Re: Feature Ideas

  • Richard O'Doherty-Gregg
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 27, 2001
      I think you'll find my character sheet (csheetROG) does include the
      list of all known spells.

      I thought it was pointless displaying the list of memorized spells as
      this will change possibly many times during a single session (or at
      least it does in my group).

      It's up to the players to mark the spells that they have learnt on
      the sheet.

      And if a fix/improvement of the |FOR tag gets implemented sometime
      I'll include a column for the players to mark their memorized
      spells :-)

      Would people like their individual spellbooks listed on seperate
      sheets? Is this possible with the current tags?

      -Richard

    • zebuleon@peoplepc.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 27, 2001
        > 5) Spell, I'd love to see more detail about the spell in the .lst
        file and
        > on the character sheet in the final printing. Sorry I don't want to
        have to
        > go digging up an older issue of Dragon that is lost in some pile in
        my
        > house, so that I can see what the spell does.

        If we put to much more information, except for the one line
        descriptions maybe, we could get into trouble over copyright issues,
        because you wouldn't need to go buy the items. They(WOC) wouldn't
        like that to much if we made all the information available for free.
        so unless you want to enter more data yourself I suggest you hold onto
        those dragons. ;)

        Mario
      • moulton@usarec.army.mil
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 27, 2001
          -
          YOu have an editor on the way. First blush is downloadable in the
          files section... this is minimal, just a proof of concept. It is
          intended for lst files, but could easily be extended to .pcc, but not
          sure that is necessary, since after all, that is just a list.

          Ernie...

          -- In pcgen@y..., "Anzak Wolf" <anzak@h...> wrote:
          > I'm new to the mailing list, but after playing with this for a few
          days and
          > reading all your comments I think you have some of the right
          ideas. First
          > off I'd like to say great job PCgen is a great tool with a lot of
          the same
          > things I was thinking I would put in a software package if I built
          something
          > like this. With that said now I'm going to share a number of ideas
          that I
          > think will greatly enhance PCgen.
          >
          > 1) You talk about sorting orders and such. My suggestion is that
          you have a
          > check to see if a .lst file has been loaded. If it has you ignore
          it if not
          > then you load it. Next dependencies in the .pcc files. So the
          dmg.pcc will
          > have a dependency on the phb.pcc so the phb.pcc will be force
          loaded first
          > if it is selected or not. I mean most everyone I can think of will
          want to
          > load the PBH anyway.
          >
          > 2) A builder tool for creating .pcc and .lst files. My idea would
          be to
          > first select a set of defaults then go through and add or remove as
          needed.
          > For example in my game I will be using all the files I can get my
          hands on
          > with the exception of the Deities and the meta-magic feat max.
          Spell Damage
          > (I feel this one is a munchkin power and should have never been put
          in the
          > PHB to begin with) So ideally to create my custom world I could
          just load
          > all the .pcc files and .lst file then go through and select the
          things I
          > don't want and maybe add a new spell or two. Then a new .pcc
          and .lst files
          > would be created with all the things I wanted.
          >
          > 3) The campain.lst is silly if you ask me. Why not just grab all
          the .pcc
          > files in the directory since they are listed in a different order
          than you
          > put them in the campain.lst file anyway. It would cut out one file
          and add
          > the ability to not have to update that file if you add a new .pcc
          file

