Re: Psionics Handbook

  • mocha@mcs.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1 6:37 AM
      Thanks John! I've printed this off to digest it (burp!). How about a
      little more salt next time? :)
      I've got a few other things I'm working on, but when I'm ready to
      work on this stuff I'll be sure to post my questions so that you (or
      anyone else with the book) can respond (I'll pick up the book myself
      in the next few days).

      -Bryan

      --- In pcgen@y..., "Sussenberger, John" <john.sussenberger@l...>
      wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > Here is a bunch of information from the PHB..
      >
      > We will need the ability to grant psionic combat modes at specific
      levels
      > (Psions get 5 at first level and learn more as they progress).
      There are 10
      > modes in all. We may want them to be similar to Domain spells or
      something.
      > Having information on their powers, damage and cost is important
      for the
      > character sheet.
      >
      > Psions come in 6 variations, each specializing in a certain
      attribute:

      > Psychomnetabolism aka Egoist Strength
      > Psychoportation aka Nomad Dexterity
      > Psychokinesis aka Savant Constitution
      > Metacreativity aka Shaper Intelligence
      > Clairsentience aka Seer Wisdom
      > Telepathy aka Telepath Charisma
      >
      > Known Powers:
      >
      > A psion or psychic warrior can learn a lower level power in a
      higher level
      > slot (I think this is available to Sorcerer's too)
      >
      > A psion can know a certain number of powers per day. They gain an
      > additional power from their "specialty" or Primary Discipline at
      each
      > psionic power's level (like domain spells). Since these are known
      spells,
      > this needs to be programmed in.
      >
      > Power Points are gained by level AND by attribute.
      >
      > The bonus points vary by the level of the psion. Here is a snippet
      >
      > Ability Score 1-2 3-4 5-6 7-8...
      > 18-19 1 3 5 7
      >
      > See, it progresses much like that.
      >
      > 0 level powers can be manifested a number of times equal to his
      level +3 and
      > thereafter it costs 1 PP to manifest after that.
      >

      > These attributes affect the save DC of the psions powers. Note
      that the
      > save DC by default is d20 + attribute + level of psionic power.
      There is a
      > variant for the DC to be 10 + attribute + level of psionic power.
      This is
      > another important thing, I would suggest supporting both methods (I
      plan now
      > on using the 10 + method, since it is easier to handle.)
      >
      > Psycrystals as similar to Familiars and do approximately the same
      things:
      > Bonus to skill
      > Bonus to save
      >
      > They have personalities, which determines what abilities they
      grant
      > the psion. There is a feat which allows the psycrystal to have
      multiple
      > personalities.
      >
      > Psychic Warrior
      >
      > Similar to the Psion with the following differences:
      >
      > They do not gain the additional known power (similar to Domain
      spells,
      > above). They gain power points, etc.
      >

      > Multiclass Rules
      >
      > A multiclasses Psion/Psychic Warrior pools his power points but his
      known
      > psionic powers list are kept separate.
      >

      > Skillz:
      >
      > There are a few new skills.
      > Autohypnosis WIS Trained only Psion,Psychic Warrior
      exclusive
      > Knowledge (psionics) INT Trained only
      > Psicraft INT Trained only
      > Remote View INT Psion exclusive
      > Stabilize Self CON Trained only Psion,Psychic Warrior
      exclusive
      > Use Psionic Device CHA Trained only Bard,Rogue exclusive
      >

      > Feats:
      >
      > The feats are interesting, some have variable prerequisites, such
      as:

      > Mental Leap
      > Prerequisites: Str 13+, 6 ranks of Jump, reserve power points
      3+
      > This feat, each time you take it doubles your jump height.
      Each

      6
      > 7 8 9
      > Power Point Cost 0/1 1 3 5 7 9
      11

    • mocha@mcs.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1 6:51 AM
        --- In pcgen@y..., "David Cortijo" <dcortijo@i...> wrote:
        > Extremely helpful post, John. I'll wrap my head around it later in
        order to
        > add specific requests as needed. If you could please give me a
        general idea
        > as to what the PP progression is for the classes (i.e. is it based
        on a
        > formula, completely arbitrary, etc), I'd appreciate it - it would
        make my
        > life a million times easier.
        >
        > Another note on spell.lst file. Spells have 3 attributes that are
        listed
        > right after the spell's name in a printed description - School,
        Subschool,
        > and Descriptor (subschool and descriptor don't always exist).
        Please note
        > these are the publishing terms, that MAY NOT correspond to the
        terms used by
        > PCgen.
        >
        > The DESCRIPTOR tag was created as a sort of "second school" for
        spells - for
        > example, in the Al-Qadim campaign, spells are part of the
        Universal, Flame,
        > Sand, Sea, or Wind school - all spells are part of one of these
        schools, and
        > these spells are the only ones "native" to the campaign.
        >
        > However, this does not account for how to input the spells actually
        > "descriptor" (i.e. Mind-Influencing, Fire, Evil, etc). What field,
        > specifically, is this done in in the spell files? I was under the
        > assumption that the field was $effect_type$, as per the description
        in the
        > readme.html file. We need to come up with some sort of universally
        accepted
        > convention for this if files are going to remain distributed this
        way -
        > otherwise, things get too damned confusing....

