RE: [pcgen] Psionics Handbook

  • David Cortijo
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 28, 2001
      OK, time to take a swing at all this.  Gonna go through bit by bit... let's see how long this takes.... (time now - 11:45pm).

      The attack/defense modes aren't necessary to implement as anything more than a special ability according to my understanding.  Since I don't know of any stastical effect of the combat modes on the csheet, the modes can just be listed under the Special Abilities tab under Combat Modes.  If characters need to have the cost of each attack/defense mode on the sheet, the best way to do it is to program an HTML chart on a character sheet, and use that sheet for Psionic characters (I've already found a sheet online that assembles all the compartive costs, benefits, and drawbacks for using a specific attack/defense mode that can be easily copied and integrated - assuming one doesn't exist in the book already).        -        Already possible

      Psions can be handled as Specialized Wizards - including a BONUS:SPELL tag to gain the bonus known power in the specialty (assuming that both the proposed BONUS:SPELL tag is done and that you can set it to match the specialized "school").        -        Already accounted for by Feature Request # 130

      Power points can likely be handled with a defined variable tag (see feature request 126).  A BONUS: tag with an embedded variable could allow Power Point pools to stack as the character gains levels in various Manifesting classes.        -        Already accounted for by Feature Request # 126

      Sorcerers are bound to the level a slot is gained at for a known spell (but then, they don't have anything along the lines of power points either....).  My workaround for this with Psionics would be to allow a "power" selection that is equivalent to a known power of a lower level.  For example, the end of the 5th level Known Power selection list would say Level 0 Power, Level 1 Power, and so on - "moving" the power selection to a lower level.  Apart from that, Known Powers can work EXACTLY the way Known Spells currently does.        -        Already possible, except for the Lower Level selection

      The DC of powers should be implemented as per the Psionics Handbook.  However, keep in mind that you have to crossreference Power Level, Ability Bonus (since Psionics rely on all 6 Ability Scores), and a random d20 roll...  I don't think that much of this can be handled too well code-side without creating a ridiculous number of tags for the DCs (whether or not you decide that Psionics use a "Take 10" scheme rather than the random roll).

      Skills are easy enough to handle, obviously.

      Feats like Inner Strength should be easy enough to handle.... here's how.  Set Feats Inner Strength (I) through Inner Strength (X) (i.e. 1-10).  Each feat gives a bonus to the PP total as per the number, and has a prereq of the previous numbered feat (Inner Strength (III) has a PREFEAT of Inner Strength (II) and grants 3 PPs).  Mental Leap can also be handled in a similar way - assuming that you also use Feature Request # 126 with a VAR:Power Points=3+ type of tag (see the feature request file for more info on what I'm talking about).  PCgen should only handle Max PPs - current PPs shouldn't matter at all in the course of character creation.

      Psionic Powers can be handled just like spells with the following changes:
      Change Components to the Display. No need to change the code surrounding this - it's a text field.
      Casting Time becomes Manifestation time - same deal.
      Schools become Disciplines - again, no need for a code change.

      Most of the changes needed for Psionics are actually NOT code changes, but changes in how the csheet is designed.  In fact, every code change needed for the implementation of Psionics was conveniently listed a week ago.... ;)  You're welcome....

      Dave (that only took 65 minutes.... :P)

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 28, 2001
        Great, lets start building LST files !!!!

        I figured that most of the things were done or on the way. Sometimes
        its best to dump out everything we know about something to make sure
        it can work.

        As for the ability scores, they are grouped by Discipline, so we can
        either build a chart on the csheet.

        I'm glad the features are already setup. Was someone in the know
        before the book came out :)

        -John @ home-

        <SNIP>
      • David Cortijo
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 28, 2001
          Let's just say I have a knack for knowing what might be needed before it's needed.  Hence the reason for the FR classes being half-done already - saves work for later.  Constant access to Dragon Magazines (281 was most helpful in this area) as well as pre-release information from different sites lets people get a very good idea of what's necessary for the system.  Some people have known for months that this is how Psionics would be operating, and enough "hints" about it make it clear as to what assumptions can and can't be made about a system.