          > 4) Prestige classes, it would be nice to see these clearly marked
          as such
          > maybe even with a different tab for them. This way you know what
          it is and
          > not just a guess.
          >
          > 5) Spell, I'd love to see more detail about the spell in the .lst
          file and
          > on the character sheet in the final printing. Sorry I don't want
          to have to
          > go digging up an older issue of Dragon that is lost in some pile in
          my
          > house, so that I can see what the spell does. I noticed that it
          prompts you
          > for a Spell book name, but does nothing with that on the character
          sheet.
          > As a matter of fact he character sheets I have seen show nothing,
          but the
          > currently memorized spells, which is not very usefull if I'm
          getting ready
          > to memorize my spells for the day and I can't look at a sheet to
          see what I
          > know. This is import in the case like mine where I the GM hold all
          the
          > character sheets and keep a copy on the web for the player then the
          player
          > tell me what to do with their character. Since they do not see the
          tool
          > they do not know what spells they can and can not memorize unless
          they write
          > it down which then creates two locations for the information.
          >
          > 6) Duplicate entries. I think you should not throw away duplicates
          rather
          > load them with a (2) or something like that or maybe each .pcc file
          can have
          > an abbriation tag AB:FR then if there are two spells of the same
          name then
          > one will be Color Spray (PHB) and Color Spray (FR) noting that the
          > difference in the source now I can have two different spells called
          Color

        • mocha@mcs.net
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 27, 2001
            --- In pcgen@y..., "Anzak Wolf" <anzak@h...> wrote:
            > I'm new to the mailing list, but after playing with this for a few
            days and
            > reading all your comments I think you have some of the right
            ideas. First
            > off I'd like to say great job PCgen is a great tool with a lot of
            the same
            > things I was thinking I would put in a software package if I built
            something
            > like this. With that said now I'm going to share a number of ideas
            that I
            > think will greatly enhance PCgen.
            >
            > 1) You talk about sorting orders and such. My suggestion is that
            you have a
            > check to see if a .lst file has been loaded. If it has you ignore
            it if not
            > then you load it. Next dependencies in the .pcc files. So the
            dmg.pcc will
            > have a dependency on the phb.pcc so the phb.pcc will be force
            loaded first
            > if it is selected or not. I mean most everyone I can think of will
            want to
            > load the PBH anyway.

            That's one way to handle it - though there's no reason I can assume
            that even if in your campaign you reference phbrace.lst that you want
            everything else from phb.pcc. What I'm going to implement is adding
            RANK: to the pcc files, and I'll sort according to the ranks instead
            of the order you select things. If no rank is given, then it gets
            loaded last. I'll also keep track of what files have been loaded
            previously so I don't have to load it again. This should help cut
            load time for multiple campaigns and help insure you don't load
            campaigns out of order.

            > 2) A builder tool for creating .pcc and .lst files. My idea would
            be to
            > first select a set of defaults then go through and add or remove as
            needed.
            > For example in my game I will be using all the files I can get my
            hands on
            > with the exception of the Deities and the meta-magic feat max.
            Spell Damage
            > (I feel this one is a munchkin power and should have never been put
            in the
            > PHB to begin with) So ideally to create my custom world I could
            just load
            > all the .pcc files and .lst file then go through and select the
            things I
            > don't want and maybe add a new spell or two. Then a new .pcc and
            .lst files
            > would be created with all the things I wanted.

            I could create an "Export Campaign" option which would dump out
            everything to a default series of lst files and generate a
            corresponding pcc file. You could then toss out things you didn't
            want.

            > 3) The campain.lst is silly if you ask me. Why not just grab all
            the .pcc
            > files in the directory since they are listed in a different order
            than you
            > put them in the campain.lst file anyway. It would cut out one file
            and add
            > the ability to not have to update that file if you add a new .pcc
            file

            One reason is I'm currently using J++ and I haven't found a way to
            get a directory listing. The Files object can do this in normal Java,
            but J++ isn't really Java (hence Sun sueing the butt off Microsoft).
            I'm hoping to get off J++ soon so this will become a non-issue, and
            then I will no longer need the campaign.lst file. So it's demise is
            planned.

            > 4) Prestige classes, it would be nice to see these clearly marked
            as such
            > maybe even with a different tab for them. This way you know what
            it is and
            > not just a guess.

            I don't want a separate tab - how about putting a (P) at the end of
            the name in the class tab? Would something like that be visual
            enough? I thought that simply putting a '*' at the beginning to class
            names for which you don't qualify should be hint enough - either
            there are alignment restrictions or its a prestige class.

