Re: [pcgen] Chat and PCGen release 28Feb01

  • Damian
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1 4:27 AM
      err, well, actually, if you run windows you have java.  part and parcel.
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1 4:28 AM
        and for the record, it's totally IRC compatable, so any IRC clients can log into it as well.  : )

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1 4:32 AM
          sorry for the multiple posts, but i'm a bit puncy right now.

          we tested it with Cheeta Chat, and it worked fine, as well as with the java plug.

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1 5:35 AM
            Hi Damian,

            D> sorry for the multiple posts, but i'm a bit puncy right now.

            D> we tested it with Cheeta Chat, and it worked fine, as well as with the java plug.

            Do you think you could give us the url of that server? ;)

            Lonestar
          • Damian
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 1 5:44 AM

            • mocha@mcs.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 1 7:04 AM
                I was surprised that the yahoochat didn't make transcripts possible.
                It's obviously easy to do if you go to a regular chat room - even
                using mIrc or what-have-you. The only problem with some chat servers
                is that not everyone can access them. Does anyone know of a chat
                place we could meet for next time where a transcript could be made?
                I'm open to suggestions.

                -Bryan

              • mocha@mcs.net
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 1 7:06 AM
                  Well, to use PCGen you have to have java, so having java isn't a bad
                  requirement for a chat plugin. I used to have mIrc (I've changed
                  machines since then and I don't think I've downloaded it again),
                  which was pretty easy to use. We'd still have to find a server. I
                  assume that's true with chatspace as well.

                  -Bryan

                  --- In pcgen@y..., "Richard & Sarah" <OdGregg@b...> wrote:
                  > Not everyone has or wants Java, but there you go :-)
                  >
                  > At least IRC would mean we could choose our own client. Is there a
                  web based IRC interface that allows you to choose your own group.

                  > -Richard

                  Service.

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  Service.
                • mocha@mcs.net
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 1 7:13 AM
                    Don't we also need to have a server we meet on? It's all well and
                    good if we have our IRC clients (or chatspace), but if we don't know
                    *where* to meet, it doesn't do us a whole lot of good. Any
                    suggestions?

                    -Bryan

                    > Thursday, March 01, 2001, 1:32:41 PM, you wrote:
                    >
                    > D> sorry for the multiple posts, but i'm a bit puncy right now.
                    >
                    > D> we tested it with Cheeta Chat, and it worked fine, as well as
                    with the java plug.

                    > Do you think you could give us the url of that server? ;)
                    >

                    > Lonestar
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Service.
                  • Moulton, Ernie Mr USAREC
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 1 7:58 AM
                      You might look into AOL. I no longer have an account there, but I believe
                      they make their chat software available.
                      I will check ATT--they have some kind of chat/chatroom feature.

                      Ernie Moulton
                      E-Mail Administrator **
                      ACS / HQ USAREC
                      502 626-1664 FAX 502 626-0994
                      mailto:moulton@...

                      I was surprised that the yahoochat didn't make transcripts possible.
                      It's obviously easy to do if you go to a regular chat room - even
                      using mIrc or what-have-you. The only problem with some chat servers
                      is that not everyone can access them. Does anyone know of a chat
                      place we could meet for next time where a transcript could be made?
                      I'm open to suggestions.

                      -Bryan

                      --- In pcgen@y..., Lonestar <Lonestar@l...> wrote:
                      > mmn> Thanks to all who participated in tonight's chat! I tried to
                      make a
                      > mmn> transcript, however I couldn't select the text in order to
                      copy it.
                      > mmn> Does anyone know how to do that for future chats?
                      >
                      > We should use IRC the next time ;)
                      >

                      > Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@l...

                    • Damian
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 1 8:31 AM
                        nope.  chatspace is a very small program but what you download IS the server.  the client is just a tiny java plug.
                        Well, to use PCGen you have to have java, so having java isn't a bad
                        requirement for a chat plugin. I used to have mIrc (I've changed
                        machines since then and I don't think I've downloaded it again),
                        which was pretty easy to use.  We'd still have to find a server. I
                        assume that's true with chatspace as well.

                        -Bryan

                        --- In pcgen@y..., "Richard & Sarah" <OdGregg@b...> wrote:
                        > Not everyone has or wants Java, but there you go :-)
                        >
                        > At least IRC would mean we could choose our own client. Is there a
                        web based IRC interface that allows you to choose your own group.

                        > -Richard

                        Service.

                        >         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        Service.