Re: Psionics Handbook and spell.lst questions

  • mocha@mcs.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1 6:51 AM
      --- In pcgen@y..., "David Cortijo" <dcortijo@i...> wrote:
      > Extremely helpful post, John. I'll wrap my head around it later in
      order to
      > add specific requests as needed. If you could please give me a
      general idea
      > as to what the PP progression is for the classes (i.e. is it based
      on a
      > formula, completely arbitrary, etc), I'd appreciate it - it would
      make my
      > life a million times easier.
      >
      > Another note on spell.lst file. Spells have 3 attributes that are
      listed
      > right after the spell's name in a printed description - School,
      Subschool,
      > and Descriptor (subschool and descriptor don't always exist).
      Please note
      > these are the publishing terms, that MAY NOT correspond to the
      terms used by
      > PCgen.
      >
      > The DESCRIPTOR tag was created as a sort of "second school" for
      spells - for
      > example, in the Al-Qadim campaign, spells are part of the
      Universal, Flame,
      > Sand, Sea, or Wind school - all spells are part of one of these
      schools, and
      > these spells are the only ones "native" to the campaign.
      >
      > However, this does not account for how to input the spells actually
      > "descriptor" (i.e. Mind-Influencing, Fire, Evil, etc). What field,
      > specifically, is this done in in the spell files? I was under the
      > assumption that the field was $effect_type$, as per the description
      in the
      > readme.html file. We need to come up with some sort of universally
      accepted
      > convention for this if files are going to remain distributed this
      way -
      > otherwise, things get too damned confusing....

      The descriptor is all the stuff in brackets in the spell
      description. There was some discussion yesterday about how to attach
      a spell description - and they decided to overwrite the effect_type
      column in phbspell.lst. DESCRIPTOR: is the optional tag in spell.lst
      where stuff like Mind-Influencing can be put. There is no
      grab this from a user-provided file. I won't change the effect_type
      column in my spell.lst files, and (as far as I know) all the
      DESCRIPTOR tags have been added, so my spell.lst files won't be
      changing any time soon. You're right, though, the discussion about
      effect_type, descriptor and description has confused a few people!

      -Bryan

    • mocha@mcs.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1 7:01 AM
        Thanks Dave and John, your assessments have made my life *much*
        easier! I've printed out John's original email and Dave's response
        (as well as Dave's BONUS: file in the Bugs And Features folder), so
        I've got a lot to absorb. It will be *really cool* to be able to
        support all the psionics stuff and finish support for FR and other
        prestige class sources. I wish I could do this as a job rather than
        as a hobby! :)

        -Bryan
      • Robert Gale
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 6 7:37 PM
          Bryan,

          First let me say what a GREAT job your doing with PCGen.
          I think you SHOULD get paid for doing this!

          I've been a professional software developer for 20 years and playing
          D&D longer than that. I do computer game and internet development (I
          have a consulting firm) and I'd love to help you with PCGen.

          You want some help? Maybe I could help you with Psionics and monster
          characters (two of the features I could really use).

          Send me an email to robgale@... if your
          interested.

          - Rob Gale

          --- In pcgen@y..., mocha@m... wrote:
          > Thanks Dave and John, your assessments have made my life *much*
          > easier! I've printed out John's original email and Dave's response
          > (as well as Dave's BONUS: file in the Bugs And Features folder), so
          > I've got a lot to absorb. It will be *really cool* to be able to
          > support all the psionics stuff and finish support for FR and other
          > prestige class sources. I wish I could do this as a job rather than
          > as a hobby! :)
          >
          > -Bryan
        • Shawn Chesak
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 6 8:01 PM
            Just as a note, monster characters can be almost perfectly done right now.

            Create the base monster types as 'classes' and then put in the specific monsters as races.

            Thus, a hill giant could be made by selecting Hill Giant as a race, and adding levels of 'giant' as a class.

            After you add a number of giant levels = a hill giant's Hit Dice, you can then begin adding other 'real' classes (fighter, for example).

            The only problem this poses currently is that the number of skill points the different creature types gets per hit die does not include their intelligence modifier, as other true classes are.  Additionally, the Abberation creature type is supposed to get an additional number of feats based on int mod.  Neither of these exceptions can be properly handled by PCGen right now.

            Other than those 2 things, however, monsters capabilities in terms of AB, Saving throws, feats, etc. is all based on their hit dice, just as if the monster type were a class.  I've added monster races to a custom lst file on my end, and have created 'classes' for Abberation, Giant, Humanoid, and Monstrous Humanoid in order to create monster types.  I just add a note in the SA: tag of the 'class' for how many skill points they SHOULD have by INT and hitdie, and then modify that part manually.

            The only reason I haven't uploaded what I have done to the yahoogroup file section is because of the 2 features that don't work right currently. (I've created lst files of all of the spells and classes from Sword and Sorcery's Relics and Rituals and every magic item from the DMG as well, but for similiar reasons of not-full compatability I haven't uploaded those either).

            Dragon #276 has an excellent article regarding how to 'build a monster' and each of the monster-types is detailed there in just the right format to make them into a 'class' for pcgen.  The creatures in the Monster Manual all conform to those guidelines as well, btw. (at least all of those listing advancement "by character class").

            ---
            Shawn A. Chesak
            Stormkeep GM -- http://www.stormkeep.net

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 6 8:26 PM
              Yeah - it really won't take much to make what you want to work. I
              hadn't really thought about that when I started writing PCGen, but it
              falls into place nicely. I plan on making all the tags in the race
              files avaialble to be overridden in the class files, making a class
              pretty much able to replace a race. The only other tweaks are what
              you mention - feats and skill points, which are trivial. I'll get
              there, and then I'll be quite interested in what you've put together
              in your monster lst file! :)

              -Bryan

            • Lonestar
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 6 11:08 PM
                Hello Shawn,

                SC> The only reason I haven't uploaded what I have done to the yahoogroup file
                SC> section is because of the 2 features that don't work right currently. (I've
                SC> created lst files of all of the spells and classes from Sword and Sorcery's
                SC> Relics and Rituals and every magic item from the DMG as well, but for
                SC> similiar reasons of not-full compatability I haven't uploaded those
                SC> either).

                Relics & Rituals?
                Oh why does all the work have to be done twice?
                Would you mind sending me those R&R lst files?

                Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@...
              • Robert Hilson
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 7 8:39 AM
                  personally like i have said i am haveing a tracker made, for combat and for
                  ease of use. if pcgen stayed the same, and a copy of it was made into mongen,
                  with related info i could have up 3 programs, one for tracking combat, one for
                  the specifics of pc's and one for the specifics of the monsters. i personally
                  would prefer to have the 3 up, allows each more features and abilities than one
                  program that does all. my combat tracker (built by a friend should be pu in
                  about a week or 2(unexpected trouble and a little harder than she thought)
                  currently you copy the text of a monster into the tab for monsters say how many
                  and poof 6 goblins, goblin1, goblin2. etc. just saying maby once you see what i
                  want the tracker to do youll understand.

                  =====
                  Robert Hilson
                  https://secure.paypal.com/affil/pal=okuth0r%40yahoo.com

                  http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/