            > 5) Spell, I'd love to see more detail about the spell in the .lst
            file and
            > on the character sheet in the final printing. Sorry I don't want
            to have to
            > go digging up an older issue of Dragon that is lost in some pile in
            my
            > house, so that I can see what the spell does. I noticed that it
            prompts you
            > for a Spell book name, but does nothing with that on the character
            sheet.
            > As a matter of fact he character sheets I have seen show nothing,
            but the
            > currently memorized spells, which is not very usefull if I'm
            getting ready
            > to memorize my spells for the day and I can't look at a sheet to
            see what I
            > know. This is import in the case like mine where I the GM hold all
            the
            > character sheets and keep a copy on the web for the player then the
            player
            > tell me what to do with their character. Since they do not see the
            tool
            > they do not know what spells they can and can not memorize unless
            they write
            > it down which then creates two locations for the information.

            At some point we stop listing just game mechanic info (which is not
            copyrightable) and get into listing flavor text (which is a definite
            no-no due to copyright). I have toyed with the idea of allowing users
            to create a file which can associate an object name (say a special
            ability, a spell, or whatever) and a description. This would
            accomplish your need - and I'd make it available in the csheet token
            list.

            > 6) Duplicate entries. I think you should not throw away duplicates
            rather
            > load them with a (2) or something like that or maybe each .pcc file
            can have
            > an abbriation tag AB:FR then if there are two spells of the same
            name then
            > one will be Color Spray (PHB) and Color Spray (FR) noting that the
            > difference in the source now I can have two different spells called
            Color
            > Spray. And if you use the builder to create your fr.pcc then
            anything that
            > you wanted from the PHB could be built in before you add extra
            stuff.

            That brings up logical conundrums - suppose Color Spray (PHB) can be
            cast as a 4th level spell for Wizards, while Color Spray (FR) is a
            6th level spell for Wizards and Druids? I'm going to have to deal
            with this with two classes named Sorcerer - I forget where the other
            one comes from, Dragon? Anyway, I'm still not entirely certain how to
            handle this - or if I should simply for the new Sorcerer class to
            have a slight name change.

            > 7) Files, Dude this is java. Check weekly for new .pcc and .lst
            files from
            > a set web site. Hell you could even check the PCgen version
            against the
            > current version on the website and D/L the newest version (Promting
            first of
            > course) Also you could put an U/L feature to send user submission
            to a
            > place to be held and reviewed.

            That's kind of the purpose that Campaign+Central serves, if you look
            in the Files section. There's also a place where some users have
            added some nifty character sheets that I don't include with my
            releases. I could put buttons to help automate the download and
            upload of PCGen's files, but at this point I'd rather spend my time
            adding support for prestige classes and whatnot. This is a 'nifty'
            thing that I'll get to when more critical functionality has been
            completed. So don't stop with the ideas - I just want you to know
            that I have a certain prioritization, and can never spend as much
            time on PCGen as I would like. :)

            > Overall I'm just looking for ways to cut human error out of the
            picture and
            > get the system automated. Anyway I think I've gone on long enough
            and I'm
            > sure over the next few weeks I'll come up with more ideas for you.

            Great! Keep the ideas coming - you've got good ones!

            -Bryan

          • mocha@mcs.net
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 27, 2001
              My default csheet.htm will display the spells you have memorized in
              your selected book. So if you create more than 1 spellbook, just
              select the Spellbook in the Spell tab and print your character. I
              think I uploaded a spellbook charactersheet that will display all the
              spells you know, including all the info about them, regardless of
              what spellbook the spells are in.

