when they get spells castable of higher levels? They
          > wouldn't KNOW any.
          >
          > This doesn't seem right, as other classes aren't penalized in this
          way for
          > these Prestige classes. A wizard can add those higher level spells
          to his
          > book, a cleric would be granted higher level spells by his deity,
          etc.
          > Only a bard and a sorcerer would end up being severely restricted by
          the
          > Loremaster (and other spell casting classes which increment caster
          level of
          > existing classes), and I don't think that was the game designers
          intention.

          I do believe that the the sorcerer would gain both their known spells
          and spells per day. because the later is entirely useless without the
          known spells. They refer to 'spells per day' as an example, but you
          are adding '+1 level of existing class' which means that sorcerers and
          bards would get their next level of spells, both known and per day. I
          believe you'll find that all the other Prestige classes that 'add
          existing class' whould affect sorcerer and bards the same as cleric
          and wizards.

          Mario
        • mocha@mcs.net
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 1, 2001
            You're right - does the dmg specify for the Loremaster spells cast
            only in terms of what the increase in level affects? If not, then I
            think PCGen is in error and should reference the increase in level
            for how many spells can be known as well. An easy code change - I
            simply don't have my book and would like it confirmed before I make
            that change.

            -Bryan

          • zebuleon@peoplepc.com
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 1, 2001
              --- In pcgen@y..., mocha@m... wrote:
              > You're right - does the dmg specify for the Loremaster spells cast
              > only in terms of what the increase in level affects? If not, then I
              > think PCGen is in error and should reference the increase in level
              > for how many spells can be known as well. An easy code change - I
              > simply don't have my book and would like it confirmed before I make
              > that change.
              >
              > -Bryan

              I'm a little confused by what your asking, but I'll give an example
              that might answer your question.

              Wizard 4/Lormaster 6 would be able to cast spells as if he was a
              10th level wizard. if you have another spellcaster class(wizard and
              cleric) when you advance as lormaster you need to choose which
              one(wizard or cleric) gains the level of spells.

              hope this helps

              Mario
            • john.sussenberger@libertymutual.com
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 1, 2001
                From the d20 SRD

                Spells per Day: A loremaster continues training in magic as well as her field of research. Thus, when a new loremaster level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in a spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (improved chance of controlling or rebuking un­dead, metamagic or item creation feats, and so on). This essentially means that she adds the level of loremaster to the level of some other spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly.

                If a character had more than one spellcasting class before she became a lore­master, she must decide to which class she adds each level of loremaster for purposes of determining spells per day when she adds the new level.

                So it seems that known spells is not specifically incremented, very interesting.

                -John-

              • mocha@mcs.net
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 1, 2001
                  There are two components to your spell list:
                  1. how many you can know
                  2. how many you can cast

                  For wizards and divine spellcasters, component #1 is irrelevant since
                  they have no limit. For bards and sorcerers, the number of spells you
                  can know is crucial. My code adds virtual levels to determine how
                  many spells you can cast, but not to how many you can know. What I'm
                  wondering is a Sorceror 6 Loremaster 4 can cast as many spells as a
                  10th level Sorcerer, but does he *know* as many spells as a 10th
                  level Sorcerer or as a 6th level Sorcerer? My hunch is 10th, but the
                  code is currently saying 6th. Can you cite from the book something
                  that would say which is right?

                  -Bryan

                  --- In pcgen@y..., zebuleon@p... wrote:
                  > --- In pcgen@y..., mocha@m... wrote:
                  > > You're right - does the dmg specify for the Loremaster spells
                  cast
                  > > only in terms of what the increase in level affects? If not,
                  then I
                  > > think PCGen is in error and should reference the increase in
                  level
                  > > for how many spells can be known as well. An easy code change - I
                  > > simply don't have my book and would like it confirmed before I
                  make
                  > > that change.
                  > >
                  > > -Bryan
                  > >

                  > I'm a little confused by what your asking, but I'll give an example
                  > that might answer your question.
                  >
                  > Wizard 4/Lormaster 6 would be able to cast spells as if he was a
                  > 10th level wizard. if you have another spellcaster class(wizard
                  and
                  > cleric) when you advance as lormaster you need to choose which
                  > one(wizard or cleric) gains the level of spells.
                  >
                  > hope this helps
                  >
                  > Mario
                • Moulton, Ernie Mr USAREC
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 1, 2001
                    No, I disagree.
                    the character gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in a spellcasting class she belonged to before she
                    A sosrcerer or Bard gain new spells learne(known) as well as the number they can cast daily when they gain a class level... looks the same to me.

