Re: [pcgen] Chat and PCGen release 28Feb01

  • Damian
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
      not everyone has or wants IRC.  chatspace is just a java app plugin for your browser.
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
        Not everyone has or wants Java, but there you go :-)

        At least IRC would mean we could choose our own client. Is there a web based IRC interface that allows you to choose your own group.

        -Richard

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
          err, well, actually, if you run windows you have java.  part and parcel.

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
            and for the record, it's totally IRC compatable, so any IRC clients can log into it as well.  : )

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
              sorry for the multiple posts, but i'm a bit puncy right now.

              we tested it with Cheeta Chat, and it worked fine, as well as with the java plug.

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                Hi Damian,

                D> sorry for the multiple posts, but i'm a bit puncy right now.

                D> we tested it with Cheeta Chat, and it worked fine, as well as with the java plug.

                Do you think you could give us the url of that server? ;)

                Lonestar
              • Damian
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001

                • mocha@mcs.net
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                    I was surprised that the yahoochat didn't make transcripts possible.
                    It's obviously easy to do if you go to a regular chat room - even
                    using mIrc or what-have-you. The only problem with some chat servers
                    is that not everyone can access them. Does anyone know of a chat
                    place we could meet for next time where a transcript could be made?
                    I'm open to suggestions.

                    -Bryan

                  • mocha@mcs.net
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                      Well, to use PCGen you have to have java, so having java isn't a bad
                      requirement for a chat plugin. I used to have mIrc (I've changed
                      machines since then and I don't think I've downloaded it again),
                      which was pretty easy to use. We'd still have to find a server. I
                      assume that's true with chatspace as well.

                      -Bryan

                      --- In pcgen@y..., "Richard & Sarah" <OdGregg@b...> wrote:
                      > Not everyone has or wants Java, but there you go :-)
                      >
                      > At least IRC would mean we could choose our own client. Is there a
                      web based IRC interface that allows you to choose your own group.

                      > -Richard

                      Service.

                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      Service.
                    • mocha@mcs.net
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                        Don't we also need to have a server we meet on? It's all well and
                        good if we have our IRC clients (or chatspace), but if we don't know
                        *where* to meet, it doesn't do us a whole lot of good. Any
                        suggestions?

                        -Bryan

                        > Thursday, March 01, 2001, 1:32:41 PM, you wrote:
                        >
                        > D> sorry for the multiple posts, but i'm a bit puncy right now.
                        >
                        > D> we tested it with Cheeta Chat, and it worked fine, as well as
                        with the java plug.

                        > Do you think you could give us the url of that server? ;)
                        >

                        > Lonestar
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        Service.
                      • Moulton, Ernie Mr USAREC
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                          You might look into AOL. I no longer have an account there, but I believe
                          they make their chat software available.
                          I will check ATT--they have some kind of chat/chatroom feature.

                          Ernie Moulton
                          E-Mail Administrator **
                          ACS / HQ USAREC
                          502 626-1664 FAX 502 626-0994
                          mailto:moulton@...

                          I was surprised that the yahoochat didn't make transcripts possible.
                          It's obviously easy to do if you go to a regular chat room - even
                          using mIrc or what-have-you. The only problem with some chat servers
                          is that not everyone can access them. Does anyone know of a chat
                          place we could meet for next time where a transcript could be made?
                          I'm open to suggestions.

                          -Bryan

                          --- In pcgen@y..., Lonestar <Lonestar@l...> wrote:
                          > mmn> Thanks to all who participated in tonight's chat! I tried to
                          make a
                          > mmn> transcript, however I couldn't select the text in order to
                          copy it.
                          > mmn> Does anyone know how to do that for future chats?
                          >
                          > We should use IRC the next time ;)
                          >

                          > Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@l...

                        • Damian
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                            nope.  chatspace is a very small program but what you download IS the server.  the client is just a tiny java plug.
                            Well, to use PCGen you have to have java, so having java isn't a bad
                            requirement for a chat plugin. I used to have mIrc (I've changed
                            machines since then and I don't think I've downloaded it again),
                            which was pretty easy to use.  We'd still have to find a server. I
                            assume that's true with chatspace as well.

                            -Bryan

                            --- In pcgen@y..., "Richard & Sarah" <OdGregg@b...> wrote:
                            > Not everyone has or wants Java, but there you go :-)
                            >
                            > At least IRC would mean we could choose our own client. Is there a
                            web based IRC interface that allows you to choose your own group.

                            > -Richard

                            Service.

                            >         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            Service.