Re: Psionics Handbook

  • mocha@mcs.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2001
      Thanks Dave and John, your assessments have made my life *much*
      easier! I've printed out John's original email and Dave's response
      (as well as Dave's BONUS: file in the Bugs And Features folder), so
      I've got a lot to absorb. It will be *really cool* to be able to
      support all the psionics stuff and finish support for FR and other
      prestige class sources. I wish I could do this as a job rather than
      as a hobby! :)

      -Bryan
    • Robert Gale
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 6, 2001
        Bryan,

        First let me say what a GREAT job your doing with PCGen.
        I think you SHOULD get paid for doing this!

        I've been a professional software developer for 20 years and playing
        D&D longer than that. I do computer game and internet development (I
        have a consulting firm) and I'd love to help you with PCGen.

        You want some help? Maybe I could help you with Psionics and monster
        characters (two of the features I could really use).

        Send me an email to robgale@... if your
        interested.

        - Rob Gale

        --- In pcgen@y..., mocha@m... wrote:
        > Thanks Dave and John, your assessments have made my life *much*
        > easier! I've printed out John's original email and Dave's response
        > (as well as Dave's BONUS: file in the Bugs And Features folder), so
        > I've got a lot to absorb. It will be *really cool* to be able to
        > support all the psionics stuff and finish support for FR and other
        > prestige class sources. I wish I could do this as a job rather than
        > as a hobby! :)
        >
        > -Bryan
      • Shawn Chesak
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 6, 2001
          Just as a note, monster characters can be almost perfectly done right now.

          Create the base monster types as 'classes' and then put in the specific monsters as races.

          Thus, a hill giant could be made by selecting Hill Giant as a race, and adding levels of 'giant' as a class.

          After you add a number of giant levels = a hill giant's Hit Dice, you can then begin adding other 'real' classes (fighter, for example).

          The only problem this poses currently is that the number of skill points the different creature types gets per hit die does not include their intelligence modifier, as other true classes are.  Additionally, the Abberation creature type is supposed to get an additional number of feats based on int mod.  Neither of these exceptions can be properly handled by PCGen right now.

          Other than those 2 things, however, monsters capabilities in terms of AB, Saving throws, feats, etc. is all based on their hit dice, just as if the monster type were a class.  I've added monster races to a custom lst file on my end, and have created 'classes' for Abberation, Giant, Humanoid, and Monstrous Humanoid in order to create monster types.  I just add a note in the SA: tag of the 'class' for how many skill points they SHOULD have by INT and hitdie, and then modify that part manually.

          The only reason I haven't uploaded what I have done to the yahoogroup file section is because of the 2 features that don't work right currently. (I've created lst files of all of the spells and classes from Sword and Sorcery's Relics and Rituals and every magic item from the DMG as well, but for similiar reasons of not-full compatability I haven't uploaded those either).

          Dragon #276 has an excellent article regarding how to 'build a monster' and each of the monster-types is detailed there in just the right format to make them into a 'class' for pcgen.  The creatures in the Monster Manual all conform to those guidelines as well, btw. (at least all of those listing advancement "by character class").

          ---
          Shawn A. Chesak
          Stormkeep GM -- http://www.stormkeep.net

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 6, 2001
            Yeah - it really won't take much to make what you want to work. I
            hadn't really thought about that when I started writing PCGen, but it
            falls into place nicely. I plan on making all the tags in the race
            files avaialble to be overridden in the class files, making a class
            pretty much able to replace a race. The only other tweaks are what
            you mention - feats and skill points, which are trivial. I'll get
            there, and then I'll be quite interested in what you've put together
            in your monster lst file! :)

            -Bryan

          • Lonestar
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 6, 2001
              Hello Shawn,

              SC> The only reason I haven't uploaded what I have done to the yahoogroup file
              SC> section is because of the 2 features that don't work right currently. (I've
              SC> created lst files of all of the spells and classes from Sword and Sorcery's
              SC> Relics and Rituals and every magic item from the DMG as well, but for
              SC> similiar reasons of not-full compatability I haven't uploaded those
              SC> either).

              Relics & Rituals?
              Oh why does all the work have to be done twice?
              Would you mind sending me those R&R lst files?

              Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@...
            • Robert Hilson
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 7, 2001
                personally like i have said i am haveing a tracker made, for combat and for
                ease of use. if pcgen stayed the same, and a copy of it was made into mongen,
                with related info i could have up 3 programs, one for tracking combat, one for
                the specifics of pc's and one for the specifics of the monsters. i personally
                would prefer to have the 3 up, allows each more features and abilities than one
                program that does all. my combat tracker (built by a friend should be pu in
                about a week or 2(unexpected trouble and a little harder than she thought)
                currently you copy the text of a monster into the tab for monsters say how many
                and poof 6 goblins, goblin1, goblin2. etc. just saying maby once you see what i
                want the tracker to do youll understand.

                =====
                Robert Hilson
                https://secure.paypal.com/affil/pal=okuth0r%40yahoo.com

                http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/