                      Ernie Moulton
                      E-Mail Administrator º+
                      ACS / HQ USAREC
                      502 626-1664  FAX 502 626-0994

                    --- In pcgen@y..., zebuleon@p... wrote:
                    > > But, yes, its just like the Loremaster in that it adds to an
                    > existing spell
                    > > caster level.
                    > >
                    > > So, what you are saying is that the loremaster doesn't gain any
                    > spells
                    > > known as it advances in levels?  Hmmm... I suppose this may be
                    > correct, but
                    > > that would make the class (and others like it) quite useless for
                    > sorcerers
                    > > (and bards).  After all, if they don't get more spells known,
                    what
                    > good
                    > > does it do them when they get spells castable of higher levels?
                    They
                    > > wouldn't KNOW any.
                    > >
                    > > This doesn't seem right, as other classes aren't penalized in
                    this
                    > way for
                    > > these Prestige classes.  A wizard can add those higher level
                    spells
                    > to his
                    > > book, a cleric would be granted higher level spells by his deity,
                    > etc.
                    > > Only a bard and a sorcerer would end up being severely restricted
                    by
                    > the
                    > > Loremaster (and other spell casting classes which increment
                    caster
                    > level of
                    > > existing classes), and I don't think that was the game designers
                    > intention.
                    > >

                    > I do believe that the the sorcerer would gain both their known
                    spells
                    > and spells per day.  because the later is entirely useless without
                    the
                    > known spells.  They refer to 'spells per day' as an example, but
                    you
                    > are adding '+1 level of existing class' which means that sorcerers
                    and
                    > bards would get their next level of spells, both known and per
                    day.  I
                    > believe you'll find that all the other Prestige classes that 'add
                    > existing class' whould affect sorcerer and bards the same as cleric
                    > and wizards.
                    >

                    > Mario

                  • Shane Harsch
                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 1, 2001
                      For that matter, if it doesn't increase the number of known spells for a Sorcerer, it doesn't for a Wizard as well. A Wizard learns 2 new spells per level. I think both are in question. Just because the Sorcerer/Bard has a chart and the Wizard does not is irrelivant. Are known spells included or not?

                      My .02 until someone contacts Wiz hotline: known spells increase, otherwise how will a spellcaster be able to cast higher level spells if they can't learn them? For example: Level 6 Wiz becomes level 1 Loremaster, thus allowing 1 4th level spell casting/day. If he can't learn his 2 spells, how is this useful from that point on out?

                      --- In pcgen@y..., zebuleon@p... wrote:
                      > > But, yes, its just like the Loremaster in that it adds to an
                      > existing spell
                      > > caster level.
                      > >
                      > > So, what you are saying is that the loremaster doesn't gain any
                      > spells
                      > > known as it advances in levels?  Hmmm... I suppose this may be
                      > correct, but
                      > > that would make the class (and others like it) quite useless for
                      > sorcerers
                      > > (and bards).  After all, if they don't get more spells known,
                      what
                      > good
                      > > does it do them when they get spells castable of higher levels?
                      They
                      > > wouldn't KNOW any.
                      > >
                      > > This doesn't seem right, as other classes aren't penalized in
                      this
                      > way for
                      > > these Prestige classes.  A wizard can add those higher level
                      spells
                      > to his
                      > > book, a cleric would be granted higher level spells by his deity,
                      > etc.
                      > > Only a bard and a sorcerer would end up being severely restricted
                      by
                      > the
                      > > Loremaster (and other spell casting classes which increment
                      caster
                      > level of
                      > > existing classes), and I don't think that was the game designers
                      > intention.
                      > >

                      > I do believe that the the sorcerer would gain both their known
                      spells
                      > and spells per day.  because the later is entirely useless without
                      the
                      > known spells.  They refer to 'spells per day' as an example, but
                      you
                      > are adding '+1 level of existing class' which means that sorcerers
                      and
                      > bards would get their next level of spells, both known and per
                      day.  I
                      > believe you'll find that all the other Prestige classes that 'add
                      > existing class' whould affect sorcerer and bards the same as cleric
                      > and wizards.
                      >

                      > Mario

                    • Sussenberger, John
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 1, 2001
                        Oh, I totally agree with you, but Bryan wanted the "official" ruling.  Someone should contact the sage and ask him (unless this was already covered in a Dragon mag).  What other classes increase spellcaster levels.  If I have the book on me, I can check.