          Along the same lines, features 124 and 125 are easy enough to test - I'll try to do some testing later tonight to make sure they work as is.  The feature request will stay if I can't get them working (124 will work unless magic types are hard-coded, and 125 might work).  A side suggestion I have is to be able to implement the Psion more precisely - for example, to be able to set the keyed ability score, specialty discipline, etcetera with a single specialty selection.  This may require a more complex version of the Specialization code, but I believe it can be done.  Again, the ability to define variables and embed them in other choices should make this a bit easier (I could easily add a specialty selection at level 1 of a Psion that defined two variables - one for the specialty Discipline and one for the keyed ability of the sub-class - which would be sufficient to define the PP formulas, where the extra KNOWN: power is taken from, etc) if/when that feature is implemented.  I thought about implementing Psion sub-classes separately, but that would require a restriction on multi-classing of the various classes that would need to be created.

          Oh yeah - as another aside, I was holding off on some of the Dragonlance material because a good amount of it was missing from the website.  However, it has mystically returned, so I will get back to work on that right after I "test" features 124 and 125.

          Dave

        • mocha@mcs.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 2001
            Thanks John! I've printed this off to digest it (burp!). How about a
            little more salt next time? :)
            I've got a few other things I'm working on, but when I'm ready to
            work on this stuff I'll be sure to post my questions so that you (or
            anyone else with the book) can respond (I'll pick up the book myself
            in the next few days).

            -Bryan

            --- In pcgen@y..., "Sussenberger, John" <john.sussenberger@l...>

            6
            > 7 8 9
            > Power Point Cost 0/1 1 3 5 7 9
            11

          • mocha@mcs.net
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1, 2001
              --- In pcgen@y..., "David Cortijo" <dcortijo@i...> wrote:
              > Extremely helpful post, John. I'll wrap my head around it later in
              order to
              > add specific requests as needed. If you could please give me a
              general idea
              > as to what the PP progression is for the classes (i.e. is it based
              on a
              > formula, completely arbitrary, etc), I'd appreciate it - it would
              make my
              > life a million times easier.
              >
              > Another note on spell.lst file. Spells have 3 attributes that are
              listed
              > right after the spell's name in a printed description - School,
              Subschool,
              > and Descriptor (subschool and descriptor don't always exist).
              Please note
              > these are the publishing terms, that MAY NOT correspond to the
              terms used by
              > PCgen.
              >
              > The DESCRIPTOR tag was created as a sort of "second school" for
              spells - for
              > example, in the Al-Qadim campaign, spells are part of the
              Universal, Flame,
              > Sand, Sea, or Wind school - all spells are part of one of these
              schools, and
              > these spells are the only ones "native" to the campaign.
              >
              > However, this does not account for how to input the spells actually
              > "descriptor" (i.e. Mind-Influencing, Fire, Evil, etc). What field,
              > specifically, is this done in in the spell files? I was under the
              > assumption that the field was $effect_type$, as per the description
              in the
              > readme.html file. We need to come up with some sort of universally
              accepted
              > convention for this if files are going to remain distributed this
              way -
              > otherwise, things get too damned confusing....

              The descriptor is all the stuff in brackets in the spell
              description. There was some discussion yesterday about how to attach
              a spell description - and they decided to overwrite the effect_type
              column in phbspell.lst. DESCRIPTOR: is the optional tag in spell.lst
              where stuff like Mind-Influencing can be put. There is no
              grab this from a user-provided file. I won't change the effect_type
              column in my spell.lst files, and (as far as I know) all the
              DESCRIPTOR tags have been added, so my spell.lst files won't be
              changing any time soon. You're right, though, the discussion about
              effect_type, descriptor and description has confused a few people!

              -Bryan

            • mocha@mcs.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 1, 2001
                Thanks Dave and John, your assessments have made my life *much*
                easier! I've printed out John's original email and Dave's response
                (as well as Dave's BONUS: file in the Bugs And Features folder), so
                I've got a lot to absorb. It will be *really cool* to be able to
                support all the psionics stuff and finish support for FR and other
                prestige class sources. I wish I could do this as a job rather than
                as a hobby! :)

                -Bryan
              • Robert Gale
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 6, 2001
                  Bryan,

                  First let me say what a GREAT job your doing with PCGen.
                  I think you SHOULD get paid for doing this!

                  I've been a professional software developer for 20 years and playing
                  D&D longer than that. I do computer game and internet development (I
                  have a consulting firm) and I'd love to help you with PCGen.

                  You want some help? Maybe I could help you with Psionics and monster
                  characters (two of the features I could really use).

