Re: [pcgen] Chat and PCGen release 28Feb01

  • Lonestar
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
      mmn> Thanks to all who participated in tonight's chat! I tried to make a
      mmn> transcript, however I couldn't select the text in order to copy it.
      mmn> Does anyone know how to do that for future chats?

      We should use IRC the next time ;)

      Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@...
    • Damian

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
          Not everyone has or wants Java, but there you go :-)

          At least IRC would mean we could choose our own client. Is there a web based IRC interface that allows you to choose your own group.

          -Richard

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
            err, well, actually, if you run windows you have java.  part and parcel.

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
              and for the record, it's totally IRC compatable, so any IRC clients can log into it as well.  : )

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                sorry for the multiple posts, but i'm a bit puncy right now.

                we tested it with Cheeta Chat, and it worked fine, as well as with the java plug.

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                  Hi Damian,

                  D> sorry for the multiple posts, but i'm a bit puncy right now.

                  D> we tested it with Cheeta Chat, and it worked fine, as well as with the java plug.

                  Do you think you could give us the url of that server? ;)

                  Lonestar
                • Damian
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001

                  • mocha@mcs.net
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                      I was surprised that the yahoochat didn't make transcripts possible.
                      It's obviously easy to do if you go to a regular chat room - even
                      using mIrc or what-have-you. The only problem with some chat servers
                      is that not everyone can access them. Does anyone know of a chat
                      place we could meet for next time where a transcript could be made?
                      I'm open to suggestions.

                      -Bryan

                    • mocha@mcs.net
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                        Well, to use PCGen you have to have java, so having java isn't a bad
                        requirement for a chat plugin. I used to have mIrc (I've changed
                        machines since then and I don't think I've downloaded it again),
                        which was pretty easy to use. We'd still have to find a server. I
                        assume that's true with chatspace as well.

                        -Bryan

                        --- In pcgen@y..., "Richard & Sarah" <OdGregg@b...> wrote:
                        > Not everyone has or wants Java, but there you go :-)
                        >
                        > At least IRC would mean we could choose our own client. Is there a
                        web based IRC interface that allows you to choose your own group.

                        > -Richard

                        Service.

                        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        Service.
                      • mocha@mcs.net
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                          Don't we also need to have a server we meet on? It's all well and
                          good if we have our IRC clients (or chatspace), but if we don't know
                          *where* to meet, it doesn't do us a whole lot of good. Any
                          suggestions?

                          -Bryan

                          > Thursday, March 01, 2001, 1:32:41 PM, you wrote:
                          >
                          > D> sorry for the multiple posts, but i'm a bit puncy right now.
                          >
                          > D> we tested it with Cheeta Chat, and it worked fine, as well as
                          with the java plug.

                          > Do you think you could give us the url of that server? ;)
                          >

                          > Lonestar
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          Service.
                        • Moulton, Ernie Mr USAREC
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                            You might look into AOL. I no longer have an account there, but I believe
                            they make their chat software available.
                            I will check ATT--they have some kind of chat/chatroom feature.

                            Ernie Moulton
                            E-Mail Administrator **
                            ACS / HQ USAREC
                            502 626-1664 FAX 502 626-0994
                            mailto:moulton@...

                            I was surprised that the yahoochat didn't make transcripts possible.
                            It's obviously easy to do if you go to a regular chat room - even
                            using mIrc or what-have-you. The only problem with some chat servers
                            is that not everyone can access them. Does anyone know of a chat
                            place we could meet for next time where a transcript could be made?
                            I'm open to suggestions.

                            -Bryan

                            --- In pcgen@y..., Lonestar <Lonestar@l...> wrote:
                            > mmn> Thanks to all who participated in tonight's chat! I tried to
                            make a
                            > mmn> transcript, however I couldn't select the text in order to
                            copy it.
                            > mmn> Does anyone know how to do that for future chats?
                            >
                            > We should use IRC the next time ;)
                            >

                            > Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@l...

                          • Damian
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                              nope.  chatspace is a very small program but what you download IS the server.  the client is just a tiny java plug.
                              Well, to use PCGen you have to have java, so having java isn't a bad
                              requirement for a chat plugin. I used to have mIrc (I've changed
                              machines since then and I don't think I've downloaded it again),
                              which was pretty easy to use.  We'd still have to find a server. I
                              assume that's true with chatspace as well.

                              -Bryan

                              --- In pcgen@y..., "Richard & Sarah" <OdGregg@b...> wrote:
                              > Not everyone has or wants Java, but there you go :-)
                              >
                              > At least IRC would mean we could choose our own client. Is there a
                              web based IRC interface that allows you to choose your own group.

                              > -Richard

                              Service.

                              >         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              Service.