                        BTW, that is the rule for the Loremaster.  Not every class made.  Each class may be different.

                        -John @ work- (wishing he was at home to check his stack of Dragon magz)

                      • zebuleon@peoplepc.com
                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 1, 2001
                          --- In pcgen@y..., mocha@m... wrote:
                          > There are two components to your spell list:
                          > 1. how many you can know
                          > 2. how many you can cast
                          >
                          > For wizards and divine spellcasters, component #1 is irrelevant
                          since
                          > they have no limit. For bards and sorcerers, the number of spells
                          you
                          > can know is crucial. My code adds virtual levels to determine how
                          > many spells you can cast, but not to how many you can know. What I'm
                          > wondering is a Sorceror 6 Loremaster 4 can cast as many spells as a
                          > 10th level Sorcerer, but does he *know* as many spells as a 10th
                          > level Sorcerer or as a 6th level Sorcerer? My hunch is 10th, but the
                          > code is currently saying 6th. Can you cite from the book something
                          > that would say which is right?
                          >
                          > -Bryan

                          Unfortunately they keep referring to it as spells per day but within
                          the example they state it better.

                          if gremda, an 8th level wizard gains a level in lormaster, she gains
                          new spells as if she had risen to 9th level in wizard,...if she next
                          gains a level of wizard, making her a 9th level wizard/1st-level
                          lormaster, she gains and casts spells as if she had risen to 10th
                          level wizard.

                          since wizards do gain 2 spells to add to spellbook effectivly
                          'known' spells each level as well as more to cast it seems that this
                          would effect everything. But I do believe someone should get the
                          'Official' word about it.

                          Mario
                        • mocha@mcs.net
                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 1, 2001
                            No - what you're thinking of is the guideline that a Wizard can add
                            two new spells to their spellbook when they advance. There is no cap
                            on the number of spells a Wizard can have in their spellbook for any
                            level. In addition to these 2 spells per level increase, there is no
                            limit to the number of spells a Wizard can research on their own.
                            Thus, I have not implemented a KNOWN: limit for Wizards as it would
                            be impossible to maintain.

                            -Bryan

                            --- In pcgen@y..., "Shane Harsch" <shane@t...> wrote:
                            > For that matter, if it doesn't increase the number of known spells
                            for a Sorcerer, it doesn't for a Wizard as well. A Wizard learns 2
                            new spells per level. I think both are in question. Just because the
                            Sorcerer/Bard has a chart and the Wizard does not is irrelivant. Are
                            known spells included or not?

                            > My .02 until someone contacts Wiz hotline: known spells increase,
                            otherwise how will a spellcaster be able to cast higher level spells
                            if they can't learn them? For example: Level 6 Wiz becomes level 1
                            Loremaster, thus allowing 1 4th level spell casting/day. If he can't
                            learn his 2 spells, how is this useful from that point on out?

                            Service.

                            Service.

                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            Service.
                          • zebuleon@peoplepc.com
                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 1, 2001
                              In R&R they refer to it as spellcaster class and say nothing about
                              'spells per day' but its the same thing.

                              Mario
                            • mocha@mcs.net
                              Message 14 of 26 , Mar 1, 2001
                                So who wants to email Mr. Tweet (isn't he the sage?) and get an
                                official ruling? Maybe a post on the dnd newsgroup?