        The descriptor is all the stuff in brackets in the spell
        description. There was some discussion yesterday about how to attach
        a spell description - and they decided to overwrite the effect_type
        column in phbspell.lst. DESCRIPTOR: is the optional tag in spell.lst
        where stuff like Mind-Influencing can be put. There is no
        grab this from a user-provided file. I won't change the effect_type
        column in my spell.lst files, and (as far as I know) all the
        DESCRIPTOR tags have been added, so my spell.lst files won't be
        changing any time soon. You're right, though, the discussion about
        effect_type, descriptor and description has confused a few people!

        -Bryan

      • mocha@mcs.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1 7:01 AM
          Thanks Dave and John, your assessments have made my life *much*
          easier! I've printed out John's original email and Dave's response
          (as well as Dave's BONUS: file in the Bugs And Features folder), so
          I've got a lot to absorb. It will be *really cool* to be able to
          support all the psionics stuff and finish support for FR and other
          prestige class sources. I wish I could do this as a job rather than
          as a hobby! :)

          -Bryan
        • Robert Gale
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 6 7:37 PM
            Bryan,

            First let me say what a GREAT job your doing with PCGen.
            I think you SHOULD get paid for doing this!

            I've been a professional software developer for 20 years and playing
            D&D longer than that. I do computer game and internet development (I
            have a consulting firm) and I'd love to help you with PCGen.

            You want some help? Maybe I could help you with Psionics and monster
            characters (two of the features I could really use).

            Send me an email to robgale@... if your
            interested.

            - Rob Gale

            --- In pcgen@y..., mocha@m... wrote:
            > Thanks Dave and John, your assessments have made my life *much*
            > easier! I've printed out John's original email and Dave's response
            > (as well as Dave's BONUS: file in the Bugs And Features folder), so
            > I've got a lot to absorb. It will be *really cool* to be able to
            > support all the psionics stuff and finish support for FR and other
            > prestige class sources. I wish I could do this as a job rather than
            > as a hobby! :)
            >
            > -Bryan
          • Shawn Chesak
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 6 8:01 PM
              Just as a note, monster characters can be almost perfectly done right now.

              Create the base monster types as 'classes' and then put in the specific monsters as races.

              Thus, a hill giant could be made by selecting Hill Giant as a race, and adding levels of 'giant' as a class.

              After you add a number of giant levels = a hill giant's Hit Dice, you can then begin adding other 'real' classes (fighter, for example).

              The only problem this poses currently is that the number of skill points the different creature types gets per hit die does not include their intelligence modifier, as other true classes are.  Additionally, the Abberation creature type is supposed to get an additional number of feats based on int mod.  Neither of these exceptions can be properly handled by PCGen right now.

              Other than those 2 things, however, monsters capabilities in terms of AB, Saving throws, feats, etc. is all based on their hit dice, just as if the monster type were a class.  I've added monster races to a custom lst file on my end, and have created 'classes' for Abberation, Giant, Humanoid, and Monstrous Humanoid in order to create monster types.  I just add a note in the SA: tag of the 'class' for how many skill points they SHOULD have by INT and hitdie, and then modify that part manually.

              The only reason I haven't uploaded what I have done to the yahoogroup file section is because of the 2 features that don't work right currently. (I've created lst files of all of the spells and classes from Sword and Sorcery's Relics and Rituals and every magic item from the DMG as well, but for similiar reasons of not-full compatability I haven't uploaded those either).

              Dragon #276 has an excellent article regarding how to 'build a monster' and each of the monster-types is detailed there in just the right format to make them into a 'class' for pcgen.  The creatures in the Monster Manual all conform to those guidelines as well, btw. (at least all of those listing advancement "by character class").

              ---
              Shawn A. Chesak
              Stormkeep GM -- http://www.stormkeep.net

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 6 8:26 PM
                Yeah - it really won't take much to make what you want to work. I
                hadn't really thought about that when I started writing PCGen, but it
                falls into place nicely. I plan on making all the tags in the race
                files avaialble to be overridden in the class files, making a class
                pretty much able to replace a race. The only other tweaks are what
                you mention - feats and skill points, which are trivial. I'll get
                there, and then I'll be quite interested in what you've put together
                in your monster lst file! :)

                -Bryan

              • Lonestar
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 6 11:08 PM
                  Hello Shawn,

                  SC> The only reason I haven't uploaded what I have done to the yahoogroup file
                  SC> section is because of the 2 features that don't work right currently. (I've
                  SC> created lst files of all of the spells and classes from Sword and Sorcery's
                  SC> Relics and Rituals and every magic item from the DMG as well, but for
                  SC> similiar reasons of not-full compatability I haven't uploaded those
                  SC> either).

                  Relics & Rituals?
                  Oh why does all the work have to be done twice?
                  Would you mind sending me those R&R lst files?

                  Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@...
                • Robert Hilson
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 7 8:39 AM
                    personally like i have said i am haveing a tracker made, for combat and for
                    ease of use. if pcgen stayed the same, and a copy of it was made into mongen,
                    with related info i could have up 3 programs, one for tracking combat, one for
                    the specifics of pc's and one for the specifics of the monsters. i personally
                    would prefer to have the 3 up, allows each more features and abilities than one
                    program that does all. my combat tracker (built by a friend should be pu in
                    about a week or 2(unexpected trouble and a little harder than she thought)
                    currently you copy the text of a monster into the tab for monsters say how many
                    and poof 6 goblins, goblin1, goblin2. etc. just saying maby once you see what i
                    want the tracker to do youll understand.

                    =====
                    Robert Hilson
                    https://secure.paypal.com/affil/pal=okuth0r%40yahoo.com

                    http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/