Re: Loading all sources versus piecemeal

  • merton_monk@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1 11:42 AM
      One monkey wrench in this is that java is fairly bad at memory
      management. Okay, bad is a bad word... more like you don't have as
      much control over memory management as you do with other languages.
      Simply telling java to recycle memory is not a trivial undertaking.

      I think that we can address this issue in 2 ways:
      1. users who really need to minimize the memory footprint can cut
      down the lst files to exactly what they need - cut out any races from
      phbrace.lst they don't use, cut out the magic weapons they don't use,
      etc.
      2. we'll slowly make out objects more efficient in their memory usage
      - since most of us developer types tend to have workhorse machines,
      this is probably low priority and will be addressed by slowly over
      time.

      -Bryan
    • bd_92@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1 4:25 PM
        > I think that we can address this issue in 2 ways:
        > 1. users who really need to minimize the memory footprint can cut
        > down the lst files to exactly what they need - cut out any races
        from
        > phbrace.lst they don't use, cut out the magic weapons they don't
        use,
        > etc.

        But in this instance when updates are made to the .lst file we would
        have to reedit them again. This would be tedious and time consuming.
        Some of the folk that use the low end boxes don't have time to that
        over and over as they are updated.

        > 2. we'll slowly make out objects more efficient in their memory
        usage
        > - since most of us developer types tend to have workhorse machines,
        > this is probably low priority and will be addressed by slowly over
        > time.

        Still trying to get this blasted NIC to work in the laptop to dl
        pcgen.jar file.

        this would be an ideal solution to create a PCGen Lite version that
        would have most of the guts ripped out and only the core files added.
        I wouldn't know which files you would need or use but I am sure
        someone has an idea. This way you could produce 2 versions of it and
        still proceeding on the main course, but once your new conversion is
        taken place in the upcoming versions then what does it do the memory
        allocation and usage?