                                -Bryan

                              • zebuleon@peoplepc.com
                                Message 15 of 26 , Mar 1, 2001
                                  --- In pcgen@y..., mocha@m... wrote:
                                  > No - what you're thinking of is the guideline that a Wizard can add
                                  > two new spells to their spellbook when they advance. There is no cap
                                  > on the number of spells a Wizard can have in their spellbook for any
                                  > level. In addition to these 2 spells per level increase, there is no
                                  > limit to the number of spells a Wizard can research on their own.
                                  > Thus, I have not implemented a KNOWN: limit for Wizards as it would
                                  > be impossible to maintain.
                                  >
                                  > -Bryan

                                  I understand that point, and I'm not saying that you should implenent
                                  anything for it. I was using it as a comparsion, yes a wizard can
                                  have any number of spells in their spellbook, but if they don't ever
                                  find any other spells they will always at least get 2 spells to add to
                                  their 'list of castable spells'. This is similar to the way sorcerers
                                  gain spells to their 'list of castable spells'. so thats why I think
                                  that loremaster would add to both these "lists". for coding purposes
                                  it should not have to effect wizards at all.

                                  Mario
                                • zebuleon@peoplepc.com
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Mar 1, 2001
                                    I emailed sage advice about this. I'll let you know what I find out.

                                    Mario
                                  • mocha@mcs.net
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Mar 1, 2001
                                      Thanks! It would take me about 4 lines of code to add this
                                      capability, I just want to be sure it's 'official'. :)

                                      -Bryan

                                      --- In pcgen@y..., zebuleon@p... wrote:
                                      > I emailed sage advice about this. I'll let you know what I find
                                      out.

                                      > Mario
                                    • Shawn Chesak
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Mar 1, 2001
                                        I also emailed sage advice, as well as general game-system question customer service.

                                        And I emailed 2 D&D mailing lists and one D&D forum that actively discuss the game system, and often get official responses from the Sage on various issues (in case they already asked this one a while back).

                                        Heheh...maybe I was a little excessive in how many feelers I put out for the answer, but I always like to cover all the bases.

                                        ---
                                        Shawn A. Chesak
                                        Stormkeep GM -- http://www.stormkeep.net
                                      • Damian
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Mar 1, 2001
                                          I got quick responses from customer service. : )

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Mar 1, 2001
                                            I would not expect anything back from WOTC since they are, AFAIK, not at work until the building is fixed.  I guess they had some significant damage from the earthquake.

                                            Just my 2 cents.

                                            -John-

                                            --- In pcgen@y..., zebuleon@p... wrote:
                                            > --- In pcgen@y..., mocha@m... wrote:
                                            > > There are two components to your spell list:
                                            > > 1. how many you can know
                                            > > 2. how many you can cast
                                            > >
                                            > > For wizards and divine spellcasters, component #1 is irrelevant
                                            > since
                                            > > they have no limit. For bards and sorcerers, the number of spells
                                            > you
                                            > > can know is crucial. My code adds virtual levels to determine how
                                            > > many spells you can cast, but not to how many you can know. What
                                            I'm
                                            > > wondering is a Sorceror 6 Loremaster 4 can cast as many spells as
                                            > > 10th level Sorcerer, but does he *know* as many spells as a 10th
                                            > > level Sorcerer or as a 6th level Sorcerer? My hunch is 10th, but
                                            the
                                            > > code is currently saying 6th. Can you cite from the book
                                            something
                                            > > that would say which is right?
                                            > >
                                            > > -Bryan
                                            > >

                                            > Unfortunately they keep referring to it as spells per day but
                                            within
                                            > the example they state it better.
                                            >
                                            > if gremda, an 8th level wizard gains a level in lormaster, she
                                            gains
                                            > new spells as if she had risen to 9th level in wizard,...if she
                                            next
                                            > gains a level of wizard, making her a 9th level wizard/1st-level
                                            > lormaster, she gains and casts spells as if she had risen to 10th
                                            > level wizard.
                                            >
                                            > since wizards do gain 2 spells to add to spellbook effectivly
                                            > 'known' spells each level as well as more to cast it seems that
                                            this
                                            > would effect everything.  But I do believe someone should get the
                                            > 'Official' word about it.
                                            >
                                            > Mario

                                          • Damian
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Mar 1, 2001
                                              sorry.  brainfarted.  hell of a time for an earthquake.  isnt' it bad enought that it rains 360 days a year up there?