                  Send me an email to robgale@... if your
                  interested.

                  - Rob Gale

                  --- In pcgen@y..., mocha@m... wrote:
                  > Thanks Dave and John, your assessments have made my life *much*
                  > easier! I've printed out John's original email and Dave's response
                  > (as well as Dave's BONUS: file in the Bugs And Features folder), so
                  > I've got a lot to absorb. It will be *really cool* to be able to
                  > support all the psionics stuff and finish support for FR and other
                  > prestige class sources. I wish I could do this as a job rather than
                  > as a hobby! :)
                  >
                  > -Bryan
                • Shawn Chesak
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 6, 2001
                    Just as a note, monster characters can be almost perfectly done right now.

                    Create the base monster types as 'classes' and then put in the specific monsters as races.

                    Thus, a hill giant could be made by selecting Hill Giant as a race, and adding levels of 'giant' as a class.

                    After you add a number of giant levels = a hill giant's Hit Dice, you can then begin adding other 'real' classes (fighter, for example).

                    The only problem this poses currently is that the number of skill points the different creature types gets per hit die does not include their intelligence modifier, as other true classes are.  Additionally, the Abberation creature type is supposed to get an additional number of feats based on int mod.  Neither of these exceptions can be properly handled by PCGen right now.

                    Other than those 2 things, however, monsters capabilities in terms of AB, Saving throws, feats, etc. is all based on their hit dice, just as if the monster type were a class.  I've added monster races to a custom lst file on my end, and have created 'classes' for Abberation, Giant, Humanoid, and Monstrous Humanoid in order to create monster types.  I just add a note in the SA: tag of the 'class' for how many skill points they SHOULD have by INT and hitdie, and then modify that part manually.

                    The only reason I haven't uploaded what I have done to the yahoogroup file section is because of the 2 features that don't work right currently. (I've created lst files of all of the spells and classes from Sword and Sorcery's Relics and Rituals and every magic item from the DMG as well, but for similiar reasons of not-full compatability I haven't uploaded those either).

                    Dragon #276 has an excellent article regarding how to 'build a monster' and each of the monster-types is detailed there in just the right format to make them into a 'class' for pcgen.  The creatures in the Monster Manual all conform to those guidelines as well, btw. (at least all of those listing advancement "by character class").

                    ---
                    Shawn A. Chesak
                    Stormkeep GM -- http://www.stormkeep.net

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 6, 2001
                      Yeah - it really won't take much to make what you want to work. I
                      hadn't really thought about that when I started writing PCGen, but it
                      falls into place nicely. I plan on making all the tags in the race
                      files avaialble to be overridden in the class files, making a class
                      pretty much able to replace a race. The only other tweaks are what
                      you mention - feats and skill points, which are trivial. I'll get
                      there, and then I'll be quite interested in what you've put together
                      in your monster lst file! :)

                      -Bryan

                    • Lonestar
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 6, 2001
                        Hello Shawn,

                        SC> The only reason I haven't uploaded what I have done to the yahoogroup file
                        SC> section is because of the 2 features that don't work right currently. (I've
                        SC> created lst files of all of the spells and classes from Sword and Sorcery's
                        SC> Relics and Rituals and every magic item from the DMG as well, but for
                        SC> similiar reasons of not-full compatability I haven't uploaded those
                        SC> either).

                        Relics & Rituals?
                        Oh why does all the work have to be done twice?
                        Would you mind sending me those R&R lst files?

                        Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@...
                      • Robert Hilson
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 7, 2001
                          personally like i have said i am haveing a tracker made, for combat and for
                          ease of use. if pcgen stayed the same, and a copy of it was made into mongen,
                          with related info i could have up 3 programs, one for tracking combat, one for
                          the specifics of pc's and one for the specifics of the monsters. i personally
                          would prefer to have the 3 up, allows each more features and abilities than one
                          program that does all. my combat tracker (built by a friend should be pu in
                          about a week or 2(unexpected trouble and a little harder than she thought)
                          currently you copy the text of a monster into the tab for monsters say how many
                          and poof 6 goblins, goblin1, goblin2. etc. just saying maby once you see what i
                          want the tracker to do youll understand.

                          =====
                          Robert Hilson
                          https://secure.paypal.com/affil/pal=okuth0r%40yahoo.com

                          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/