Re: Re[2]: [pcgen] Chat and PCGen release 28Feb01

  • Damian
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
      From: Lonestar
      To: Damian
      Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2001 7:35 AM
      Subject: Re[2]: [pcgen] Chat and PCGen release 28Feb01

      Hi Damian,

      D> sorry for the multiple posts, but i'm a bit puncy right now.

      D> we tested it with Cheeta Chat, and it worked fine, as well as with the java plug.

      Do you think you could give us the url of that server? ;)

      Lonestar

    • mocha@mcs.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
        I was surprised that the yahoochat didn't make transcripts possible.
        It's obviously easy to do if you go to a regular chat room - even
        using mIrc or what-have-you. The only problem with some chat servers
        is that not everyone can access them. Does anyone know of a chat
        place we could meet for next time where a transcript could be made?
        I'm open to suggestions.

        -Bryan

      • mocha@mcs.net
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
          Well, to use PCGen you have to have java, so having java isn't a bad
          requirement for a chat plugin. I used to have mIrc (I've changed
          machines since then and I don't think I've downloaded it again),
          which was pretty easy to use. We'd still have to find a server. I
          assume that's true with chatspace as well.

          -Bryan

          --- In pcgen@y..., "Richard & Sarah" <OdGregg@b...> wrote:
          > Not everyone has or wants Java, but there you go :-)
          >
          > At least IRC would mean we could choose our own client. Is there a
          web based IRC interface that allows you to choose your own group.

          > -Richard

          Service.

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Service.
        • mocha@mcs.net
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
            Don't we also need to have a server we meet on? It's all well and
            good if we have our IRC clients (or chatspace), but if we don't know
            *where* to meet, it doesn't do us a whole lot of good. Any
            suggestions?

            -Bryan

            > Thursday, March 01, 2001, 1:32:41 PM, you wrote:
            >
            > D> sorry for the multiple posts, but i'm a bit puncy right now.
            >
            > D> we tested it with Cheeta Chat, and it worked fine, as well as
            with the java plug.

            > Do you think you could give us the url of that server? ;)
            >

            > Lonestar
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Service.
          • Moulton, Ernie Mr USAREC
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
              You might look into AOL. I no longer have an account there, but I believe
              they make their chat software available.
              I will check ATT--they have some kind of chat/chatroom feature.

              Ernie Moulton
              E-Mail Administrator **
              ACS / HQ USAREC
              502 626-1664 FAX 502 626-0994
              mailto:moulton@...

              I was surprised that the yahoochat didn't make transcripts possible.
              It's obviously easy to do if you go to a regular chat room - even
              using mIrc or what-have-you. The only problem with some chat servers
              is that not everyone can access them. Does anyone know of a chat
              place we could meet for next time where a transcript could be made?
              I'm open to suggestions.

              -Bryan

              --- In pcgen@y..., Lonestar <Lonestar@l...> wrote:
              > mmn> Thanks to all who participated in tonight's chat! I tried to
              make a
              > mmn> transcript, however I couldn't select the text in order to
              copy it.
              > mmn> Does anyone know how to do that for future chats?
              >
              > We should use IRC the next time ;)
              >

              > Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@l...

            • Damian
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                nope.  chatspace is a very small program but what you download IS the server.  the client is just a tiny java plug.
                Well, to use PCGen you have to have java, so having java isn't a bad
                requirement for a chat plugin. I used to have mIrc (I've changed
                machines since then and I don't think I've downloaded it again),
                which was pretty easy to use.  We'd still have to find a server. I
                assume that's true with chatspace as well.

                -Bryan

                --- In pcgen@y..., "Richard & Sarah" <OdGregg@b...> wrote:
                > Not everyone has or wants Java, but there you go :-)
                >
                > At least IRC would mean we could choose our own client. Is there a
                web based IRC interface that allows you to choose your own group.

                > -Richard

                Service.

                >         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Service.