                                              --- In pcgen@y..., zebuleon@p... wrote:
                                              > --- In pcgen@y..., mocha@m... wrote:
                                              > > There are two components to your spell list:
                                              > > 1. how many you can know
                                              > > 2. how many you can cast
                                              > >
                                              > > For wizards and divine spellcasters, component #1 is irrelevant
                                              > since
                                              > > they have no limit. For bards and sorcerers, the number of spells
                                              > you
                                              > > can know is crucial. My code adds virtual levels to determine how
                                              > > many spells you can cast, but not to how many you can know. What
                                              I'm
                                              > > wondering is a Sorceror 6 Loremaster 4 can cast as many spells as
                                              > > 10th level Sorcerer, but does he *know* as many spells as a 10th
                                              > > level Sorcerer or as a 6th level Sorcerer? My hunch is 10th, but
                                              the
                                              > > code is currently saying 6th. Can you cite from the book
                                              something
                                              > > that would say which is right?
                                              > >
                                              > > -Bryan
                                              > >

                                              > Unfortunately they keep referring to it as spells per day but
                                              within
                                              > the example they state it better.
                                              >
                                              > if gremda, an 8th level wizard gains a level in lormaster, she
                                              gains
                                              > new spells as if she had risen to 9th level in wizard,...if she
                                              next
                                              > gains a level of wizard, making her a 9th level wizard/1st-level
                                              > lormaster, she gains and casts spells as if she had risen to 10th
                                              > level wizard.
                                              >
                                              > since wizards do gain 2 spells to add to spellbook effectivly
                                              > 'known' spells each level as well as more to cast it seems that
                                              this
                                              > would effect everything.  But I do believe someone should get the
                                              > 'Official' word about it.
                                              >
                                              > Mario

                                            • Shawn Chesak
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Mar 1, 2001
                                                I was informed on Eric Noah's D&D message boards by a few people that they /think/ they recall someone emailing the Sage about this very issue a while back, and that he said the Sorcerers gain spells known as well as cast/day.

                                                Also, that this IS for sure for the Eldritch master as well.

                                                This was the opinion of a few people there.

                                                I should mention, however, that one person recalled that Skip had said exactly the opposite....

                                                So, its wait for official response time I imagine. :-)

                                                ---

                                                --- In pcgen@y..., zebuleon@p... wrote:
                                                > --- In pcgen@y..., mocha@m... wrote:
                                                > > There are two components to your spell list:
                                                > > 1. how many you can know
                                                > > 2. how many you can cast
                                                > >
                                                > > For wizards and divine spellcasters, component #1 is irrelevant
                                                > since
                                                > > they have no limit. For bards and sorcerers, the number of spells
                                                > you
                                                > > can know is crucial. My code adds virtual levels to determine how
                                                > > many spells you can cast, but not to how many you can know. What
                                                I'm
                                                > > wondering is a Sorceror 6 Loremaster 4 can cast as many spells as
                                                > > 10th level Sorcerer, but does he *know* as many spells as a 10th
                                                > > level Sorcerer or as a 6th level Sorcerer? My hunch is 10th, but
                                                the
                                                > > code is currently saying 6th. Can you cite from the book
                                                something
                                                > > that would say which is right?
                                                > >
                                                > > -Bryan
                                                > >

                                                > Unfortunately they keep referring to it as spells per day but
                                                within
                                                > the example they state it better.
                                                >
                                                > if gremda, an 8th level wizard gains a level in lormaster, she
                                                gains
                                                > new spells as if she had risen to 9th level in wizard,...if she
                                                next
                                                > gains a level of wizard, making her a 9th level wizard/1st-level
                                                > lormaster, she gains and casts spells as if she had risen to 10th
                                                > level wizard.
                                                >
                                                > since wizards do gain 2 spells to add to spellbook effectivly
                                                > 'known' spells each level as well as more to cast it seems that
                                                this
                                                > would effect everything.  But I do believe someone should get the
                                                > 'Official' word about it.
                                                >
                                                > Mario

                                              • David Cortijo
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Mar 1, 2001
                                                  Just to clarify, the Eldritch Master does not gain levels in a casting class as the Loremaster does.  They gain specific bonus Known Spells (but none castable) according to a table...

                                                  Dave