Re: database query idea?

  • merton_monk@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2 6:31 PM
      The very 'first' full-featured character generator I wrote was in
      Basic on the Apple IIe. You could create a character of any level
      and race, and you could buy all the magic items in the DMG. It
      included a random scroll generator (per the DMG magic scroll table -
      it would randomly select the spell of the given levels) and a random
      magic item generator. Everything was much more static then, so
      coding it was fairly straightforward. 3e is far more flexible, which
      makes it easier database wise (only need to have a database with the
      archetypes in it, not all the actual possible combinations) and more
      difficult coding wise (instead of one random roll to pick an item
      from a fixed list, you need to randomly generate combinations of
      enchantments, etc.). I think once we get equipment done in a way
      where you can apply various attributes to it that randomly generating
      one isn't too far fetched - the difficulty would be on deciding what
      probabilities to assign to each attribute or combination of
      attributes. Once we get this equipment stuff done, we can more
      seriously discuss the details of how we might do this.

      -Bryan