              -Bryan

              --- In pcgen@y..., "Richard O'Doherty-Gregg" <OdGregg@b...> wrote:
              > I think you'll find my character sheet (csheetROG) does include the
              > list of all known spells.
              >
              > I thought it was pointless displaying the list of memorized spells
              as
              > this will change possibly many times during a single session (or at
              > least it does in my group).
              >
              > It's up to the players to mark the spells that they have learnt on
              > the sheet.
              >
              > And if a fix/improvement of the |FOR tag gets implemented sometime
              > I'll include a column for the players to mark their memorized
              > spells :-)
              >
              > Would people like their individual spellbooks listed on seperate
              > sheets? Is this possible with the current tags?
              >
              > -Richard
              >
              > --- In pcgen@y..., "Anzak Wolf" <anzak@h...> wrote:
              > > I noticed that it prompts you
              > > for a Spell book name, but does nothing with that on the
              character
              > sheet.
              > > As a matter of fact he character sheets I have seen show nothing,
              > but the
              > > currently memorized spells, which is not very usefull if I'm
              > getting ready
              > > to memorize my spells for the day and I can't look at a sheet to
              > see what I
              > > know. This is import in the case like mine where I the GM hold
              all
              > the
              > > character sheets and keep a copy on the web for the player then
              the
              > player
              > > tell me what to do with their character
            • David Cortijo
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 27, 2001
                Some really good ideas.  Just a couple of notes.

                - It's not possible to include spell descriptions due to a number of copyright and OGL issues.
                - The automatic UL/DL of LST files is also not possible.  Once the new website is active, LST and PCC files will have to be maintained separately from the executable (they are distributed that way on purpose in preparation).  Again, this is due to OGL and copyright issues.

                Dave

                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 27, 2001
                  I do believe you can put the information in the spot that is called
                  &effect type& just make sure the &effect& spot has the area,target or
                  other effect listed. Then get one of the csheet designers to make that
                  tag available on the sheet.

                  Mario

                  --- In pcgen@y..., "Anzak Wolf" <anzak@h...> wrote:
                  > > > 5) Spell, I'd love to see more detail about the spell in the
                  .lst
                  > >file and
                  > > > on the character sheet in the final printing. Sorry I don't
                  want to
                  > >have to
                  > > > go digging up an older issue of Dragon that is lost in some pile
                  in
                  > >my
                  > > > house, so that I can see what the spell does.
                  > >
                  > >If we put to much more information, except for the one line
                  > >descriptions maybe, we could get into trouble over copyright
                  issues,
                  > >because you wouldn't need to go buy the items. They(WOC) wouldn't
                  > >like that to much if we made all the information available for
                  free.
                  > >so unless you want to enter more data yourself I suggest you hold
                  onto
                  > >those dragons. ;)
                  >

                  > Ah yes Copy Right laws have to love them. Does the program allow
                  you to
                  > extend the Spells out to their full length. I will gladly create my
                  own
                  > spell files that I will keep to myself if they can handle the whole
                  spell
                  > discription.
                • Damian

                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 28, 2001
                        > > 5) Spell, I'd love to see more detail about the spell in the .lst
                        >file and
                        > > on the character sheet in the final printing. Sorry I don't want to
                        >have to
                        > > go digging up an older issue of Dragon that is lost in some pile in
                        >my
                        > > house, so that I can see what the spell does.
                        >
                        >If we put to much more information, except for the one line
                        >descriptions maybe, we could get into trouble over copyright issues,
                        >because you wouldn't need to go buy the items. They(WOC) wouldn't
                        >like that to much if we made all the information available for free.
                        >so unless you want to enter more data yourself I suggest you hold onto
                        >those dragons. ;)

                        Ah yes Copy Right laws have to love them. Does the program allow you to
                        extend the Spells out to their full length. I will gladly create my own
                        spell files that I will keep to myself if they can handle the whole spell
                        discription.
                      • STILES, BRAD
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 28, 2001
                          RE: [pcgen] Re: Feature Ideas

                          > > 5) Spell, I'd love to see more detail about the spell in the .lst
                          > > file and on the character sheet in the final printing.  Sorry I
                          > > don't want to have to go digging up an older issue of Dragon
                          > > that is lost in some pile in my house, so that I can see what
                          > > the spell does.
                          >
                          > If we put to much more information, except for the one line
                          > descriptions maybe, we could get into trouble over copyright issues,
                          > because you wouldn't need to go buy the items.

