Re: [pcgen] Chat and PCGen release 28Feb01

  • Richard & Sarah
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
      Not everyone has or wants Java, but there you go :-)

      At least IRC would mean we could choose our own client. Is there a web based IRC interface that allows you to choose your own group.

      -Richard
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
        err, well, actually, if you run windows you have java.  part and parcel.

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
          and for the record, it's totally IRC compatable, so any IRC clients can log into it as well.  : )

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
            sorry for the multiple posts, but i'm a bit puncy right now.

            we tested it with Cheeta Chat, and it worked fine, as well as with the java plug.

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
              Hi Damian,

              D> sorry for the multiple posts, but i'm a bit puncy right now.

              D> we tested it with Cheeta Chat, and it worked fine, as well as with the java plug.

              Do you think you could give us the url of that server? ;)

              Lonestar
            • Damian
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001

              • mocha@mcs.net
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                  I was surprised that the yahoochat didn't make transcripts possible.
                  It's obviously easy to do if you go to a regular chat room - even
                  using mIrc or what-have-you. The only problem with some chat servers
                  is that not everyone can access them. Does anyone know of a chat
                  place we could meet for next time where a transcript could be made?
                  I'm open to suggestions.

                  -Bryan

                • mocha@mcs.net
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                    Well, to use PCGen you have to have java, so having java isn't a bad
                    requirement for a chat plugin. I used to have mIrc (I've changed
                    machines since then and I don't think I've downloaded it again),
                    which was pretty easy to use. We'd still have to find a server. I
                    assume that's true with chatspace as well.

                    -Bryan

                    --- In pcgen@y..., "Richard & Sarah" <OdGregg@b...> wrote:
                    > Not everyone has or wants Java, but there you go :-)
                    >
                    > At least IRC would mean we could choose our own client. Is there a
                    web based IRC interface that allows you to choose your own group.

                    > -Richard

                    Service.

                    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Service.
                  • mocha@mcs.net
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                      Don't we also need to have a server we meet on? It's all well and
                      good if we have our IRC clients (or chatspace), but if we don't know
                      *where* to meet, it doesn't do us a whole lot of good. Any
                      suggestions?

                      -Bryan

                      > Thursday, March 01, 2001, 1:32:41 PM, you wrote:
                      >
                      > D> sorry for the multiple posts, but i'm a bit puncy right now.
                      >
                      > D> we tested it with Cheeta Chat, and it worked fine, as well as
                      with the java plug.

                      > Do you think you could give us the url of that server? ;)
                      >

                      > Lonestar
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      Service.
                    • Moulton, Ernie Mr USAREC
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                        You might look into AOL. I no longer have an account there, but I believe
                        they make their chat software available.
                        I will check ATT--they have some kind of chat/chatroom feature.

                        Ernie Moulton
                        E-Mail Administrator **
                        ACS / HQ USAREC
                        502 626-1664 FAX 502 626-0994
                        mailto:moulton@...

                        I was surprised that the yahoochat didn't make transcripts possible.
                        It's obviously easy to do if you go to a regular chat room - even
                        using mIrc or what-have-you. The only problem with some chat servers
                        is that not everyone can access them. Does anyone know of a chat
                        place we could meet for next time where a transcript could be made?
                        I'm open to suggestions.

                        -Bryan

                        --- In pcgen@y..., Lonestar <Lonestar@l...> wrote:
                        > mmn> Thanks to all who participated in tonight's chat! I tried to
                        make a
                        > mmn> transcript, however I couldn't select the text in order to
                        copy it.
                        > mmn> Does anyone know how to do that for future chats?
                        >
                        > We should use IRC the next time ;)
                        >

                        > Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@l...

                      • Damian
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                          nope.  chatspace is a very small program but what you download IS the server.  the client is just a tiny java plug.
                          Well, to use PCGen you have to have java, so having java isn't a bad
                          requirement for a chat plugin. I used to have mIrc (I've changed
                          machines since then and I don't think I've downloaded it again),
                          which was pretty easy to use.  We'd still have to find a server. I
                          assume that's true with chatspace as well.

                          -Bryan

                          --- In pcgen@y..., "Richard & Sarah" <OdGregg@b...> wrote:
                          > Not everyone has or wants Java, but there you go :-)
                          >
                          > At least IRC would mean we could choose our own client. Is there a
                          web based IRC interface that allows you to choose your own group.

                          > -Richard

                          Service.

                          >         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          Service.