Re: [pcgen] Chat and PCGen release 28Feb01

  • Damian
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 28, 2001
      errr I DO have a suggestion though.  chatspace has a nice chat java chat server, and it's accessable through netscape or IE.  it's free too. i'll hunt around for a link.
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
        mmn> Thanks to all who participated in tonight's chat! I tried to make a
        mmn> transcript, however I couldn't select the text in order to copy it.
        mmn> Does anyone know how to do that for future chats?

        We should use IRC the next time ;)

        Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@...
      • Damian

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
            Not everyone has or wants Java, but there you go :-)

            At least IRC would mean we could choose our own client. Is there a web based IRC interface that allows you to choose your own group.

            -Richard

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
              err, well, actually, if you run windows you have java.  part and parcel.

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                and for the record, it's totally IRC compatable, so any IRC clients can log into it as well.  : )

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                  sorry for the multiple posts, but i'm a bit puncy right now.

                  we tested it with Cheeta Chat, and it worked fine, as well as with the java plug.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                    Hi Damian,

                    D> sorry for the multiple posts, but i'm a bit puncy right now.

                    D> we tested it with Cheeta Chat, and it worked fine, as well as with the java plug.

                    Do you think you could give us the url of that server? ;)

                    Lonestar
                  • Damian
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001

                    • mocha@mcs.net
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                        I was surprised that the yahoochat didn't make transcripts possible.
                        It's obviously easy to do if you go to a regular chat room - even
                        using mIrc or what-have-you. The only problem with some chat servers
                        is that not everyone can access them. Does anyone know of a chat
                        place we could meet for next time where a transcript could be made?
                        I'm open to suggestions.

                        -Bryan

                      • mocha@mcs.net
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                          Well, to use PCGen you have to have java, so having java isn't a bad
                          requirement for a chat plugin. I used to have mIrc (I've changed
                          machines since then and I don't think I've downloaded it again),
                          which was pretty easy to use. We'd still have to find a server. I
                          assume that's true with chatspace as well.

                          -Bryan

                          --- In pcgen@y..., "Richard & Sarah" <OdGregg@b...> wrote:
                          > Not everyone has or wants Java, but there you go :-)
                          >
                          > At least IRC would mean we could choose our own client. Is there a
                          web based IRC interface that allows you to choose your own group.

                          > -Richard

                          Service.

                          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          Service.
                        • mocha@mcs.net
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                            Don't we also need to have a server we meet on? It's all well and
                            good if we have our IRC clients (or chatspace), but if we don't know
                            *where* to meet, it doesn't do us a whole lot of good. Any
                            suggestions?

                            -Bryan

                            > Thursday, March 01, 2001, 1:32:41 PM, you wrote:
                            >
                            > D> sorry for the multiple posts, but i'm a bit puncy right now.
                            >
                            > D> we tested it with Cheeta Chat, and it worked fine, as well as
                            with the java plug.

                            > Do you think you could give us the url of that server? ;)
                            >

                            > Lonestar
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            Service.
                          • Moulton, Ernie Mr USAREC
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                              You might look into AOL. I no longer have an account there, but I believe
                              they make their chat software available.
                              I will check ATT--they have some kind of chat/chatroom feature.

                              Ernie Moulton
                              E-Mail Administrator **
                              ACS / HQ USAREC
                              502 626-1664 FAX 502 626-0994
                              mailto:moulton@...

                              I was surprised that the yahoochat didn't make transcripts possible.
                              It's obviously easy to do if you go to a regular chat room - even
                              using mIrc or what-have-you. The only problem with some chat servers
                              is that not everyone can access them. Does anyone know of a chat
                              place we could meet for next time where a transcript could be made?
                              I'm open to suggestions.

                              -Bryan

                              --- In pcgen@y..., Lonestar <Lonestar@l...> wrote:
                              > mmn> Thanks to all who participated in tonight's chat! I tried to
                              make a
                              > mmn> transcript, however I couldn't select the text in order to
                              copy it.
                              > mmn> Does anyone know how to do that for future chats?
                              >
                              > We should use IRC the next time ;)
                              >

                              > Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@l...

                            • Damian
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                                nope.  chatspace is a very small program but what you download IS the server.  the client is just a tiny java plug.
                                Well, to use PCGen you have to have java, so having java isn't a bad
                                requirement for a chat plugin. I used to have mIrc (I've changed
                                machines since then and I don't think I've downloaded it again),
                                which was pretty easy to use.  We'd still have to find a server. I
                                assume that's true with chatspace as well.

                                -Bryan

                                --- In pcgen@y..., "Richard & Sarah" <OdGregg@b...> wrote:
                                > Not everyone has or wants Java, but there you go :-)
                                >
                                > At least IRC would mean we could choose our own client. Is there a
                                web based IRC interface that allows you to choose your own group.

                                > -Richard

                                Service.

                                >         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                Service.