                          While this is true for WotC published stuff, what about D20 (when it's actually released) and homebrew stuff.  There's nothing preventing that from being included.

                          I believe Bryan mentioned something about possibly using XML for his storage mechanism in the future.  It might be advisable to wait for that before implementing such a feature.  Adding a long string to an XML document should be loads easier than parsing it from a line in a flat file.

                          Brad

                        • Lonestar
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 28, 2001
                            zpc> If we put to much more information, except for the one line
                            zpc> descriptions maybe, we could get into trouble over copyright issues,
                            zpc> because you wouldn't need to go buy the items. They(WOC) wouldn't
                            zpc> like that to much if we made all the information available for free.
                            zpc> so unless you want to enter more data yourself I suggest you hold onto
                            zpc> those dragons. ;)

                            Umm, just a question: What should I use for spell descriptors (the
                            entries listed in [] for several spells) in the xxxspell.lst, the effect_type field or the
                            DESCRIPTOR tag?
                            I'm just asking, because right now I'm using the effect_type field for
                            the one-line spell descriptions. (I'm doing some of the spells of the
                            Relics&Rituals)

                            Lonestar
                          • mocha@mcs.net
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 28, 2001
                              I think what has been suggested is using the effect-type tag unless
                              (or until...) I add in a hook where you can put descriptions in a
                              file of your choosing and grab the descriptions from there and dump
                              it out with a DESCRIPTION tag.

                              -Bryan

                            • zebuleon@peoplepc.com
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 28, 2001
                                --- In pcgen@y..., mocha@m... wrote:
                                > I think what has been suggested is using the effect-type tag unless
                                > (or until...) I add in a hook where you can put descriptions in a
                                > file of your choosing and grab the descriptions from there and dump
                                > it out with a DESCRIPTION tag.
                                >
                                > -Bryan

                                I don't understand, I thought the DESCRIPTOR tag was working, was it a
                                waste for me to go through and add all those tags to the spells if
                                your not going to use them? I'm not mad or anything but you should
                                have told me to put them in the effect_type spot instead.

                                For the R&R spells should I move the descriptor information to the
                                effect_type spot or leave it with the Descriptor tag?

                                Mario
                              • Moulton, Ernie Mr USAREC
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 28, 2001
                                  Well, I havent left yet. On line with USAA. They will do the truck at 10%

                                  We will have papers by Friday, to FedEx back
                                  Love,

                                  Ernie Moulton
                                  E-Mail Administrator **
                                  ACS / HQ USAREC
                                  502 626-1664 FAX 502 626-0994
                                  mailto:moulton@...

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 28, 2001
                                    OOOPs.

                                    Ernie Moulton
                                    E-Mail Administrator **
                                    ACS / HQ USAREC
                                    502 626-1664 FAX 502 626-0994
                                    mailto:moulton@...

                                  • john.sussenberger@libertymutual.com
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 28, 2001
                                      Ernie,

                                      I didn't know you cared ;)

                                      P.S. don't tell my wife :-0

                                      -John-

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 28, 2001
                                        I said DESCRIPTION tag, not DESCRIPTOR. :) I can see how you'd be
                                        confused.
                                        DESCRIPTION is a tag I want to make work for all objects. the
                                        DESCRIPTOR tag is intended to be kind of an alternate-school
                                        capability for spells. If you don't want to use it this way, and
                                        since (I think, anyway, I'd have to check to be sure) you can output
                                        the DESCRIPTOR tag for spells, you haven't wasted your time.
                                        So, yes, the DESCRIPTOR tag is working (at least I haven't heard that
                                        it isn't...)

                                        -Bryan

                                      • zebuleon@peoplepc.com
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Feb 28, 2001