Chat and PCGen release 28Feb01

  • mocha@mcs.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 28, 2001
      Thanks to all who participated in tonight's chat! I tried to make a
      transcript, however I couldn't select the text in order to copy it.
      Does anyone know how to do that for future chats?

      Anyway, on to tonight's release....
      Bugs (did I say there weren't any???) :)
      1. Improved Critical feat wasn't getting any options (changed
      phbfeat.lst)
      2. 4th level Ranger wasn't getting bonus 1st level spell (actually a
      problem in phbclass.lst for Ranger, and I corrected the logic for
      adding CAST: to classes which didn't specify it every level)
      3. Bug in EXCLUDE: and INCLUDE: for campaigns. I think this option is
      working correctly now.

      Features
      1. added pcgen.ini - when you quit PCGen all the options in the
      Options tab are saved. when you launch PCGen the next time, they're
      re-selected for you.
      2. added optimization for lst file loading. Once a lst file is fully
      loaded, it is not reloaded again even if another campaign references
      it. (note: when you hit the Load button, everything is removed, so
      the lst files need to be loaded again, but at least now it's only
      loaded once)
      3. added RANK: option to pcc file. This optional field indicates its
      priority - 1 being the highest. phb.pcc has RANK:1 and dmg.pcc has
      RANK:2. No matter what order you select campaigns in, those with
      RANKS sort to the top. If you add RANK: to a pcc file, it must be the
      second line in the file.

      I'll be uploading this to my release site
      (http://www.mcs.net/~mocha/frp/3e) in a few minutes...
      -Bryan
    • Damian

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
          mmn> Thanks to all who participated in tonight's chat! I tried to make a
          mmn> transcript, however I couldn't select the text in order to copy it.
          mmn> Does anyone know how to do that for future chats?

          We should use IRC the next time ;)

          Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@...
        • Damian

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
              Not everyone has or wants Java, but there you go :-)

              At least IRC would mean we could choose our own client. Is there a web based IRC interface that allows you to choose your own group.

              -Richard

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                err, well, actually, if you run windows you have java.  part and parcel.

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                  and for the record, it's totally IRC compatable, so any IRC clients can log into it as well.  : )

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                    sorry for the multiple posts, but i'm a bit puncy right now.

                    we tested it with Cheeta Chat, and it worked fine, as well as with the java plug.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                      Hi Damian,

                      D> sorry for the multiple posts, but i'm a bit puncy right now.

                      D> we tested it with Cheeta Chat, and it worked fine, as well as with the java plug.

                      Do you think you could give us the url of that server? ;)

                      Lonestar
                    • Damian
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                          I was surprised that the yahoochat didn't make transcripts possible.
                          It's obviously easy to do if you go to a regular chat room - even
                          using mIrc or what-have-you. The only problem with some chat servers
                          is that not everyone can access them. Does anyone know of a chat
                          place we could meet for next time where a transcript could be made?
                          I'm open to suggestions.

                          -Bryan

                        • mocha@mcs.net
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                            Well, to use PCGen you have to have java, so having java isn't a bad
                            requirement for a chat plugin. I used to have mIrc (I've changed
                            machines since then and I don't think I've downloaded it again),
                            which was pretty easy to use. We'd still have to find a server. I
                            assume that's true with chatspace as well.

                            -Bryan

                            --- In pcgen@y..., "Richard & Sarah" <OdGregg@b...> wrote:
                            > Not everyone has or wants Java, but there you go :-)
                            >
                            > At least IRC would mean we could choose our own client. Is there a
                            web based IRC interface that allows you to choose your own group.

                            > -Richard

                            Service.

                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            Service.
                          • mocha@mcs.net
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                              Don't we also need to have a server we meet on? It's all well and
                              good if we have our IRC clients (or chatspace), but if we don't know
                              *where* to meet, it doesn't do us a whole lot of good. Any
                              suggestions?

                              -Bryan

                              > Thursday, March 01, 2001, 1:32:41 PM, you wrote:
                              >
                              > D> sorry for the multiple posts, but i'm a bit puncy right now.
                              >
                              > D> we tested it with Cheeta Chat, and it worked fine, as well as
                              with the java plug.

                              > Do you think you could give us the url of that server? ;)
                              >

                              > Lonestar
                              >

                              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              Service.
                            • Moulton, Ernie Mr USAREC
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                                You might look into AOL. I no longer have an account there, but I believe
                                they make their chat software available.
                                I will check ATT--they have some kind of chat/chatroom feature.

                                Ernie Moulton
                                E-Mail Administrator **
                                ACS / HQ USAREC
                                502 626-1664 FAX 502 626-0994
                                mailto:moulton@...

                                I was surprised that the yahoochat didn't make transcripts possible.
                                It's obviously easy to do if you go to a regular chat room - even
                                using mIrc or what-have-you. The only problem with some chat servers
                                is that not everyone can access them. Does anyone know of a chat
                                place we could meet for next time where a transcript could be made?
                                I'm open to suggestions.

                                -Bryan

                                --- In pcgen@y..., Lonestar <Lonestar@l...> wrote:
                                > mmn> Thanks to all who participated in tonight's chat! I tried to
                                make a
                                > mmn> transcript, however I couldn't select the text in order to
                                copy it.
                                > mmn> Does anyone know how to do that for future chats?
                                >
                                > We should use IRC the next time ;)
                                >

                                > Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@l...

                              • Damian
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                                  nope.  chatspace is a very small program but what you download IS the server.  the client is just a tiny java plug.
                                  Well, to use PCGen you have to have java, so having java isn't a bad
                                  requirement for a chat plugin. I used to have mIrc (I've changed
                                  machines since then and I don't think I've downloaded it again),
                                  which was pretty easy to use.  We'd still have to find a server. I
                                  assume that's true with chatspace as well.

                                  -Bryan

                                  --- In pcgen@y..., "Richard & Sarah" <OdGregg@b...> wrote:
                                  > Not everyone has or wants Java, but there you go :-)
                                  >
                                  > At least IRC would mean we could choose our own client. Is there a
                                  web based IRC interface that allows you to choose your own group.

                                  > -Richard

                                  Service.

                                  >         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                  Service.